Too freaked out to hunt tonight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Too freaked out to hunt tonight

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:34 pm

Got a text from one of the guys who I work with asking me if I was going out tonight. He told me that since 12 noon today 4 trucks parked at the gates on a couple different state tracts I hunted got their windows smashed out and anything they could grab stolen out of their trucks including guns. And he ran into one of the troopers taking a report and the cop said it happened several times more this week apparently. First of all you have to have a giant set of balls to break into a guys truck that is hunting and second of all that’s just some common BS. We have until the 2nd of February until the season over and I’m still putting time in but not if that garbage is going on. I think I would take somebody out cartel style if they did that to me. In the 19 years I’ve been hunting these areas I’ve never had a single thing messed with. I figured it was junky crap. Smash and grab and trade or sell for dope. But for Christ sake wtf is wrong with people?

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Too freaked out to hunt tonight

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:41 pm

That sucks. Crooks are gonna crook.

In reality, the trucks are easy marks, I hate to say. There for hours on end unattended.

Whereabouts was this happening?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:43 pm

:twisted:

That's horrible. I wouldn't leave my truck there either.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:43 pm

It bothers me that people forgot decency at some point.
My break in story involved the beast. Somewhere close to first finding the website I cyberscout a thick field alongside a busy highway. Late season with a few inches of snow and I decide to confirm the accuracy of what dan is sharing. The trip out to the small tree growing in an overgrown field and back was MAYBE an hour, midday. BED FOUND! But the stupid thieves , the stupid thieves got into my truck.
I never hunted that place again even with good Intel. Oh well.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Bigburner wrote:Got a text from one of the guys who I work with asking me if I was going out tonight. He told me that since 12 noon today 4 trucks parked at the gates on a couple different state tracts I hunted got their windows smashed out and anything they could grab stolen out of their trucks including guns. And he ran into one of the troopers taking a report and the cop said it happened several times more this week apparently. First of all you have to have a giant set of balls to break into a guys truck that is hunting and second of all that’s just some common BS. We have until the 2nd of February until the season over and I’m still putting time in but not if that garbage is going on. I think I would take somebody out cartel style if they did that to me. In the 19 years I’ve been hunting these areas I’ve never had a single thing messed with. I figured it was junky crap. Smash and grab and trade or sell for dope. But for Christ sake wtf is wrong with people?

Get a friend to drop you off and pick you up.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Too bad the police can't park a van and sit and wait for these fools...
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Sounds like a good time for a well placed trail camera or two.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Sucks but people are just completely evil and idiotic these days. A big incident that recently happened in my area involved a special needs child and a service dog. Child came from a low income family and a wealthy man with a good heart gave her a top of the line service dog that cost close to $10,000. She had him for a few years and a week or so ago let him out to pee and minutes later heard a barrage of gun fire and the dog was blasted in there front yard in town. Big investigation going on, personally hope the cut the 's hands off.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 pm

Could you set a couple trail cameras to watch your truck? I’d take the risk of the broken window if it meant catching the idiots. :L:

Maybe get yourself a dye pack and put it in a nice looking package on your seat
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:01 am

I'd hunt the same. It's the game that has changed :lol: Honestly it would take way more than that to keep me out of the woods. I would go to a new spot at most, but If I was OK with being done after a long season.........well maybe that would be a good enough reason to spend more time at the house.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Weezy

Unread postby Weezy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:55 pm

We have the same problems around the area I live at in NW Michigan but at canoe launches or places where guys park to fish along the rivers. Sad.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Right on the dope. An urban spot I hunt, I saw 2 people back into a private spot, doing heroin. Called the cops but they were gone by the time the cops arrived.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:46 pm

I’ve never been broken into while hunting but I think about it every time I leave my truck. A lot of these parking areas are off the beaten path without much traffic so they feel comfortable smashing and grabbing I guess. That’s just crazy
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:03 pm

All the remote scouting that I do, I often think of situations like this. I worry about what nut or serial killer I might come across. Strangest thing so far was a man driving around looking for his son. He told me his son ran away from home and he and the police were looking for him.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:36 pm

I wouldn't be able to enjoy my hunt and focus with the thought of someone busting into my truck.

Getting dropped off would be my best bet. Secondly I'd setup a trail cam for security. Sucks man, Im a city guy and I honestly always look over my shoulder. I'd be paranoid if I was in your area.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”