What’s so hard to understand?!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
BBH1980
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:21 am

Lockdown wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:For me. It took longest to understand when its time to move on to another spot. Still of sitting and waiting needed to be looking and planning for next hunt. Instead of sitting for days on end.



This. For certain bedding areas and also properties in general.

You’re hunting an area where you’ve never found a shooter buck? Don’t stick with that property forever unless you know he’s right under your nose and you just haven’t found that last puzzle piece yet.

Ive had to move on from properties multiple times. I’m not sure why it used to bother me to give up on one. What was I worried about? The same exact result at a different property? ;)

To me there’s very little to lose and lots to gain. Keep scouting until you’ve got a bunch of properties and sets that you’re EXCITED to hunt.

And there’s certainly nothing wrong with giving a spot a break for a few years then coming back to reassess.


I think I could be going wrong here also. If I don't find what I'm looking for I discect the property to death instead of just moving on


User avatar
Lockdown
Moderator
Posts: 5989
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: MN
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:31 am

BBH1980 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:For me. It took longest to understand when its time to move on to another spot. Still of sitting and waiting needed to be looking and planning for next hunt. Instead of sitting for days on end.



This. For certain bedding areas and also properties in general.

You’re hunting an area where you’ve never found a shooter buck? Don’t stick with that property forever unless you know he’s right under your nose and you just haven’t found that last puzzle piece yet.

Ive had to move on from properties multiple times. I’m not sure why it used to bother me to give up on one. What was I worried about? The same exact result at a different property? ;)

To me there’s very little to lose and lots to gain. Keep scouting until you’ve got a bunch of properties and sets that you’re EXCITED to hunt.

And there’s certainly nothing wrong with giving a spot a break for a few years then coming back to reassess.


I think I could be going wrong here also. If I don't find what I'm looking for I discect the property to death instead of just moving on


I did the same early on. That’s the best way to learn. Once you get an eye for bedding you can hit the best couple spots at a property and have a very good idea if it’s worth your time or not.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 2648
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:48 am

Good stuff LD.

I hit that in one scouting one property I hunted last year. Maybe I missed something, but I saw doe sign and unimpressive buck sign. Pulled the plug on it.

About to do the same on a neighboring property, but there are a few other places to check. One in particular could be great, but I gotta see proof that something worthwhile is there.

I'll find out Saturday, then move on to figure out a large property puzzle where I know slobs have been taken before.

I have to better at recognizing when to pull the plug.
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself." - Groucho Marx
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 2648
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:03 am

Double post.
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself." - Groucho Marx
User avatar
BBH1980
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby BBH1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:43 am

Lockdown wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:For me. It took longest to understand when its time to move on to another spot. Still of sitting and waiting needed to be looking and planning for next hunt. Instead of sitting for days on end.



This. For certain bedding areas and also properties in general.

You’re hunting an area where you’ve never found a shooter buck? Don’t stick with that property forever unless you know he’s right under your nose and you just haven’t found that last puzzle piece yet.

Ive had to move on from properties multiple times. I’m not sure why it used to bother me to give up on one. What was I worried about? The same exact result at a different property? ;)

To me there’s very little to lose and lots to gain. Keep scouting until you’ve got a bunch of properties and sets that you’re EXCITED to hunt.

And there’s certainly nothing wrong with giving a spot a break for a few years then coming back to reassess.


I think I could be going wrong here also. If I don't find what I'm looking for I discect the property to death instead of just moving on


I did the same early on. That’s the best way to learn. Once you get an eye for bedding you can hit the best couple spots at a property and have a very good idea if it’s worth your time or not.


Thanks that makes me feel a little better lol. At least like less of an idiot :lol:
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2226
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby tim » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:21 am

DO NOT make tag soup until the season is over.......
User avatar
magicman54494
500 Club
Posts: 4130
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: central and northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:16 am

funderburk wrote:Veteran Beasts: What’s one simple thing us newbie beasts can’t seem to understand?

