Run-N-Gun Questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigrivermarine

Run-N-Gun Questions

Unread postby Bigrivermarine » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:06 am

After watching every YouTube video on the Hunting Beast, THP, and others, as well as buying Dans videos, I’m left with a few questions (As Usual). :think:

1- I see some hunters going in in the mornings and coming out after dark with headlights or some other form of light. My question is—Doesn’t the buck you’re after see that light coming in and blow out of his area before actually bedding? And 2- Of course the deer see that light when you leave, especially when they are already feeding around your setup. What effects do the lights play on how those deer react the next few days or so???? I slip out at night but I bust lots of deer doing it, even when I go slow (I don’t yet have enough bedding/hunting spots to leave them alone for more than a week or so), and frankly, I hunt lots of box stands over and over with my kids and grandkids on the small private ground we’re allowed to hunt, but we’re just ANY deer hunting then. I do hunt mostly afternoon sets because I’m afraid I’ll blow out my buck going in with a light in the AM. Thx in advance for your replies!!!!

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Re: Run-N-Gun Questions

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:38 pm

I have walked right past a ton of deer with a light on in the dark. It doesn't really seem to bother them. This past year I had a 140 inch 9 point walk by me at 20 yards while I was walking out. I watched it for 5 minutes with my headlamp and it never looked at me, or even acted spooky.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:33 pm

This past season I had does twice at 5 and 10 yards while using a flashlight. I'm sure no light at all is best if you can keep quiet.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:04 am

Bigrivermarine wrote:After watching every YouTube video on the Hunting Beast, THP, and others, as well as buying Dans videos, I’m left with a few questions (As Usual). :think:

1- I see some hunters going in in the mornings and coming out after dark with headlights or some other form of light. My question is—Doesn’t the buck you’re after see that light coming in and blow out of his area before actually bedding? And 2- Of course the deer see that light when you leave, especially when they are already feeding around your setup. What effects do the lights play on how those deer react the next few days or so???? I slip out at night but I bust lots of deer doing it, even when I go slow (I don’t yet have enough bedding/hunting spots to leave them alone for more than a week or so), and frankly, I hunt lots of box stands over and over with my kids and grandkids on the small private ground we’re allowed to hunt, but we’re just ANY deer hunting then. I do hunt mostly afternoon sets because I’m afraid I’ll blow out my buck going in with a light in the AM. Thx in advance for your replies!!!!

The key is to plan your entry/exit routes so you avoid the deer as best as possible. I know sometimes depending on where you hunt that can be a challenge.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:07 am

The lights can and do tip them off but the scent you leave on the ground is probably worse, remember we usually hunt a location once and move on as to catch the deer by surprise so the goal is to get there long before the deer, or slip in around first light as quiet as possible. Usually leaving at night you aren't coming buck but there are many scenarios where you might want to come back the next morning or the next day, then you might want to consider slipping out as quiet as possible and even walking a ways without a light.

I have had several times where I am walking out with a headlight and catch a set of eyes, the deer seemed plenty content to just sit and watch you walk on by and they often do that. However every time I would stop and look their way they bolt.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Bigrivermarine wrote:After watching every YouTube video on the Hunting Beast, THP, and others, as well as buying Dans videos, I’m left with a few questions (As Usual). :think:

The key is to plan your entry/exit routes so you avoid the deer as best as possible. I know sometimes depending on where you hunt that can be a challenge.

What Bowhunting Brian said is above all else the most important factor. If you are walking through deer on the way in or way out, it’s not going to matter what light you have on.

Also, it’s important to note that a lot of THP and Beast tactics are “turn and burn”- some of the spots you see them sit they only sit once, or as the title of the thread implies, even if the same area is hunted more than once, it is rarely ever from the same tree, which is the beauty of a mobile setup. You aren’t married to a pre-hung stand, so at first blush, any tree is an option.

One tactic I’ve only read about, but has heralded success is to have someone drive a vehicle of some sort to or from a stand on a food source (if possible).
Another tactic would be to blow a coyote howl prior to leaving your stand to clear the field. (Probably not so good for your entry.)
A final thing I’ve been working on is to just flat-out run back to your vehicle. Deer are less threatened by this noise/sight than the sound of some predator sneaking through. I remember tracking a buck in the Adirondacks once- I had just jumped the buck, so I was literally jogging along his track, and I jogged right past 3-4 does 20-30 yards away that were digging ferns. They merely picked their heads up as I waved as I went by.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:23 am

SamPotter wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Bigrivermarine wrote:
Also, it’s important to note that a lot of THP and Beast tactics are “turn and burn”- some of the spots you see them sit they only sit once, or as the title of the thread implies, even if the same area is hunted more than once, it is rarely ever from the same tree, which is the beauty of a mobile setup. You aren’t married to a pre-hung stand, so at first blush, any tree is an option.

I love the turn and burn, It really minimizes the impact of any one detail......ground scent, blowing deer out, etc.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:43 am

I used to coon hunt a lot when I was younger and would see deer and walk by them all the time. Sometimes they were bedded, sometimes they were feeding but most of the time they just watched you pass. Every now and then you’d see some blow out and leave but it wasn’t the norm. Me personally I like to walk in in the gray light, that way I can walk in easier and quieter without a light at all. Theres spot I hunt some that’s a great pinch point between 2 fields and bedding and feeding areas that a couple years ago I noticed when I’d walk in with a light I’d bump deer and not see any that morning. One day I was running late and went in as it was getting light and had a great morning. Since then I generally always wait til around gray light and my sightings have went up. If its a mile or so back to where I want to go I will walk most of it with a light then turn it off and then wait around til gray light to slip in
Bigrivermarine

Unread postby Bigrivermarine » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:46 am

Thank You to all of you for your replies. Great advise that will definitely be taken from each of you. I’m 61 now and I WILL NOT be running out at night though. :lol: :D

I do have access to lots of land locked public ground that my SIL’s farm ground surrounds, and even tons more that no one seems to enter much. I’ll be getting more spots so I don’t overhunt the areas I’m referring to. I totally agree with only hunting a spot 1-3 times a year. My key will be find more good spots to hunt and let those bucks in the best areas stay comfortable in and around their preferred bedding areas for the time of year and wind directions they bed there in. I guess the light question will be solved then. With enough spots, even if you bump them out, they’ll have time to settle down and stay put.

Thanks again for all of y’alls advise. Great group of guys and gals on this site. Wish I would have found out about it years ago!!!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:26 am

Supposedly deer don’t see green light. In the am I use a green head lamp, the thought being it’s less disturbing. I’m not sure if this is this is 100% true but i’ve read it multiple places. When leaving in the night about 50-100 yards from my tree I use the brightest headlamp. I’m not coming back to that spot for at least a month or maybe until next year. I’d rather march my way out with out tripping over something, getting turned around, or shot at. There some nuts in the sticks.
Persistence is undefeated.
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:04 am

I can’t remeber if it’s in part one or two, but the White Knuckle podcast/video with all the public land guys this gets answered by all those guy (dan included).

Those two parts is a great watch/listen if you got time for it!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:12 am

the light is much less of a problem for the deer than the 6ft bi-pedaler it is attached to :P
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Doublejake
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=645026746

Unread postby Doublejake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:34 pm

I use a bushnell flashlight with a red light. Less invasive. Also don’t use one that will light something up a mile away. Low lumens. Just enough to see right in front of you. I would imagine if going through a meadow your busted no matter what. But the woods is a different story for the light getting detected.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”