For Everyone who didn't shoot a buck!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Did you shoot a buck?

Yes
53%
No
40%
No, but that was not my expectation
8%

Total votes: 159
First Sit

Re: For Everyone who didn't shoot a buck!

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 am

Dewey wrote:My biggest challenge right now is the number of shooter bucks is drastically lower than it was 5-10 years ago. Considering that challenge I think I am still doing pretty well as far as encounters go.

This was my first year venturing up to Wis for deer so I'm not sure how it used to be. However ive heard this statement from a few Wis folks including dan. what do you feel is the reason for lower mature buck numbers hunting pressure, late antlerless hunts, cwd, or maybe all of those?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 am

First Sit wrote:
Dewey wrote:My biggest challenge right now is the number of shooter bucks is drastically lower than it was 5-10 years ago. Considering that challenge I think I am still doing pretty well as far as encounters go.

This was my first year venturing up to Wis for deer so I'm not sure how it used to be. However ive heard this statement from a few Wis folks including dan. what do you feel is the reason for lower mature buck numbers hunting pressure, late antlerless hunts, cwd, or maybe all of those?

The deer population in general is just way lower than it was. Less deer means less huntable bucks. Don’t get me wrong it’s not like that in the entire state but the number of counties on the downward slide is increasing every year which seems to be a trend in much of the midwest for some reason. I point to agreessive antlerless hunts over the years and many areas just never recovered. Worst part is it’s still going on in counties that are stuggling already. Kill off the breeder does and nub bucks and it’s never a good thing.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:28 am

First Sit wrote:

The thought of CWD has killed more deer than CWD since it just leads to bad management of deer herds. Hunter numbers have dropped so I'll toss pressure out as well.

Ultimately its too many doe tags and too many does shot. Bucks have one purpose and that is too breed. Well its kinda hard to do it solo. No does and you don't have fawns which grow up into big bucks. There are areas that need does shot. But the state as a whole does not. I have never heard anybody complain about seeing too many deer and not having a tag to shoot one. I hear guys complain every year about having a half dozen tags and never getting a shot at filling one. I don't know what the answer is, but it sure ain't what we are doing now.

I mean it could be worse so I guess there is that. But it could and should be a lot better. Maybe slash doe tags and put in APR's? Would really tank the harvest numbers for a couple seasons, but it would be nice to go out and see deer, even if I can't shoot any.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:07 am

Ehd rolled through a county where I hunt last year. The numbers were way down and will take some time to recover. As good sportsman and hunters we can only do our part. By holding out for the mature bucks and letting the younger ones live to breed and get big helps alot. Also harvesting does where the numbers are high will help as well. I could of shot alot more does this year and some smaller bucks but felt it wasnt worth it. I want to see the area recover and maybe I just need to do my part as well. I know it's just a dent in the bucket and many hunters dont feel this way but maybe it will make a difference.
Seems like the areas where the numbers are low comes and goes. Maybe the acorn crop, weather, pressure, ehd and so on just all add up. I quit using doe estrous and some other products. I guess we just need to protect what we hunt.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:19 pm

I didn't get a buck this year. But I had my sights set on a specific buck. First time I've ever targeted just one buck. Woulda needed to take a heck of a deer to get me to shoot if it wasn't my target buck. I did see him the first sit I went in on him and didn't push close enough. Saw him 1 other time and again didn't have myself in the ball game.

I did pass up a nice 8 point . Surprisingly I'm not wishing I had shot him. I learned allot this year just chaseing one special deer. I thought I was aggressive but like Dan says sometimes if ur not bumping deer ur not even in the ball game. 40 yards is all it would have took to kill that buck both times. Instead I was just a spectator :lol:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 pm

may21581 wrote:Ehd rolled through a county where I hunt last year. The numbers were way down and will take some time to recover. As good sportsman and hunters we can only do our part. By holding out for the mature bucks and letting the younger ones live to breed and get big helps alot. Also harvesting does where the numbers are high will help as well. I could of shot alot more does this year and some smaller bucks but felt it wasnt worth it. I want to see the area recover and maybe I just need to do my part as well. I know it's just a dent in the bucket and many hunters dont feel this way but maybe it will make a difference.
Seems like the areas where the numbers are low comes and goes. Maybe the acorn crop, weather, pressure, ehd and so on just all add up. I quit using doe estrous and some other products. I guess we just need to protect what we hunt.

