Saddles vs. Lock ons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Saddles vs. Lock ons

Unread postby jbone23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 pm

How many of yall have made the switch from a quality mobile lock on setup to a saddle? and is it really that much better and worth the switch?

Guide2Gear
Facebook: Trey Arentz

Re: Saddles vs. Lock ons

Unread postby Guide2Gear » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Personally, I love the switch and found it to be way worth it. Takes a bit to get use to and to replace the concept we have all been taught, but I believe in most situations it’s beneficial. Placing the tree between you and the deer is the best, and being able to almost shoot 360 degrees is awesome.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm

I have not, but I am working on 70, so I think I will stay with my stick and hang on system.... However, I have watched some of the young guys use them, and it looks pretty cool,,,, however if not done correctly, you create a lot of movement, etc, and more work in a set up.....

as far as using the tree as cover, I have been doing that for years.... never understood, putting up a hang on, and stick right out front, I have always come up the back side, and set my stand using 3/4 of the tree for cover......

I believe from what I can see, it can be very effective
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 pm

I haven't made the switch yet, but I will be this year. I'm mainly fed up with a hauling the bulkiness of a stand around. I find myself wanting to bring a backpack anyways, and I would be able to get saddle, platform and sticks in one comfortably.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Only cons I found to a saddle is trees with a lot of limbs, mainly evergreens. You'd have to trim a ton to shoot through the tree. If you hunt with someone one would have to use a stand unless you want to gaze into each others eyes the whole sit. In rain water runs down your tether and onto your lap, something that makes the water run or drip at the start of the tether would solve this. Those are all the cons I've found so far.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm

New to the beast but hunting a saddle for 10 years. Not sure if could ever go back. So many advantages and the mobility is unlimited. Use whatever works for you !
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:11 pm

My thing with a saddle is taking the plunge. I know it’s relatively simple one dialed in, but it’s a lot to futz with and buying something I might hate is a concern. I know I can sell it all if I don’t like it, but is that worth the hassle? It’s a whole new can of worms, whereas the ladder stand, climber or hang-on are all variations on a theme. Not much adjustment needed.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 am

greenhorndave wrote:My thing with a saddle is taking the plunge. I know it’s relatively simple one dialed in, but it’s a lot to futz with and buying something I might hate is a concern. I know I can sell it all if I don’t like it, but is that worth the hassle? It’s a whole new can of worms, whereas the ladder stand, climber or hang-on are all variations on a theme. Not much adjustment needed.

It IS a big investment, luckily you can sell the stuff very easy and get all of your money back if you need to. To me, it's worth the hassle. I went from 30+ lbs of crap on my back just to climb and get setup to less than EIGHT POUNDS to climb and hang safely in comfort. Most of that weight is worn on my body or inside my small backpack so the bulk factor can't be ignored either. I have spots I hunt where I literally have to belly crawl through thickets to access the right way and with a stand on my back it would be impossible.
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 am

if cost is an issue try the sit drag solution
or a DIY solution

real inexpensive to start with

I hunt out of a piece of fleece one of the most comfy things I've hunted out
I was concerned at first but sitting in it became a no brainer

lots of info out there and even a forum for saddle hunters to bounce ideas off

also look at it as another tool for hunting
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:32 am

greenhorndave wrote:My thing with a saddle is taking the plunge. I know it’s relatively simple one dialed in, but it’s a lot to futz with and buying something I might hate is a concern. I know I can sell it all if I don’t like it, but is that worth the hassle? It’s a whole new can of worms, whereas the ladder stand, climber or hang-on are all variations on a theme. Not much adjustment needed.

