Tutorial - hunting without snow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ODH
500 Club

Re: Tutorial - hunting without snow

Unread postby ODH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14 am

Great information thanks for posting that

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:53 am

I have traveled that creek before... :P
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
superblackhawk

Unread postby superblackhawk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:41 pm

tag for later :clap:
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Thanks for your time Magic. I have done very little big woods hunting and even less successful tracking.
In listening I compare my experiences to yours and find it fascinating of how much bucks act like bucks and yet how different they can be.
I’m sure some is just “personalities” but I’m also confident that the up Nort bucks have evolved somewhat to their environs to make them act accordingly.

One of the big ones that I’m trying to wrap my head around is your comment on mature buck routes going stagnant after it’s killed.

I would think that routes, like beds would be taken on an hierarchy basis. And when one dies or is dethroned it would be taken over by the next one up. Or at least during favorable season (food, poon, wind etc).
And...wouldn’t routes be super closely related to their beds and food or doe bedding?
If you would care to elaborate on this topic I’m all ears.

Again. Bravo for sharing!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Arrowbender wrote:Thanks for your time Magic. I have done very little big woods hunting and even less successful tracking.
In listening I compare my experiences to yours and find it fascinating of how much bucks act like bucks and yet how different they can be.
I’m sure some is just “personalities” but I’m also confident that the up Nort bucks have evolved somewhat to their environs to make them act accordingly.

One of the big ones that I’m trying to wrap my head around is your comment on mature buck routes going stagnant after it’s killed.

I would think that routes, like beds would be taken on an hierarchy basis. And when one dies or is dethroned it would be taken over by the next one up. Or at least during favorable season (food, poon, wind etc).
And...wouldn’t routes be super closely related to their beds and food or doe bedding?
If you would care to elaborate on this topic I’m all ears.

Again. Bravo for sharing!

Many parts or sections of routes will be used by many bucks. They like to travel edges and the lay of the land will naturally funnel them. Each buck has a home range and picks routes to move around their home range. Their overall routes are very individual. Even beds are often quiet personal. Im sure other bucks might bed there but they probably get booted if the mature buck shows up. I tracked one back to a bedding area and actually blew up 2 bucks out of there. A lot of the crossings I watch are used by just one buck. If that buck disappears that crossing usually doesnt get taken over. They seem to be very individual.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Another trend I see is these mature bucks having several home cores. They could be 1/2 mile or several miles apart. If they are not hanging in this core area then they are probably over by the other. They are all unique.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 am

Ok. I am in on the multiple core areas. I see the same in farm country.
I assume I haven’t noticed the abandoned routes or crossings because of my lack of tracking forays.
I have noticed that certain bucks have their “favorite “ crossings. Just never looked at them the same as bed “ownership”.
Of course I realize there aren’t hard fast rules; but I appreciate the insight.
I will be more observant of this trend now.

Keepem Coming!
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks Magic for your tutorial on hunting without snow. I finally had time to sit down and gather it all in ! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 am

I'll check it later, good to see you putting some video content out. I always appreciate your perspective and insight.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 am

magicman54494 wrote:Another trend I see is these mature bucks having several home cores. They could be 1/2 mile or several miles apart. If they are not hanging in this core area then they are probably over by the other. They are all unique.

I agree with this- when I hunted Montana wilderness the bucks often had different core areas for different conditions/time of year. I also see this a lot in cattle country where there is not a lot of ag fields. It is a different game 100%.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 am

magicman54494 wrote:Another trend I see is these mature bucks having several home cores. They could be 1/2 mile or several miles apart. If they are not hanging in this core area then they are probably over by the other. They are all unique.

100% agree
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”