Michigan guys

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
oldrank

Re: Michigan guys

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:04 am

Ack wrote:Definitely the NW lower......the steelhead fishing is better up there! 8-)

But seriously, it's a great area with tons of public land and other things to do, especially if you aren't super far from TC.

Only downside is you'll have to deal with the hills, which could be a problem if there are health issues. A quad could solve that problem though.

As far as the APR thing, the age class of deer might be better....probably depends on the area. You could end up with a bunch of 12" basket racks if the food isn't great though.

Thanks Ack.

The steelhead fishing is playing a big part in this too.

First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:13 am

oldrank wrote:
Ack wrote:Definitely the NW lower......the steelhead fishing is better up there! 8-)

But seriously, it's a great area with tons of public land and other things to do, especially if you aren't super far from TC.

Only downside is you'll have to deal with the hills, which could be a problem if there are health issues. A quad could solve that problem though.

As far as the APR thing, the age class of deer might be better....probably depends on the area. You could end up with a bunch of 12" basket racks if the food isn't great though.

Thanks Ack.

The steelhead fishing is playing a big part in this too.

SW lower Michigan has good steelhead fishing. We do pretty good in that area of the state. The St Joe and Muskegon are some of my favorite.

However NW LP gets my vote for kings.

The upland hunting for grouse and woodcock is good in the NW LP too and you have more land than you can hunt in a season. They have Sept openings so you can always chase those around for a little before deer season. Last couple trips we were getting 20 to 30 flushes a day without a dog mainly woodcock but some grouse too.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:33 am

oldrank wrote:What are your guys thoughts on pounded southern Michigan public vs UP private/public.

I posted a few months ago about buying some land up there. I've talked to a few guys at work n some buddies and I seem to get the same general consensus. There are not alot of deer up there.

My thoughts are this. I have hunted public land down here for over 20 years. It isn't all peaches n cream as we all know. Even though surrounding farm land may have good deer numbers the public is generally "shot up".

I am lucky to see one deer a hunt. Sometimes I can go days or weeks seeing nothing.

Do you guys in the same boat feel a decent size piece of private land butting up to national forest would be better ?

Do you think I should look in the NW 12 area instead?

Thx
Shad

If you target NW12, though I think you will find land prices in those counties has inched upwards due to perceived quality hunting. Still deals to be had if you are patient. Anecdotally everything i've heard about NW12 has been very positive, and a lot of hunters swear by the APRs that are in place there. The good things about NW12 is that there is actually quite a bit of public land still available depending on where you end up so you wouldn't be confined to your land, unless you are looking to micromanage a piece of land. You could easily acquire dozens and in some cases hundreds of acres butting up to national forest land. Just keep in mind most of the national forest land is rolling big woods. Tough to find and pattern deer on.

My thoughts on buying land in the UP are this... you don't buy it with only the intention of deer hunting, since the deer hunting can range from poor to middling to excellent across the UP. I think you need to figure other species and outdoor recreation into the equation if you want land in the UP: Bear, upland bird, small game, fur trapping, etc, along with trail riding, snowmobiling, skiing (depending on where you end up). Another big factor is drive time. Depending on where you go in UP it could be a half day or a full days worth of driving. It may seem inconsequential, but those miles and hours add up.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:58 am

d_rek wrote:
oldrank wrote:What are your guys thoughts on pounded southern Michigan public vs UP private/public.

I posted a few months ago about buying some land up there. I've talked to a few guys at work n some buddies and I seem to get the same general consensus. There are not alot of deer up there.

My thoughts are this. I have hunted public land down here for over 20 years. It isn't all peaches n cream as we all know. Even though surrounding farm land may have good deer numbers the public is generally "shot up".

I am lucky to see one deer a hunt. Sometimes I can go days or weeks seeing nothing.

Do you guys in the same boat feel a decent size piece of private land butting up to national forest would be better ?

Thx
Shad

If you target NW12, though I think you will find land prices in those counties has inched upwards due to perceived quality hunting. Still deals to be had if you are patient. Anecdotally everything i've heard about NW12 has been very positive, and a lot of hunters swear by the APRs that are in place there. The good things about NW12 is that there is actually quite a bit of public land still available depending on where you end up so you wouldn't be confined to your land, unless you are looking to micromanage a piece of land. You could easily acquire dozens and in some cases hundreds of acres butting up to national forest land. Just keep in mind most of the national forest land is rolling big woods. Tough to find and pattern deer on.