I didn't read through this whole thread but the one thing that seems most prevalent today is instant gratification. Everyone wants it NOW! It's great to be a go getter but it takes time to get good at anything. No offense but I see guys that watched Dan's videos or attended one class now giving advise and they haven't even tasted success yet. I've got 40+ years of experience hunting and I still don't have it all figured out yet....never will.
It's a journey not a destination. Truth is, you will never get there anyway. Enjoy the ride!
People who hunt this way understand this deep down. They understand that if they take shortcuts to success that success will not taste as sweet.
User avatar
DaveT1963
500 Club
Posts: 4223
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Location: South
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:13 am

I think Kenny Roger's was thinking about this very thing when he wrote "The Gambler?"
My You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/davetoms63
Journal: viewtopic.php?f=191&t=30244
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything" - President Dwight D. Eisenhower
User avatar
BBH1980
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 am

magicman54494 wrote:
funderburk wrote:Veteran Beasts: What’s one simple thing us newbie beasts can’t seem to understand?

I didn't read through this whole thread but the one thing that seems most prevalent today is instant gratification. Everyone wants it NOW! It's great to be a go getter but it takes time to get good at anything. No offense but I see guys that watched Dan's videos or attended one class now giving advise and they haven't even tasted success yet. I've got 40+ years of experience hunting and I still don't have it all figured out yet....never will.
It's a journey not a destination. Truth is, you will never get there anyway. Enjoy the ride!
People who hunt this way understand this deep down. They understand that if they take shortcuts to success that success will not taste as sweet.


I agree with this to a point. No disrespect obviously. I think you are spot on with instant gratification. With hunting or anything you do in life you have to start at the bottom and through learning from others and personal experiences, you work your way up. It takes time and hard work. You cant watch enough podcasts or talk to enough people to make you good overnight. I think it is a journey that we should enjoy and not measure ourselves by the trophies on our wall but by how much we grow.

That leads me to my next point. When it comes to my career I have build a pretty good business for myself rising to the top of my company in sales for the last 8 years or so. I did that because I chose people who were already successful and followed their path, another huge part of that is I chose to learn from everyone and anyone I had the opportunity to speak with no matter how new they were to the business and I continue to do so. I think to myself "what can I learn from this person".. maybe its even a mistake they made being new.. maybe its an attitude.. good or bad.

Next point.. I have 27 years of hunting experience of bow hunting rolling hill farm country. I have tried to put pieces together over the years but couldn't quite figure things out totally. All it took was finding Dan (6 months ago) and watching that farm and hill video and talking to a few guys on here to really make it click... I can think back to several unintentional beast kills that I have on my wall from over the years.... Difference is now thinking back, I know exactly why those buck were where they were at that time, when before finding Dan I only had an idea. I have not hunted beast style intentionally yet but I have just about all my sets ready to go for next year on the private I hunt in areas I have watched big bucks walk from over the years with the terrain features he describes in the DVDs (there are a few properties I am struggling with that I asked about on this thread) the difference is now I know how and why the deer are doing what they are, and that stemmed from so many years of hunting these properties and Dans DVDs.

Now for my next venture... the videos also gave me the insight and confidence to start scouting public big hills and swamp in my area, great way to give my private land a break which I didnt in the past, also will help me grow as a hunter, I am very green to this type of terrain and am struggling but I am all ears when I hear experienced guys talk about them no matter how new they are to the beast forum. For all I know these guys may have 20 -30 years of hunting this type of terrain. I also know its going to take hunting it for a few years and making mistakes to get better.

Final thought... in anything you want to get good at you need a good foundation of the "basics" laid out for you to start from, follow, and always go back too when you get off course, start overthinking, or start making things harder than what they need to be. lol The info in the DVDs and this forum is the best foundation any of us could ask for as whitetail hunters.
User avatar
magicman54494
500 Club
Posts: 4130
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: central and northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:31 am

BBH1980 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
funderburk wrote:Veteran Beasts: What’s one simple thing us newbie beasts can’t seem to understand?

I didn't read through this whole thread but the one thing that seems most prevalent today is instant gratification. Everyone wants it NOW! It's great to be a go getter but it takes time to get good at anything. No offense but I see guys that watched Dan's videos or attended one class now giving advise and they haven't even tasted success yet. I've got 40+ years of experience hunting and I still don't have it all figured out yet....never will.
It's a journey not a destination. Truth is, you will never get there anyway. Enjoy the ride!
People who hunt this way understand this deep down. They understand that if they take shortcuts to success that success will not taste as sweet.


