Putting down “hunter sign” to keep others away

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Putting down “hunter sign” to keep others away

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 am

Dewey wrote:I don’t have time to mess with other people. My time is better focussed on myself and what I can do to improve my odds. Most times that involves getting as far away from other hunters as I can so I never have to deal with those issues.

My thoughts exactly... Not to mention I would not want to purposefully mess with another hunter "unless" he was messing with me... I genuinely hope other hunters do well and enjoy there hunt. My goal is not to chase them away.

tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:42 am

I passed and shot video of 3 average bucks this year,,,,, they were within 75 yards of the road, and as I sit there, I just watch an occasional milk truck etc,,,,,,,,, point is, hunt where the bucks are at the time,,,,, let the other guys do their thing...... You know what, like many, I have been screwed up by another hunter, I simply chalk it up, and leave, or wait it out, depends on the day........ its all part of hunting public...... we all have to share.....

I am not going out of my way, to screw someone else up, do not have the time to waste the energy,,,,,,,HOWEVER, non beast hunters can be a terrific help, let them blow areas out, and hunt the spots, that the bucks go around, to avoid them,,,,,,,,

Point is, I sat 5 feet off the ground, in a nice thicket, that led out from a public spot to private.... NO ONE would hunt that, but it amazed me the deer that would use it, when the after work crowd, would head in, to hunt their spots, sometimes you can find those type of spots.....

On public, you let some of the others "head way in", because that where most are going, while no one, hunts the fringe outside areas,,, I have had guys tell me, "that's a ridiculous spot" , they would ignore the obvious sign, because it was too close to a road
Hambone79

Unread postby Hambone79 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:45 am

I killed a nice buck on a WMA here in Florida literally within 50yrds of the main grade. found a well used trail that paralleled the grade. walked that some to where I found a lot of sign and hunted. killed the deer an hour after daylight. I sat there and watched truck drive up and down all morning. that wasn't a area anyone hunted or wanted to be at.
corndawg765

Unread postby corndawg765 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:24 am

My immediate thought was why would I go out of my way to leave more human sign and scent and pressure the area more? Typically I've already scouted the area, and know pretty much where I would like to setup. I'm going in for the kill when I go in, and not interested in laying down diversion sign.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:33 am

dan wrote:
Dewey wrote:I don’t have time to mess with other people. My time is better focussed on myself and what I can do to improve my odds. Most times that involves getting as far away from other hunters as I can so I never have to deal with those issues.

My thoughts exactly... Not to mention I would not want to purposefully mess with another hunter "unless" he was messing with me... I genuinely hope other hunters do well and enjoy there hunt. My goal is not to chase them away.

I mean, who would use a climbing stick to create a rub? Nobody I know... :whistle:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 am

greenhorndave wrote:
dan wrote:

I mean, who would use a climbing stick to create a rub? Nobody I know... :whistle:

one spot i hunt had 2 huge rubs on logging trail going in. i came back a week latter and somebody cut both trees down with a chain saw and hid them. guess ill just look for cut down trees in that area when i hunt it next time lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:48 am

I guess my philosophy when hunting on Public land can be summed up in three words:

Leave no trace.

(Yeah I know, scientifically impossible to accomplish to perfection, but a good general goal.)
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:03 pm

A new piece of public land opened up to hunting and I went and scouted it before anyone knew about it. I found some decent sign and a good place to hunt so I put up a few reflector tacks to find it for a morning hunt. When I got back to the parking spot I decided to put up a few more reflector tacks in various directions to make people think there was a lot of pressure there from weekend warrior yahoos there as to deter them. That was several years ago and I never got back there to hunt it. It's now either an untouched honey hole or there is a stand right in the best spot. A bit of a jerk move, looking back on it I wish I didn't do it. There's already too many jerks out there.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 pm

KRONIIK wrote:I guess my philosophy when hunting on Public land can be summed up in three words:

Leave no trace.

(Yeah I know, scientifically impossible to accomplish to perfection, but a good general goal.)

Agree. I go out of my way to step where I won’t leave any tracks when I walk. I love snow for tracking deer but it sure eliminates the leave no trace strategy. Good thing by then most guys gave up hunting anyway.
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:16 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
dan wrote:

He did that because a trail cam thief was in the area. Under those circumstances I can’t blame him.
Public Land Hunter
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm not criticizing. I thought it was hilarious! :lol: I laughed for about 2 minutes straight after watching that
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:27 pm

When I use reflective tacks,,,, I use the ones that clip on the branches, so I can simply take them out on my way out
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:09 pm

The only thing I have ever do is walk by trail cams so they can take a nice picture. That is only because I didn’t see them fast enough to avoid them.

Couple years back I was hunting public land with a friend of mine, and on our way out from a spot we accidentally walked right under a older guy, neither one of us saw him till we were 5 foot from him. We stepped into a clearing and he was there. Anyways I guess he moved his stand and we were hunting there the next week and he walked under my friend in the dark. He was so mad, later that morning we watched him load his ladder stand and all his gear in his truck and drive away. As far as I can tell he has not hunted that area again, but neither have we because the sign is not there anymore. So I said all that to say that human sign and running into people will deter some guys from hunting an area.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:16 pm

I never get mad,,, its public land,,,, I never will understand that,,,,, we are all brothers of the bow, in my opinion......Another view.... I hunted some public land that was not marked, but it was public,, and owned by the state of Wis... After checking with the warden, he said yes you can hunt that,,,, I shot 2 book bucks on that land,,, total acreage was 14 acres, and it was a pia, listening to the freeway traffic etc, but man the sign was there.....

Now that land has been acquisitioned by the Village, from the state, and some of it, is now a Park and Ride,,,, but deer are where you find them
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:03 pm

I have seen private guys that border public put some stands up to try and make others think they are hunting the spots. I’ve seen some good deer and got one nice one not to far from a spot that had a stand hung. As far as I know, no one has ever hunted it. :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”