if i wanted too shoot all the deer i saw this year id need a tractor trailer size walk in freezer. every bit helps and in the end no biologist can tell a hunter how many too shoot. as a hunter its our responsibility too manage our local herds. and hunting was made too manage and keep our herds healthy only recently has these long traditions been forgotten. but as responsible hunters we can fix this without guide lines from our corrupt states.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:35 pm

I didn't shoot a buck this past season. But I'm happy with the encounters I did have. I got within 30 yards of a big buck on WI public land. He woulda been my biggest ever.
I consider that a success. I didn't get much hunting in this past season. I think I just need more time in the field to get it done. Nobody gets to kill a good buck consistently without paying their dues. In a way I'm glad I didn't get a big buck because it would have felt too easy. This season has left me hungry for more. More scouting, more preparation etc. To answer the original question in the thread, what am I going to do to "fix" it? I'm going to keep hunting :mrgreen:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:15 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
may21581 wrote:Ehd rolled through a county where I hunt last year. The numbers were way down and will take some time to recover. As good sportsman and hunters we can only do our part. By holding out for the mature bucks and letting the younger ones live to breed and get big helps alot. Also harvesting does where the numbers are high will help as well. I could of shot alot more does this year and some smaller bucks but felt it wasnt worth it. I want to see the area recover and maybe I just need to do my part as well. I know it's just a dent in the bucket and many hunters dont feel this way but maybe it will make a difference.

if i wanted too shoot all the deer i saw this year id need a tractor trailer size walk in freezer. every bit helps and in the end no biologist can tell a hunter how many too shoot. as a hunter its our responsibility too manage our local herds. and hunting was made too manage and keep our herds healthy only recently has these long traditions been forgotten. but as responsible hunters we can fix this without guide lines from our corrupt states.

Agree with this GH. In the end, we can only be responsible for ourselves, but hey, that’s at least one more person not doing the if-it’s-brown-it’s-down thing.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Can I vote twice? Killed a target buck in Ohio where I live, got my but kicked at the PA camp and nothing to show for it there.... didn’t kill a buck at all last year and shot a lot of does because of it, everyone will have a buckless year at some point, makes us all hunt harder the next year
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 am

I only killed does this year. I’m ok with that. The better news is that i refined a couple spots, got a better understanding of a couple good chunks of public and found another new to me property. IMO I had a Pretty good season...for my standards anyway. Good thing those are the only standards I really care about.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:53 am

greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Agree with this GH. In the end, we can only be responsible for ourselves, but hey, that’s at least one more person not doing the if-it’s-brown-it’s-down thing.

Biologists and the folks hired to run the d.n.r. do tell us how many deer we can shoot. They establish the hunter guidelines book every year and if you choose to not follow it then your a poacher and maybe they will get caught and maybe they wont. We can do our part within their guidelines and if we dont like it then contest it at their next meeting. I have a feeling though that not many will go there.
How am I supposed to manage my local herd? I dont know how many deer a guy down the road shot! It's hard to look away from solid data. The deer harvested in one of my counties was 75 percent lower than three years ago. So in response the state put no doe restrictions on state land after gun season. I feel we need to work together with the state on this like it or not. Too much blame going around. There will always be topics we dont agree with in the big scheme of things.
Also hunting wasnt made, It was a means of survival at one point before there was wallyworld. If hunting was made to keep the herds in check then what happened to all the buffaloes? Also one hunters traditions will vary to the next guys.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:55 am

may21581 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Biologists and the folks hired to run the d.n.r. do tell us how many deer we can shoot. They establish the hunter guidelines book every year and if you choose to not follow it then your a poacher and maybe they will get caught and maybe they wont. We can do our part within their guidelines and if we dont like it then contest it at their next meeting. I have a feeling though that not many will go there.
How am I supposed to manage my local herd? I dont know how many deer a guy down the road shot! It's hard to look away from solid data. The deer harvested in one of my counties was 75 percent lower than three years ago. So in response the state put no doe restrictions on state land after gun season. I feel we need to work together with the state on this like it or not. Too much blame going around. There will always be topics we dont agree with in the big scheme of things.
Also hunting wasnt made, It was a means of survival at one point before there was wallyworld. If hunting was made to keep the herds in check then what happened to all the buffaloes? Also one hunters traditions will vary to the next guys.

