Breaking all the Rules

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Breaking all the Rules

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:57 pm

Recently I have been contemplating doing something different this upcoming season for no other reason than personal pleasure. I've always wanted to take a buck with a selfbow, wood arrow and flint point. I've always wanted to shoot one with a old school muzzle loader and I've always wanted to attempt to shoot one while wearing a chicken suit. A list of other things that one of these days I will get around to.

But decided for this season I wanted to break all the rules of whitetail hunting. I'm gonna have one stand and just wear that sucker smooth out! I will not wear any form of camo and see if that hinders me getting close encounters in anyway. I will not use any sprays, calls, decoys, ozone machines, Carbon suits or any other witchcraft.

What I will do:

When I say one stand it will actually be 2 directly across from each other to allow for multiple winds. I will plan a smart entry/exit more than likely utilizing water. I will choke down the ridges on both sides and force an approaching deer into my kill zone. I won't hunt a Cush piece of private rather a public piece that is available to anyone who seeks it out. I also will not hunt it b4 Thanksgiving, from there I will sit it repeatedly daylight until dark and let it ride.

I wanna know for myself if all that is required is time in the tree and the skill to know what a good spot looks like. In the past I have hunted stands repeatedly with success. Was it a fluke? Pure luck? Low odds? Once in a blue moon? I wanna find out.

Will be honest about my findings and sightings, if I don't see squat well atleast I got my answer. I do have a spot in mind but I'm gonna check a few more spots out b4 I make my final decision. Will update from time to time with what's going on.

Think it will be fun none the less.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JAK
500 Club

Re: Breaking all the Rules

Unread postby JAK » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 pm

This sounds like it should be fun. Excited to hear what u come up with 8-)
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Wait....are you serious about the chicken suit?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Boogie if you kill one in the chicken suit, you BETTER take a hero pic while wearing it or I’ll be mad at you forever.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:20 pm

Sound like a cool exercise except I don’t think it would be much fun to only sit 2 stands. I like the idea of testing all the “rules” of hunting. One thing about the beast I have totally changed my thoughts on many things hunting. I fully believe that the scent control marketing has stunted many a hunters learning curve, I know it did my own.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Lockdown wrote:Boogie if you kill one in the chicken suit, you BETTER take a hero pic while wearing it or I’ll be mad at you forever.

The chicken suit is gonna happen! Even gonna get a camera man for this one so I can YouTube it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Chicken suit or nothing. Get it done. :animals-chickencatch:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Boogie if you kill one in the chicken suit, you BETTER take a hero pic while wearing it or I’ll be mad at you forever.

The chicken suit is gonna happen! Even gonna get a camera man for this one so I can YouTube it.

:lol: :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Lol, I almost put a buddy up to wearing a bigfoot suit and scare some folks to lighten up the pressure but backed out cause I was afraid he would get shot. Around here a giant chicken would be a true good ole boy trophy.
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:15 pm

2017 season my brother and I hunted my 17 acres in Ohio. I have one good stand site on my property and another that is decent. We took turns hunting my property and my neighbors 100 acres. For nearly 30 days straight the same tree was hunted every day. We lost count of how many bucks we saw. It was in the neighborhood of 30 though. 10 days in I shot a 150” buck and lost him. The next day my brother had a close encounter with a 140-150 but he didn’t stop for a shot. My property is a rut corridor. Before and after rut you won’t see a deer at all. If I pick the right week for seeking it’s a parade past my tree. I’ve taken 5 bucks and lost another from t basically the same spot (every couple years I have to move about 20 yards because they figure me out). I don’t wear camo or use any scent control or attractants. It can be done if you are in the right spot. I think the biggest thing that has helped me is stand height and the way the thermals work. My stand is 25-30 feet high. The only time I get busted is when a deer is within 10-15 yards and usually in the evening when the thermals drop.
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:21 pm

That’s the buck I shot and lost. My neighbor killed it a few weeks later.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:41 pm

That, JW, was a great deer. I guess the property you talked about is a classic example of hunt the right place at the right time.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:35 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Recently I have been contemplating doing something different this upcoming season for no other reason than personal pleasure. I've always wanted to take a buck with a selfbow, wood arrow and flint point. I've always wanted to shoot one with a old school muzzle loader and I've always wanted to attempt to shoot one while wearing a chicken suit. A list of other things that one of these days I will get around to.

But decided for this season I wanted to break all the rules of whitetail hunting. I'm gonna have one stand and just wear that sucker smooth out! I will not wear any form of camo and see if that hinders me getting close encounters in anyway. I will not use any sprays, calls, decoys, ozone machines, Carbon suits or any other witchcraft.

What I will do:

When I say one stand it will actually be 2 directly across from each other to allow for multiple winds. I will plan a smart entry/exit more than likely utilizing water. I will choke down the ridges on both sides and force an approaching deer into my kill zone. I won't hunt a Cush piece of private rather a public piece that is available to anyone who seeks it out. I also will not hunt it b4 Thanksgiving, from there I will sit it repeatedly daylight until dark and let it ride.

I wanna know for myself if all that is required is time in the tree and the skill to know what a good spot looks like. In the past I have hunted stands repeatedly with success. Was it a fluke? Pure luck? Low odds? Once in a blue moon? I wanna find out.

Will be honest about my findings and sightings, if I don't see squat well atleast I got my answer. I do have a spot in mind but I'm gonna check a few more spots out b4 I make my final decision. Will update from time to time with what's going on.

Think it will be fun none the less.

Why not do it all at the same time? Self-bow + wood arrow + flint point + chicken suit = a heck of alot of youtube views when you get a kill :D
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 am

when I am in season scouting, I usually always am wearing a black hoodie.... I also wear my skull mask, when I see or approach cameras,,,, bet I scared the jebbers out of some, when they checked their photos, of who was in the area..................ha ha
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:59 am

I think you can absolutely hunt the pizz out of a stand and catch a good rut cruising buck that is visiting the neighborhood red light district. Doesn't sound like much fun to me, but if you are doing it to prove a point I think you can certainly kill one. I don't think this is an entirely ridiculous hunting strategy but it's all about location, location, location, a lot of stand time, and a little luck.

As far as the camo part, I don't think you're proving anything revolutionary. I've had deer stare holes through me within 5 yards while I'm wearing solids and fluo orange. Dozens, maybe hundreds of times. Shot a handful of deer close range not wearing any camo. Their vision is just bizarrely terrible as long as you stay still. Their vision is so different from ours we can't even comprehend it. Yet I still own a lot of camo stuff. It's just what we wear, right?

What else? Might as well use an out of tune speedbow, featherweight arrows, and a big honking expandable while you're at it...oh wait, that's every kill on the outdoor channel. Gotta get that moneyshot of the lumenock after penetrating all of 6" into the ribcage. Geez I go deeper......nevermind....all about shot placement, right?

Treestand height? Might as well be 10 feet high to prove you don't need to hunt from the stratosphere. Maybe one of those loud clanky climbers I've killed a few dozen deer out from?
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”