Introducing KIDS to Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Introducing KIDS to Hunting

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Took the daughter scouting last weekend.

I made a short video explaining the importance of introducing kids to hunting. Scouting, shed hunting were just some examples that I had used, rather than just throwing them a weapon during the actual hunt and telling them to shoot when told.

I believe that getting them involved in everything we do when it comes to hunting whitetail can not only benefit us as avid hunters, but also help them to be a part of the community as they grow older. Making it fun through the process is key, and what better way to spend time with your kids than with something we love to do? Check the video out below:

Watch it in 1080HD for best quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LY5dgth96A
Last edited by ScottSpitzley on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: Introducing KIDS to Hunting

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:41 pm

I wrote an article on this topic as well.

You can read it here:
https://www.whitetaildna.com/resources/ ... to-hunting
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:10 am

Scott that's some good stuff. You done a great job putting that together, and the importance of getting kids involved can't be stressed enough. I really like the conclusion of your article. SPOT on.

To me the time in the field with my daughter has always been about the time spent together and having fun. Anything we have taken together has been a bonus.

Good job man :clap:
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:19 am

backstraps wrote:Scott that's some good stuff. You done a great job putting that together, and the importance of getting kids involved can't be stressed enough. I really like the conclusion of your article. SPOT on.

To me the time in the field with my daughter has always been about the time spent together and having fun. Anything we have taken together has been a bonus.

Good job man :clap:

Agreed!

I appreciate your kind words man. Thanks!
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 am

I have four young children. The oldest just turned six. So far I have taken him with me on a squirrel hunt and one evening with a flintlock. That was an adventure. I sort of found it difficult to switch off the killer mentality and resign myself to the fact that we weren’t going to see anything that day. He was just way too loud and fidgety. He had fun though and that’s all that matters. He also got a BB gun for Christmas that we have shot several times. My plan is to bring them along slow and just let them be little kids. Don’t want to pressure them into anything. Most likely I am going to keep going the small game route until I feel they are old enough and mature enough to handle a weapon that can kill a deer . I also think small game such as squirrels is more fun for kids to start on. We do a lot of hiking in the woods and they just seem to have fun exploring. We don’t need to kill anything right now. With that being said hunting is talked about all the time in our home so it’s been a part of their lives since the day they were born.
Public Land Hunter
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:14 am

I wish I would have rediscovered hunting a long time ago. Probably would have gotten my son into it. He still might, but has other interests now. I’ll keep the door open for him and teach him what I know if he does develop an interest.

Going to take my 13 year old daughter with me to Dan’s scouting workshop tomorrow. She’s not into hunting at this point, but we’ll see what happens. Might change. It will be a good walk outside together if nothing else, plus she’ll get a good idea of the story I tell her after I get a good buck this year. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:34 am

Love it! Great job :clap:

The back ground music was really loud, it scared me :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:20 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Love it! Great job :clap:

The back ground music was really loud, it scared me :mrgreen:

Haha was it? I tried my best to keep the audio at a similar dB. Sorry about that!
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 am

My oldest is just about three and is showing some interest, I took her shed hunting a few weeks ago and she enjoyed it.
When I'd spot deer and then ask her if she could see them, sometimes she would see them or sometimes she would say "we probably need to go closer"
Since its winter the deer are crowded into the shelterbelts so there are beds everywhere, she would point them out saying "look at all the deer sleeping places".

dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 am

That’s a great idea! I started my oldest one out turkey hunting last year, maybe we can get and do some shed hunting before turkey season.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:11 am

I took both my kids out with me a couple times this year, the first time we just walked out to a public spot that is close to my house and just setup lawn chairs in the grass along a field edge, we did jump 2 does while walking in. I didn't even have my bow with since this was all about them and their experience, we painted out faces, ate snacks and when they started to get bored (they made it almost an hour) we just packed up and headed home.

The next time I got them out we sat in a ground blind on a piece of private ground, the ground blind sits on a 4' tall platform that they helped build, this was we can see over the top of the grass. I did bring my bow with just in case we saw something, but i knew it would take a miracle, since they were watching a movie hanging out the blind windows and eating chips and making a lot of noise, but that was ok by me I just wanted them to enjoy being out there. Well after 45mins of sitting I look over and there is a small 8 pointer standing 30 yards away completely downwind from us, and he starts making his way closer (he must have had a craving for Doritos and candy) the kids just sat there watching him while I was able to draw my bow and when he turned broadside, I let it go. I ended up hitting him high, the kids helped search for close to 2 hours, and covered just under a mile whit very little blood. I have to give my daughter credit she can see blood like no one else, and helped pick the trail up a couple of different times after I lost it. Even though we didn't find the deer, they were very excited to see a deer that close and that it was a buck.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:31 am

Thought I'd post a picture of my kiddos, when we were out bow hunting last year. Image
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 am

I'm tryin to get my 2yr old into sports...hes more intrested in his trains. I walk that fine line between push him while still keepn it fun. It's kind of frustrating lol
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:13 am

Great job! Keeping the kids busy and interested during the "slow times" will go a long way towards how they act come hunting time. :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”