Will does bed in buck beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seuss79

Will does bed in buck beds?

Unread postby seuss79 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 am

Will they? I've done some searches on here and on Google and can't find anything. I am asking because I found some potential buck bedding area.

Dewey

Re: Will does bed in buck beds?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:01 am

seuss79 wrote:Will they? I've done some searches on here and on Google and can't find anything. I am asking because I found some potential buck bedding area.

I see it often. Especially the old does that don’t have a fawn. They seem to prefer the secluded bedding away from other deer just like big ole’ bucks.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 am

I say yes and no, I think it depends on type of terrain, time of year and age class of bucks. I hunt a cedar swamp and in the winter they seem to herd up down in there but, in the spring summer and fall it seems mature bucks bed away from doe groups. In hill country the mature bucks and does seem to have there separate areas all year.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:42 am

I have seen lone does bed in buck beds on the wrong wind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm

I’ve seen does come out of classic buck bedding locations quite a few times. And little bucks.

My first season using Beast tactics I set up on a lot of mediocre bedding. Every time I caught movement I was sure it was Mr. Big. NOPE ;)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:36 pm

I've had mature doe's come out of classic buck bedding.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:16 am

i see it all the time where i hunt even during the rut. a lot of times alpha does will move into buck bedding during breeding think they are making sure they are being bred buy the right bucks. i seen it many times during the rut. your sitting watching a buck bed and keep seeing small satellite bucks circle a big buck bed and all a sudden you see a mature do stand up and have the big one get up right behind her. also any doe thats buy herself will bed like a buck. but also bucks will bed like does when they are grouped up i see this late season when the bucks are trying too stay close too food its not a every day thing but they do it when needed. i watched this 2 weeks ago scouting i kicked up 3 large body bucks they were bedded in a circle just like does. the weather was on a shift for the worse and the bucks were staying close too there food source. the only time i see bucks and does separated is when they are dropping fawns then they look for seclusion. another thing you should remember is a lot of times you end up going threw does too get too buck bedding. when this happens you push the does right against the buck bedding and see them using the beds. the more pressure an area gets the more does will seek out buck bedding. remember buck bedding is the most secure spot in a area so its only natural for deer too go there too find sanctuary. a good way too find buck bedding scouting is too follow does when you bump them often you will find they lead you right too the most secure location. i scout this kind of sign after gun season and have found many bucks following pressured does.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:21 am

Bucks and does commonly bed in very close proximity.
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:08 am

This weekend i found these on two points. I'm still trying to learn the difference between doe and buck beds by seeing them in person. I have the 4 DVDs and am halfway through hill country with farm country to still watch.

1st point the rubs are old but they are within 10 feet of the bed.
2nd point. There is a slight hill right behind the beds.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:36 am

freezeAR wrote:I have seen lone does bed in buck beds on the wrong wind.

Same here. Where I hunt there are often does bedding close to bucks.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:12 am

Being new I cant really answer but I have heard Dan say that there are really good bedding areas that dominant buck will occupy... if theres another deer there when he comes in he will kick that deer out. I would assume that a mature doe would bed there also if a dominant buck isnt around ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”