help with narrowin down hill country scouting efforts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck56

help with narrowin down hill country scouting efforts

Unread postby Buck56 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 am

new to hill country, any help on where to narrow down scouting to

backstraps

Re: help with narrowin down hill country scouting efforts

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:00 am

When scouting hill country, I try to determine where the wind tunnel will be. I then cut off anything that is leeward side. I begin scouting the leeward wind tunnel first. The sign you will find along the wind tunnel will kind of help you determine if a buck you are looking for is using the property. Then you can fine tune the scouting based on the buck sign that you are finding.

The maps you posted I cannot pull them up much larger to see elevation and contour lines enough to try and help with specifics
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Red circles are spots I’d hang a stand on a virgin sit. Green lines are first elevation areas I’d scout for bedding.

Looking at the aerial, yellow arrows are pointing to some inside corners and edges that could be dynamite. Blue lines are transition lines I’d walk looking for heavy trails.

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Buck56

Unread postby Buck56 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:26 pm

thanks gentlemen, i appreciate the help and feedback. its going to be a challenging but fun hunt. these hills arent as big as mountains but they seem as steep as them in alot of places. hopefully that will work to my advantage from a pressure standpoint
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Find the thickest spots on the property and you will find where the bucks bed. Find the spots that give them an advantage to see far, thick on top, springs and little water spots where they dont have to leave the cover for a drink.
They like to bed where its thick to their back and open to the front.
I have discovered in hill country they like to drop from the ridges where they bed to the hollows then back up. This gives them maximum scent smelling ability using dropping thermals.
Figure out what is the predominant wind in your neck of the woods. Then look for the leeward side of hills with this wind. Find the thickest spots. You can basically cross off open timber.
When they bed low it's usually near water. A creek to their back, or lake or anything similar. Find the thickest spots near these features and you found more buck bedding. After you narrow these spots down walk them out, go in those thickets. If snow is on the ground follow those trails, they will lead you right there. Look for the sign.
During the rut leeward side of the hills, saddles, inside corners of fields, funnels, ect. Again look at the sign from last year and it will tell you where they may be this year if still alive.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”