You are correct. A saddle has a learning and comfort curve. Best way I've heard it described is like a new pair of shoes. At first they aren't comfortable but when everything is broke in it's the best lol. For me the benefits far outweigh the time it took to learn and get it adjusted to me and my body. If you want to try it I can help just pm me. I've been saddle hunting 10 years.
jmickey

Unread postby jmickey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:45 am

I just actually made the switch to a saddle. I ended up going with the mantis system, haven’t hunted from it yet but I been messing around with it in the yard. I must say, for me, I made it up the tree and set up way quicker than I would with a hang on. That was on my first try too. Also, like others stated on here. I can already see me moving around the brush a lot better without all the bulk. As for shooting, I had no problem climbing up and shooting out of it. Just like anything else, shooting a bow, shooting guns, setting up a hang on or climber it takes practice. I figure, for me, I can take at least an hour out of a week to set up and shoot before next season rolls around. I should be ready to go.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 am

jmickey wrote:I just actually made the switch to a saddle. I ended up going with the mantis system, haven’t hunted from it yet but I been messing around with it in the yard. I must say, for me, I made it up the tree and set up way quicker than I would with a hang on. That was on my first try too. Also, like others stated on here. I can already see me moving around the brush a lot better without all the bulk. As for shooting, I had no problem climbing up and shooting out of it. Just like anything else, shooting a bow, shooting guns, setting up a hang on or climber it takes practice. I figure, for me, I can take at least an hour out of a week to set up and shoot before next season rolls around. I should be ready to go.

Pop
For me. I actually shoot more stable out of it due to may whole lower body being braced on the tree. I have the mantis as well. Once you learn to trust that thing you'll be shooting from all kinds of positions very very vesitile. Wity my WE steps and aider I can get 25' with 8 lbs. Usually don't go that high but I can lol
andy

Unread postby andy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 am

I didn't have a ton of experience with tree stands in general, so when I bought a saddle I didn't have much of a mental switch to make. I'm not a huge fan of heights, and it always made me a bit giddy to climb from the sticks onto a stand and then screw around attaching the safety harness as fast as possible. When I realized that I felt much more comfortable in the lineman's belt hanging sticks than I did when sitting on the stand facing out, I figured I ought to try a saddle, as you are facing the tree the whole time. I like knowing that I am tethered to the tree and really cannot fall. Maybe there are advantages to using a stand that I never really discovered, but I love the saddle.

I bought an Aero Hunter Kite, and it has worked out pretty well. I did need to significantly shorten the bridge, spent some time figuring out tether height, and never really got comfortable using the Bullman Silent Approach ring of steps I got as a platform. The ratchet was loud, and I often found the steps twisting because I didn't have the ratchet reefed down enough. I just purchased a Tethrd Predator platform, so I will be testing that out.

From what I have experienced, there is a learning curve, but I found it pretty intuitive to figure out.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 am

Big thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

The advantages that flingin talked about were what has me considering it in the first place. The brush and deadfalls where I’ve been finding deer on public after gun season are not conducive with the used Maximus I bought as my first stand. Yes, I know a smaller stand would be easier, but not as easy and compact as Beast sticks and a full Tethrd system. Mobile indeed. A lot of coin, yes, but to have the whole thing in a backpack while crawling around like flingin mentioned and I’ve done before? Yuge.

And like Amdy, I’m not super fond of heights. Now, after my heinously ugly first attempt at setting up a hang-on, I’ve gotten good at it and can do it in one time up the tree. And I’m fairly comfortable.

But now that I think back to my college days, I did rapelling on a ROTC tower using a similar harness. Scared the bejabbers out of me the first time down, but I learned to trust the climbing harness thereafter.

Ok, so y’all helped me realize I can probably pull it off. :clap:

Time to save pennies. Thanks to the original poster for kicking this thing off.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
andy

Unread postby andy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:57 am

greenhorndave wrote: But now that I think back to my college days, I did rapelling on a ROTC tower using a similar harness. Scared the bejabbers out of me the first time down, but I learned to trust the climbing harness thereafter.
The rappel tower was my least favorite part of boot camp, until I stepped off the side and realized it's far less terrifying to hang off the side of the tower under tension and with good gear than it is to stand at the top looking down. Should have been my first clue that I would prefer a saddle :?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”