Scouting Trip Using Beast Tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoyt31786

Scouting Trip Using Beast Tactics

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Today is Valentines day and i treated myself to a scouting trip while the wife got a spa day lol! Spent all day today scouting some familiar public ground today! Had a great day pulling cameras and finding some good stuff! Found 5 more permanent stands on my walk today, weird i thought Ohio law was you couldnt leave permanent stands on public grounds.... (see DD and EE in regs.) Oh and they all had screw in bowhangers , cut lanes as well...Wish people would abide by the laws...Well i guess atleast i know where they will be Hunting and accessing. The two best core buck bedding areas i found today are in the vicinity of this pressure. Mature bucks never cease to amaze me. One of the core areas is about 400 yards from the one permanent stand. But is on a bluff overlooking the guys main access. Prolly watching and smelling them walk right into these permanent spots and slipin out the other way according to the sign. Oh yea and the one permanent stand is prolly only 90 yards from the other so dunno if these guys even know they are hunting next to each other hahah [could be same guy dunno] Then the other core area is 267 yards from the stands. Based on the historical sign and fresh sign from this past fall these bucks been here for awhile . As long as those guys stay put im convinced they will never see these mature bucks in daylight just to far away. Hopefully the area stays this way i already planned both ambushes picked the trees and correct access today and wont be back till the time is right!! Ill never forget hearing Dan say some of the biggest stuff he finds is watching the access!!!!Thanks Dan for sharing your wealth of knowledge u have made me a better hunter! [img]https://i.postimg.cc/QxyyjpVV/20190214-154844.jpg/img]

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Scouting Trip Using Beast Tactics

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 am

Sounds like a great day in the woods! It's always surprising that some of the biggest bucks bed right under hunter's noses and school the hunters... they just don't know it.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:02 am

In a lot of cases other hunters dont affect my hunting. In cases like you describe they could. I would try to pattern the hunters and either use the hunters to push the deer or hunt when the hunters are not. The buck overlooking acess could respond in different ways in each scenerio (observed hunters and no hunters observed). Just one moe wrinkle to consider. As for following the rules, character is defined as what you do when no one is watching. I see illegal stands and bait all the time. I am confident the only advantage gained is by the ovservant mobile hunter that uses that knowledge to his/her advantage.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:27 am

Sounds like you had a fun day in the field! Good to find sources of pressure too. Maybe you can use their pressure to force one of the bucks sneaking out the back door, into taking a truck bed ride with ya :twisted:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”