Beds on muskrat huts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Beds on muskrat huts

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Bridge’s river/swamp thread reminded me of this. I’ve only seen it twice, but I’ve noticed deer bedding on muskrat houses. Think about it... before freeze up who is going to find you out in a slough with no other cover around? No dry land, no trees, no thickets, NOTHING that looks even remotely close to deer bedding.

He can stay dry while bedded, it’s plenty big enough to hold a deer, and it’s gotta be soft and comfortable.

Also it gives them an elevation advantage.

The last one I found was a few years back. I was following a trail off a peninsula that headed through the cattails strait to a river. Just before the river, there it is plain as day. Big muskrat house that was all flattened out on top. Verified with hair in the bed.

The other time was when I was probably 10-12. Dad and I were waiting on a slew edge on youth duck opener. (Early/mid September). Shooting started at noon so we finally headed in. Next thing you know a deer goes crashing off through the water and thick cattails :shock:

It laid there till we were almost in sight. Keep in mind, deer season isn’t even open yet. Duck and pheasant were both closed too. So this unpressured buck in a low hunter pressure area is laying 30-40 yards from dry land, out in 2’ of water on a muskrat hut :whistle:

INSANE

Anyone else come across any?

Dewey

Re: Beds on muskrat huts

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 am

I see them all the time.
JAK
500 Club

Re: Beds on muskrat huts

Unread postby JAK » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Ive seen it quite a bit doing deer drives. And there almost always in spots way off the main land

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”