I agree with this to a point. No disrespect obviously. I think you are spot on with instant gratification. With hunting or anything you do in life you have to start at the bottom and through learning from others and personal experiences, you work your way up. It takes time and hard work. You cant watch enough podcasts or talk to enough people to make you good overnight. I think it is a journey that we should enjoy and not measure ourselves by the trophies on our wall but by how much we grow.

That leads me to my next point. When it comes to my career I have build a pretty good business for myself rising to the top of my company in sales for the last 8 years or so. I did that because I chose people who were already successful and followed their path, another huge part of that is I chose to learn from everyone and anyone I had the opportunity to speak with no matter how new they were to the business and I continue to do so. I think to myself "what can I learn from this person".. maybe its even a mistake they made being new.. maybe its an attitude.. good or bad.

Next point.. I have 27 years of hunting experience of bow hunting rolling hill farm country. I have tried to put pieces together over the years but couldn't quite figure things out totally. All it took was finding Dan (6 months ago) and watching that farm and hill video and talking to a few guys on here to really make it click... I can think back to several unintentional beast kills that I have on my wall from over the years.... Difference is now thinking back, I know exactly why those buck were where they were at that time, when before finding Dan I only had an idea. I have not hunted beast style intentionally yet but I have just about all my sets ready to go for next year on the private I hunt in areas I have watched big bucks walk from over the years with the terrain features he describes in the DVDs (there are a few properties I am struggling with that I asked about on this thread) the difference is now I know how and why the deer are doing what they are, and that stemmed from so many years of hunting these properties and Dans DVDs.

Now for my next venture... the videos also gave me the insight and confidence to start scouting public big hills and swamp in my area, great way to give my private land a break which I didnt in the past, also will help me grow as a hunter, I am very green to this type of terrain and am struggling but I am all ears when I hear experienced guys talk about them no matter how new they are to the beast forum. For all I know these guys may have 20 -30 years of hunting this type of terrain. I also know its going to take hunting it for a few years and making mistakes to get better.

Final thought... in anything you want to get good at you need a good foundation of the "basics" laid out for you to start from, follow, and always go back too when you get off course, start overthinking, or start making things harder than what they need to be. lol The info in the DVDs and this forum is the best foundation any of us could ask for as whitetail hunters.

I think you somewhat misunderstand my point. I agree that we all can learn from anyone. But... teach from a perspective of experience. It's like reading a book on how to ride a bike then try to teach it without actually riding one. I guess I'm pointing out there is a difference between understanding something and being able to apply it. Like right now I know I should be doing paperwork but I'm not able to apply that knowledge. Lol
User avatar
BBH1980
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:48 am

magicman54494 wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
funderburk wrote:Veteran Beasts: What’s one simple thing us newbie beasts can’t seem to understand?

I didn't read through this whole thread but the one thing that seems most prevalent today is instant gratification. Everyone wants it NOW! It's great to be a go getter but it takes time to get good at anything. No offense but I see guys that watched Dan's videos or attended one class now giving advise and they haven't even tasted success yet. I've got 40+ years of experience hunting and I still don't have it all figured out yet....never will.
It's a journey not a destination. Truth is, you will never get there anyway. Enjoy the ride!
People who hunt this way understand this deep down. They understand that if they take shortcuts to success that success will not taste as sweet.


I agree with this to a point. No disrespect obviously. I think you are spot on with instant gratification. With hunting or anything you do in life you have to start at the bottom and through learning from others and personal experiences, you work your way up. It takes time and hard work. You cant watch enough podcasts or talk to enough people to make you good overnight. I think it is a journey that we should enjoy and not measure ourselves by the trophies on our wall but by how much we grow.