http://www.rmef.org/Conservation/Huntin ... Model.aspx hear a link too our conservation model i think our ideals have been pushed out of contrast with what we actually need too do. if states wont reduce harvests we have too take responsibility for our actions and make it a point too encourage other fellow hunters too do the same. for the sake of the future of hunting its our responsibility as the person pulling the trigger. if your deer herd is struggling we cant shoot every deer in one area we need too spread out our harvests and only take what we see as ethical for our area. if we want bigger bucks we need too pass younger deer in areas we want them. if we want higher populations we need too stop shooting all the does. I personally shoot 4 to 5 deer a year but i never shoot them in the same place i spread my kills out threw out my county. i take my meat deer in areas i see unfit for a high percent survival rate of mature animals. i take them near highways and near towns. i let bucks and does go in in areas i want too shoot older deer. sure im only one guy but if people see that doing this is successful that is our goal. we need too be role models for the future of hunting because in the end we are not hear forever, but hunting will be as long as we set examples for others and encourage our ideals. we must never forget what we stand for. there is no reason why we cant fill our freezers and manage all together. and frankly if there were big bucks behind every tree i would probably stop hunting because i love the chase and challenge of all of it. if a hunter wants too fill there freezer with spikes doe fawns or any other mix of that thats there right and i will never frown on that. but we need too take this responsibility personally and set an example for our future generations and set a moral and ethical standard that everybody can respect.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:49 am

I didn’t shoot a buck because I have extremely high standards. I won’t shoot a buck if it isn’t one I’d mount. I also know which ones I want to shoot....for the most part. If I can’t get the one I want I’d just as soon shoot a doe. I never understood this whole mystique about getting A buck. Even as a teenager I didn’t get it. A 2 year old 8 point is most likely easier to kill than a 3/4 year old doe. It doesn’t really matter if the hunter is happy. It’s the one that say “it’s only” that irritate me. Secondly, when people shoot 2 yo bucks, that’s one less possible 4 year old buck.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:51 am

I think we are on the same page but perhaps you took what I said in my original post and took it as a nock to guys that fill tags. The original post was about guys that didnt shoot a buck and I was simply stating how I approached my season for the area in which I hunt. I was talking about not shooting deer and filling my freezer because I could clearly see the numbers were clearly low. So in return i would like to see this area recover and I was just wanting to do my part in the scheme of things.
I understand you dont agree with the numbers where the state has them set. As a hunter it's only common sense to want more numbers. More numbers equal more opportunity. I will say this though, during the rut and gun season years ago it was nothing to see 5-10 deer hit on the road on my in to work. So is this a problem? Everything goes through cycles, some years are good and some are bad. I agree with what your saying about being ethical and wanting to pass on the right values onto the younger generation coming up. I do have a question for you though. If the d.n.r. has the numbers so far off then how is it that you guys are putting down all those slobs? Last time I checked you guys are the top state for booners!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:58 am

may21581 wrote:I think we are on the same page but perhaps you took what I said in my original post and took it as a nock to guys that fill tags. The original post was about guys that didnt shoot a buck and I was simply stating how I approached my season for the area in which I hunt. I was talking about not shooting deer and filling my freezer because I could clearly see the numbers were clearly low. So in return i would like to see this area recover and I was just wanting to do my part in the scheme of things.
I understand you dont agree with the numbers where the state has them set. As a hunter it's only common sense to want more numbers. More numbers equal more opportunity. I will say this though, during the rut and gun season years ago it was nothing to see 5-10 deer hit on the road on my in to work. So is this a problem? Everything goes through cycles, some years are good and some are bad. I agree with what your saying about being ethical and wanting to pass on the right values onto the younger generation coming up. I do have a question for you though. If the d.n.r. has the numbers so far off then how is it that you guys are putting down all those slobs? Last time I checked you guys are the top state for booners!

Sorry I thought you were from wisconsin, just seen Jersey. Just read your link, not positive but pretty sure this is kinda what we both have been agreeing on already? And yeah gh I'm not another brown it's down hunter! Thanks for the good observation.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”