Breaking all the Rules

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
backstraps

Re: Breaking all the Rules

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 am

Boogie.... a chicken suit on film slamming a slob buck will go viral. I would be loving it :lol: :lol:

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:01 am

elk yinzer wrote:I think you can absolutely hunt the pizz out of a stand and catch a good rut cruising buck that is visiting the neighborhood red light district. Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but if you are doing it to prove a point I think you can certainly kill one. I don't think this is an entirely ridiculous hunting strategy but it's all about location, location, location, a lot of stand time, and a little luck.

As far as the camo part, I don't think you're proving anything revolutionary. I've had deer stare holes through me within 5 yards while I'm wearing solids and fluo orange. Dozens, maybe hundreds of times. Shot a handful of deer close range not wearing any camo. Their vision is just bizarrely terrible as long as you stay still. Their vision is so different from ours we can't even comprehend it. Yet I still own a lot of camo stuff. It's just what we wear, right?

What else? Might as well use an out of tune speedbow, featherweight arrows, and a big honking expandable while you're at it...oh wait, that's every kill on the outdoor channel. Gotta get that moneyshot of the lumenock after penetrating all of 6" into the ribcage. Geez I go deeper......nevermind....all about shot placement, right?

Treestand height? Might as well be 10 feet high to prove you don't need to hunt from the stratosphere. Maybe one of those loud clanky climbers I've killed a few dozen deer out from?

Not really trying to prove anything to anybody. I too wear Camo a lot of the time mainly cause it's all I get for gifts. Just feel a full season of day in day out no Camo would give me a good idea if it does anything for me at all.

As for the one stand... Have a few reasons for it. One being its a lot less work and allows me more time for other activities. Another reason is I've always heard it is low odds, rookie mistake, etc... I've never set a stand more than a week straight. I just am curious how things will go after about day 25 lol. Not looking at it really as to handicap myself, personally think it's a high odds strategy if u got the necessary pieces in place.

I get the bug to try stupid stuff annually it seems. Two summers ago it was catch a 40# plus catfish on one of those kids snoopy rods. Took me most of the summer and I probably broke 15 of those rods. But I did it, not for a bet or to show anyone else, just to prove to myself I could do it. Only person who ever knew what I was up to was my wife and she called me an idiot.

Another time I wanted to hunt and fish at the same time so I put a ground blind right on the edge of the water in a oxbow. I had deer infront of me and acouple catfish rolling around by my feet. Was a fun ordeal for me.

I've hunted alone my entire life, seems I always try to find away to make it fun and get a smile in while I'm out there. Just how I keep myself going hard and enjoying myself I guess. That's all
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:02 am

So, for clarification purposes... This is the only stand you're going to hunt all season? Are you going to spend parts of your season hunting your typical style on other properties?
My first five years of hunting were pretty much from one stand on one property. And I hunted mostly everyday. In 5 years I got one shot at a decent looking buck (whiffed) , and seen some young ones. Of course, I knew nothing of what I was doing. The rookie years. :oops:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:So, for clarification purposes... This is the only stand you're going to hunt all season? Are you going to spend parts of your season hunting your typical style on other properties?
My first five years of hunting were pretty much from one stand on one property. And I hunted mostly everyday. In 5 years I got one shot at a decent looking buck (whiffed) , and seen some young ones. Of course, I knew nothing of what I was doing. The rookie years. :oops:

Alrighty,I be hunting one "spot" with 2 stands directly across from each other around 30 yards. I will place a mock scrape smack dab in the middle where all trails converge. I will log jam the surrounding funnel to encourage them to fall in my lap. Will be Using 2 stands so I can hunt a variety of diff winds, if it changes or thermals pull me I will scoodley doo over to the other. I will place my stands somewhere multiple ridges meet or multiple edges meet a ridge. It will have a super easy entrance/exit that does not alert deer. Lastly and most importantly I will have this spot ready to go come spring green up, then I will stay the heck away from it until early rut coupled with a cold front comes in. Then I will let it ride. I won't be checking cams or going in there to snoop around. I stay away until it's ripe for the Pickens. Atleast that's how the plan looks in my head lol
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:05 am

backstraps wrote:Boogie.... a chicken suit on film slamming a slob buck will go viral. I would be loving it :lol: :lol:

Boogie. If you can kill a buck while wearing this you will be my hero forever. :lol:

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:48 am

Dewey wrote:
backstraps wrote:Boogie.... a chicken suit on film slamming a slob buck will go viral. I would be loving it :lol: :lol:

Boogie. If you can kill a buck while wearing this you will be my hero forever. :lol:

:lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 am

Dewey wrote:

It ain't that one but close, has the face cut out so I can shoot a bow. Let's not jump the gun here with all this buck talk lol. There was no mention of buck on my part, I was thinking early season doe on some exclusive private! Don't want a large crowd seeing me walk to stand in the costume. Plus The Chicken suit does not offer much insulation, liable to freeze my giblets off as the season progresses.

I tell ya what would be a good one! Show up at a high pressured wma opening morning, jump out of truck in chicken suit bow in hand, stand on back saying howdy where u guys headed. :lol:
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

It ain't that one but close, has the face cut out so I can shoot a bow. Let's not jump the gun here with all this buck talk lol. There was no mention of buck on my part, I was thinking early season doe on some exclusive private! Don't want a large crowd seeing me walk to stand in the costume. Plus The Chicken suit does not offer much insulation, liable to freeze my giblets off as the season progresses.

I tell ya what would be a good one! Show up at a high pressured wma opening morning, jump out of truck in chicken suit bow in hand, stand on back saying howdy where u guys headed. :lol:

Bet you would have that property all to yourself that day. :lol:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:22 am

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I am crying laughing at the thought of you arriving at a wma on opening rut weekend ahead of everyone else and waiting outside your truck until daylight to stalk your way to your set

I bet you will have plenty of videos posted of you regardless if you knew it or not :lol:
Sounds like the stuff id drive and meet up with you and be your cameraman!!

Heck id even dress as an egg!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:28 am

backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I am crying laughing at the thought of you arriving at a wma on opening rut weekend ahead of everyone else and waiting outside your truck until daylight to stalk your way to your set

I bet you will have plenty of videos posted of you regardless if you knew it or not :lol:

Do the chicken walk all the way to your set up. :laughing-rolling:

https://youtu.be/Zkhov9pLYBM
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 am

Strut and cluck along the way :lol: :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:43 am

backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Wait until u see the stand! Gonna deck it out with twigs to look like im in a big nest. Death from above... I say I say I say son.... I'm no chicken I'm a rooster. Lol
-John Wayne-
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Wait until u see the stand! Gonna deck it out with twigs to look like im in a big nest. Death from above... I say I say I say son.... I'm no chicken I'm a rooster. Lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man I cannot wait til season...
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:09 pm

I want to be along for the ride on this one. I think it's doable and I'm already excited to see how it plays out.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm

Danced in a chicken suit at my sisters wedding. Shooting a big buck in one would be awesome :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”