That leads me to my next point. When it comes to my career I have build a pretty good business for myself rising to the top of my company in sales for the last 8 years or so. I did that because I chose people who were already successful and followed their path, another huge part of that is I chose to learn from everyone and anyone I had the opportunity to speak with no matter how new they were to the business and I continue to do so. I think to myself "what can I learn from this person".. maybe its even a mistake they made being new.. maybe its an attitude.. good or bad.

Next point.. I have 27 years of hunting experience of bow hunting rolling hill farm country. I have tried to put pieces together over the years but couldn't quite figure things out totally. All it took was finding Dan (6 months ago) and watching that farm and hill video and talking to a few guys on here to really make it click... I can think back to several unintentional beast kills that I have on my wall from over the years.... Difference is now thinking back, I know exactly why those buck were where they were at that time, when before finding Dan I only had an idea. I have not hunted beast style intentionally yet but I have just about all my sets ready to go for next year on the private I hunt in areas I have watched big bucks walk from over the years with the terrain features he describes in the DVDs (there are a few properties I am struggling with that I asked about on this thread) the difference is now I know how and why the deer are doing what they are, and that stemmed from so many years of hunting these properties and Dans DVDs.

Now for my next venture... the videos also gave me the insight and confidence to start scouting public big hills and swamp in my area, great way to give my private land a break which I didnt in the past, also will help me grow as a hunter, I am very green to this type of terrain and am struggling but I am all ears when I hear experienced guys talk about them no matter how new they are to the beast forum. For all I know these guys may have 20 -30 years of hunting this type of terrain. I also know its going to take hunting it for a few years and making mistakes to get better.

Final thought... in anything you want to get good at you need a good foundation of the "basics" laid out for you to start from, follow, and always go back too when you get off course, start overthinking, or start making things harder than what they need to be. lol The info in the DVDs and this forum is the best foundation any of us could ask for as whitetail hunters.

I think you somewhat misunderstand my point. I agree that we all can learn from anyone. But... teach from a perspective of experience. It's like reading a book on how to ride a bike then try to teach it without actually riding one. I guess I'm pointing out there is a difference between understanding something and being able to apply it. Like right now I know I should be doing paperwork but I'm not able to apply that knowledge. Lol


I can understand that for sure. Ive got the same thing going on at work attempting to close the month but somehow I keep going back to studying my maps... :lol:
User avatar
SidewayZ
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:56 pm
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32
Location: Central Massachusetts
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby SidewayZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:01 am

BBH1980 wrote:
SidewayZ wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
funderburk wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:I'm in swpa but I hunt the and quite a bit too. I've started to see bigger bucks just in the year that I've found thb but I'm really struggling to find beds. I'm still going to be behind this year as well, as I'll have little to no winter scouting. The terrain I'm in is rolling hills/ steep WV hills on the panhandle, with a little farm country sprinkled in. Things I have a few areas narrowed down, but can't find the actual beds, I have found doe bedding, as in 5/6 beds in a circle-ish pattern, I just don't know how to translate any of those into usable recon for a buck bed......


Northeast here. And yeah having same things. Plenty of doe beds but bucks are an issue for me.


Do either of you have any of Dan's DVDs? That's what flipped the switch for me.



I have all of them. Watched each one like 5 times lol. I think I am finding general areas and condensed beds. Or grouped beds. May be looking to hard but where I am the majority of older buck are 2.5 to 3.5. There doesn't seem to be a lot of truly mature buck. They are here for sure but no competition makes it even harder cause these bedding areas aren't rubbed up. Plus based in a few other people I've spoke with the younger buck aren't as consistent when it comes to bedding. They also may not have perfected their... In other words they may not be wind to back.


I am in the Northeast as well. Many of the beds I find are subtle.
Eventually you will have confidence that you found a buck bed without a lot of sign around because many northeast spots don't have a lot of competition for beds. We also have an insane amount of pressure and coyote pressure so bucks are moving a lot and not always using the same exact bed. Beds are not worn or easy to notice, but the beast tactics still hold true. On top of that we have a lot of rolling hills type terrain so wind is always shifting.

Look for specific terrain spots that are a little more fluffy for hills and for wooded or swap areas try to find a piece that has distinct edges, points and bowls and it should help you find beds easier.

