Beast help with creek set up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Jed33

Beast help with creek set up

Unread postby Jed33 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 am

Ok fellow beast hunters. This picture is of an area I have been hunting for a few seasons. The yellow lines are trails I have witnessed bucks traveling. The red dot is my current set up, and I want to hunt the blue dot. I have killed bucks in back to back seasons, but I had to call the bucks to my position for a shot. Every sing buck crossed the creek near the blue dot, with the exception of the two I shot (they died on the way to the creek crossing). As you all are aware, not all bucks will respond to calls. If I position myself at the blue dot, I’ll be in bow range of any bucks crossing the creek at the pinch point between the steep bluffs. My concern is the wind current and thermals associated with hunting the blue dot. Looking for suggestions to play the wind in what could be a difficult set up.

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Beast help with creek set up

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 pm

If the creek has water in it and you can position yourself near it you might be able to hunt it on a fairly calm evening after the thermals start falling.
The thermals typically flow the same direction as the water.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 am

A calm morning at green dot might work.
Last edited by Bonehead on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 am

Bonehead wrote:A calm morning at blue dot might work.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:07 pm

I agree that a calm wind and using thermals would be best. If you can get a consistent east wind blowing straight up the creek/hollow that would work also.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:08 am

one of my best spot is actually in the creek...... I hunt a lot of drainage systems in the UP, and I found, to sit in the creek, usually I stuff a old wooden chair, in a blow down etc, or I make a place to be, along the shore. I use these spots, since the water and its sound, covers me well,,,,,, I also at times hunt on the small islands of the creeks, shooting as the deer cross.....

this may not work for you or your spot, but I never hesitate to use the advantage of water.....
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:36 am

tundra wrote:one of my best spot is actually in the creek...... I hunt a lot of drainage systems in the UP, and I found, to sit in the creek, usually I stuff a old wooden chair, in a blow down etc, or I make a place to be, along the shore. I use these spots, since the water and its sound, covers me well,,,,,, I also at times hunt on the small islands of the creeks, shooting as the deer cross.....

this may not work for you or your spot, but I never hesitate to use the advantage of water.....

Just out of curiosity, has that paid off for you in the past? I haven't done that in a creek yet, mainly because the one area I thought about doing it wasn't hot at that moment. I thought getting a good shot angle could be a challenge as well. Just curious what you've experienced. Thanks.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 am

I have killed close to a dozen deer just off and on the trout creeks..... the drainage systems are the maps of deer travels in my area,,,,,, in these big woods, a lot of area is void of deer, at various times. The feed from the vegetation, is a draw, but mostly I found, the creeks are the maps of deer travel,,,, best way to get on deer, and venture out, is from the water and low areas.

One of my best spots, is a trout stream, where I have a beaver pond crossing. I cherish this spot, because it is down in a valley a draw so to speak, with 2 high popple ridges, that lead to 3 year old clear cuts. My ambush spot is 20 yards down stream. I built a ground blind, using the shore line etc, but actually sit in the water. My shots are actually shooting up at the crossing, deer would have to look down river to catch me.......

since I am now picky what I shoot, if I was to take a new hunter, I would put them there, lots of young bucks cross there. I also have some ladder stands, just out of the crossings on some rivers, one of my best is on the Brule, its a killer rifle spot and has served me well. I have tags for both states, so it is a win win,,,,,

I also have floated a small area, with good water flow. I found this crossing, while trout fishing. However not a good place to set up, no trees, and water is too deep, even at the shoreline area its all marsh and a mess. I simply stay in my 10 foot canoe, with netting, and clamp off in the brush,

water is just another option, and if I was new to hunting big woods, I would follow the creeks, to get you started to better areas to hunt.....

I am a water hunter, but at times like to stay light. I own packable waders, that weigh 10oz, and stay in my pack or canoe. they are not mean't for wading but for crossing really, putting them actually over you hunting clothes including your boots.....

I have to be careful now to be so remote, with my heart being repaired 2 years ago, but the quietness of such places are special,,,,,, I have also seen some great bears, and now have a camera with me at all times
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 am

tundra wrote:I have killed close to a dozen deer just off and on the trout creeks..... the drainage systems are the maps of deer travels in my area,,,,,, in these big woods, a lot of area is void of deer, at various times. The feed from the vegetation, is a draw, but mostly I found, the creeks are the maps of deer travel,,,, best way to get on deer, and venture out, is from the water and low areas.

One of my best spots, is a trout stream, where I have a beaver pond crossing. I cherish this spot, because it is down in a valley a draw so to speak, with 2 high popple ridges, that lead to 3 year old clear cuts. My ambush spot is 20 yards down stream. I built a ground blind, using the shore line etc, but actually sit in the water. My shots are actually shooting up at the crossing, deer would have to look down river to catch me.......

since I am now picky what I shoot, if I was to take a new hunter, I would put them there, lots of young bucks cross there. I also have some ladder stands, just out of the crossings on some rivers, one of my best is on the Brule, its a killer rifle spot and has served me well. I have tags for both states, so it is a win win,,,,,

I also have floated a small area, with good water flow. I found this crossing, while trout fishing. However not a good place to set up, no trees, and water is too deep, even at the shoreline area its all marsh and a mess. I simply stay in my 10 foot canoe, with netting, and clamp off in the brush,

water is just another option, and if I was new to hunting big woods, I would follow the creeks, to get you started to better areas to hunt.....

I am a water hunter, but at times like to stay light. I own packable waders, that weigh 10oz, and stay in my pack or canoe. they are not mean't for wading but for crossing really, putting them actually over you hunting clothes including your boots.....

I have to be careful now to be so remote, with my heart being repaired 2 years ago, but the quietness of such places are special,,,,,, I have also seen some great bears, and now have a camera with me at all times

That is awesome info Tundra. Really appreciate you taking the time to post it. I don't know if I'll get up to the big woods much, but it's really valuable in case I do. Might actually be able to on opening day, so might take a crack at scouting in the area in advance.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm

If the location of a creek crossing is in a squirley wind situation consider the approach route. As well as if your banking on dropping thermal u wanna be on down current side of the crossing. The air is pulled in water flow. Most my crossings set up perfect for me cause there all close to bends which allows me to cut the wind. I prefer a steady wind and hunt it after leaf drop.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:39 pm

What is the predominant wind???

What is the thermal effect there???

Kill the deer where they want to be killed.

How far are the 2 dots? Sounds like it's within view and in my woods, that would mean it's pretty close by.

What worries you about the new stand vs the old stand? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the old stand is working and the new stand, to me, sounds like it's just outside of bow range, what makes you nervous about it NOT working???

There's nothing better than a situation like that...just figure out how to capitalize on it.

Have you noticed any correlation to the water level?

I ask because one rifle season I thought I had a good spot...I wasn't seeing much that opener but could hear deer in the bottom regularly. I climbed down to investigate and they had a trail just blasted through. Beat bad. I back tracked it a little ways and realized they were coming from the other side of a decent sized creek. Almost a parade of deer. Didn't take long and I hammered a nice buck.

Following seasons, it was never as productive. I couldn't understand why. Well....it clicked. The year it was good, the creek was VERY high. There is a big sandbar at that particular spot and it's the only good crossing for a long ways up and down either side. I've actually never timed it right again....but keep it in my mind for the next "rainy day".

Good luck!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”