My thoughts on buying land in the UP are this... you don't buy it with only the intention of deer hunting, since the deer hunting can range from poor to middling to excellent across the UP. I think you need to figure other species and outdoor recreation into the equation if you want land in the UP: Bear, upland bird, small game, fur trapping, etc, along with trail riding, snowmobiling, skiing (depending on where you end up). Another big factor is drive time. Depending on where you go in UP it could be a half day or a full days worth of driving. It may seem inconsequential, but those miles and hours add up.

Great advice d_rek. All of that has been going through my mind. Been discussing with my wife all day. We are going to take a trip up there soon. I'm about 3.5 hrs from the bridge currently. If I was to buy in the UP I wouldn't want to go to far. Currently looking at Chippewa and Mackinac counties.

Below the bridge I'm interested in Manistee, Presque Isle, Emmet n Cheboygan... I like Kalkaska too but it might not be what my wife wants.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 am

Based on your revised requirements, I'd look into the NW near Traverse City. It's probably the best all around compromise.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:33 am

I hunt in lake , and manistee counties . I love it up there !. So much land and freedom and I see plenty of deer every year. Not to mention the landscapes are just beautiful . But like previously posted , there is quite a bit of rolling hills . Could be bad for you’re arthritis . I’d stick with the swamps. There’s plenty of those also :). You’re more than welcome to come up to the cabin and look around or even hunt. 8-)
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:21 am

First Sit wrote:I live and hunt public in Northern IN and hunt public in a lot of other states. I see a lot more hunters in Indiana and dont think my odds of killing a good buck on public in the Northern half of the state is better. If anything it might be worse. Michigan guys think they have it really bad for some reason out of wis, mi, IL, and IN on public Michigan and Wis are the lowest bowhunter density by a wide margin in my experience. IN has just as long of gun seasons as MI and your closer to higher populations several million people live under 1 hr drive from most of the public in IN and theres not nearly as much public in IN.

You need to hunt in areas that will support animals reaching a few years of age if that's what you want. That comes on many shapes and sizes. That could be an area of high hunting pressure with good buck bedding.

The quality of bucks in general will be better in southern Michigan just due to more mild winters and ag. Plus the genetics seems to be similar to Northern
Indiana.

Kind of how I see it too. Just driving around during bow and late season there might be a vehicle parked at the public accesses. Yes gun season is straight pumpkin patch-hunter in every tree type stuff. But just based on google earth there are definitely some public land areas that hold deer. It’s funny when I talk to people about starting to hunt public. “Oh be careful” and “you’re flat out crazy” are about guaranteed to be heard. All the negative association to MI public land is based on firearms season IMHO.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:15 am

Thx
Shad

I've been living and hunting in the Central Upper Peninsula for 30 years. I own 40 acres in Menomlnee county which I typically hunt only 1 or 2 times per season. State land is not typically heavily pressured during bow season. Especially the thick transitions close to bedding. Shooting a " big deer", well that depends on what you mean. Mature deer are definitely around. After a hard winter, a 4 1/2 year old might only sport a 100" rack. The same deer could typically run in the 130-140 range. . Last year, after 3 consecutive mild winters, Menominee county had at least 2 bucks that I heard about that went over 160". That's the best I've ever heard of up here. I have seen some racks from the 1960s that we're absolutely huge, so the genetics here are good, it's mostly weather, populations and nutrition that limit antler growth. Density can fluctuate wildly depending on what area you are in and the severity of the previous winter. The UP, like the rest of Michigan,has alot of baiting going on. All of these factors put a premium on in season scouting. Most guys that hunt the same 40 year after year complain about this or that causing lack of sitings, but the reality is really just a lack of being mobile and hunting the hot sign. If I was looking to buy a camp here, I'd be looking for a cabin near large public on the southern half of the peninsula. Any heavy snow in late October/ early November will start the deer in the northern snow belt areas migrating. Also, most northern snow belt areas may only have 8-10 deer per square mile. I know I've been rambling a bit. But, there is good and bad to all of this. My take on the UP is this, we may not have the biggest racks or highest populations however, the amount of public land available and relatively low bow hunting pressure makes this, I believe, some of the best bow hunting in the mid west. Personally, I have little desire to travel out of the UP with so much public to discover right out my back door. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Wetfoot wrote:

Thx
Shad

I've been living and hunting in the Central Upper Peninsula for 30 years. I own 40 acres in Menomlnee county which I typically hunt only 1 or 2 times per season. State land is not typically heavily pressured during bow season. Especially the thick transitions close to bedding. Shooting a " big deer", well that depends on what you mean. Mature deer are definitely around. After a hard winter, a 4 1/2 year old might only sport a 100" rack. The same deer could typically run in the 130-140 range. . Last year, after 3 consecutive mild winters, Menominee county had at least 2 bucks that I heard about that went over 160". That's the best I've ever heard of up here. I have seen some racks from the 1960s that we're absolutely huge, so the genetics here are good, it's mostly weather, populations and nutrition that limit antler growth. Density can fluctuate wildly depending on what area you are in and the severity of the previous winter. The UP, like the rest of Michigan,has alot of baiting going on. All of these factors put a premium on in season scouting. Most guys that hunt the same 40 year after year complain about this or that causing lack of sitings, but the reality is really just a lack of being mobile and hunting the hot sign. If I was looking to buy a camp here, I'd be looking for a cabin near large public on the southern half of the peninsula. Any heavy snow in late October/ early November will start the deer in the northern snow belt areas migrating. Also, most northern snow belt areas may only have 8-10 deer per square mile. I know I've been rambling a bit. But, there is good and bad to all of this. My take on the UP is this, we may not have the biggest racks or highest populations however, the amount of public land available and relatively low bow hunting pressure makes this, I believe, some of the best bow hunting in the mid west. Personally, I have little desire to travel out of the UP with so much public to discover right out my back door. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you. That was the info I was looking for.
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 am

I live in Cheboygan county just a few miles from emmet. I don’t hunt emmet. There are so many small parcels with lots of pressure it’s just not worth it. Cheboygan has more deer and there is tons of public land. With a little work you can find a mature buck in Cheboygan county. I grew up in Presque Isle and it is far better than Cheboygan and Emmet. If you want to find a good buck in Presque isle just drive around before dark. There are just a ton of deer in that area.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am

the g1 wrote:I live in Cheboygan county just a few miles from emmet. I don’t hunt emmet. There are so many small parcels with lots of pressure it’s just not worth it. Cheboygan has more deer and there is tons of public land. With a little work you can find a mature buck in Cheboygan county. I grew up in Presque Isle and it is far better than Cheboygan and Emmet. If you want to find a good buck in Presque isle just drive around before dark. There are just a ton of deer in that area.

Thank you.
Northbound

Unread postby Northbound » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:48 am

I love the yoop simply since I'll never run out of public land. I own land in 4 different counties of the u.p. but honestly I never hunt any of it. Plant trees and plots to watch them from cabin windows but they're safe from harvest for now, that will change as I age thou.

Id say buy what property has the other perks than hunting. No matter where you are in the u.p, there is always public land close by.

If your looking for book bucks, then don't waste your time. Need to adjust your expectations compared to areas with easier winters
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Okay here is my perspective,,,, I have a home in western Iron County,,,, the UP is not equal,,,,, there are some great bucks shot in Octanogan County and Houghton etc, but its a lot of work,,,,,, I love the UP, and keep this house, because I love to hunt grouse and catch big brook trout,,,, With that said, the UP can be great,,,,, if your looking for record bucks, its tough, more than tough, but if your looking for big deer, than your at the right place.... last year I shot a 7 pointer that you would not look twice at in SW Wis, but it weight 232..... You know what else,,,, it was shot in a paradise of isolation

I have a deer camp in SW Wis Bluff Country, I mean this is prime deer area,,, but I love the UP,,,, I can get lost, build a fire when I want, do not care about anything or anyone.,,,,, The UP is a state of mind...... I surf Lake Superior, I fish all over, and love to chase coasters,,,, this is another world,,,, I would never live in the lower, and wish the bridge did not exist

As for deer it is what it is,,, but I just love it,,, hard to explain,,,,,, is this where I am, during the rut,,,, mostly no, I am elsewhere, but I love the UP, and land is cheap, and camps are cheap, and I love remoteness,,,, My camp is off the grid, and I would not trade it for the world

The UP is the " center of the Universe"
Weezy

Unread postby Weezy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:04 am

I use to live in Iron County and hunt Iron, Gogibec,Houghton and Baraga counties. There is so much land to hunt it boggles the mind, you can defiantly be alone there. Huge bucks are taken in every county in the Yoop , but if I was looking for the best land to buy I would look at the Banana belt . Way less winter kill, lack of wolves are a huge plus. I now live in the NW Part of the lower, it can and does get crowded around here for sure.
If you are thinking because we have aprs we will have big deer behind every tree, well that simply isn't the case. Alot of pressure keeps that in check. If I was looking to buy land around this part of the state I would either choose Mason County ( lots of ag land ) or Northern Manistee County ( ag land again ) both counties have a bunch of private land also, with some Fed land thrown in the mix.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:51 am

Don't overlook urban land in the UP or NLP. My buddy has 10 and 14 acres in a suburb in the NLP and the bucks there get old and nice size.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”