If your finding doe beds. Bucks beds cant be all that fair off, should be something within 100yds of doe beds.



This helps and makes sense. I am definitely finding bedding where it should be, it is subtle for sure. But often times it's in groups and not worn in, on the wrong wind also, so I assumed it's doe bedding. There are rubs in the area also but again I was thinking marked up doe bedding. What I am looking for is that group of beds that you can tell are a wind shift 1 animal and worn in, so I may be looking for to much. Also I just found the beast 6 months ago and haven't hunted that way yet. I can tell you since then I have nearly 35 miles on my scouting boots. I have my areas marked and figured the only way to know is to observation sit it and/or hunt it. The coyotes make sense. I scouted a small marsh yesterday as well. Found a couple hairs no defined beds but I always find coyote tracks in that area. I found a swamp that I haven't scouted yet. Waiting for the snow to melt. Might be a dumb question but what do you mean by fluffy ?


Sorry I meant "Bluffy", look for hills or mountains with a more defined ridge or peak, not just a tall rolling hill.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
User avatar
BBH1980
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline

Re: What’s so hard to understand?!

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:34 am

SidewayZ wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
SidewayZ wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
funderburk wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:I'm in swpa but I hunt the and quite a bit too. I've started to see bigger bucks just in the year that I've found thb but I'm really struggling to find beds. I'm still going to be behind this year as well, as I'll have little to no winter scouting. The terrain I'm in is rolling hills/ steep WV hills on the panhandle, with a little farm country sprinkled in. Things I have a few areas narrowed down, but can't find the actual beds, I have found doe bedding, as in 5/6 beds in a circle-ish pattern, I just don't know how to translate any of those into usable recon for a buck bed......


Northeast here. And yeah having same things. Plenty of doe beds but bucks are an issue for me.


Do either of you have any of Dan's DVDs? That's what flipped the switch for me.



I have all of them. Watched each one like 5 times lol. I think I am finding general areas and condensed beds. Or grouped beds. May be looking to hard but where I am the majority of older buck are 2.5 to 3.5. There doesn't seem to be a lot of truly mature buck. They are here for sure but no competition makes it even harder cause these bedding areas aren't rubbed up. Plus based in a few other people I've spoke with the younger buck aren't as consistent when it comes to bedding. They also may not have perfected their... In other words they may not be wind to back.


I am in the Northeast as well. Many of the beds I find are subtle.
Eventually you will have confidence that you found a buck bed without a lot of sign around because many northeast spots don't have a lot of competition for beds. We also have an insane amount of pressure and coyote pressure so bucks are moving a lot and not always using the same exact bed. Beds are not worn or easy to notice, but the beast tactics still hold true. On top of that we have a lot of rolling hills type terrain so wind is always shifting.

Look for specific terrain spots that are a little more fluffy for hills and for wooded or swap areas try to find a piece that has distinct edges, points and bowls and it should help you find beds easier.

If your finding doe beds. Bucks beds cant be all that fair off, should be something within 100yds of doe beds.



This helps and makes sense. I am definitely finding bedding where it should be, it is subtle for sure. But often times it's in groups and not worn in, on the wrong wind also, so I assumed it's doe bedding. There are rubs in the area also but again I was thinking marked up doe bedding. What I am looking for is that group of beds that you can tell are a wind shift 1 animal and worn in, so I may be looking for to much. Also I just found the beast 6 months ago and haven't hunted that way yet. I can tell you since then I have nearly 35 miles on my scouting boots. I have my areas marked and figured the only way to know is to observation sit it and/or hunt it. The coyotes make sense. I scouted a small marsh yesterday as well. Found a couple hairs no defined beds but I always find coyote tracks in that area. I found a swamp that I haven't scouted yet. Waiting for the snow to melt. Might be a dumb question but what do you mean by fluffy ?


Sorry I meant "Bluffy", look for hills or mountains with a more defined ridge or peak, not just a tall rolling hill.


Ok that makes a little more sense.. sorry I'm a little slow. Should have figured it out lol

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dannyboy, Duke1981, Forkhorn, Grizzlyadam, headgear, Net Guy, NHODN, Shilohspur, stash59 and 2 guests