Turkey Sounds for Stalking Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Turkey Sounds for Stalking Bucks

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 am

When stalking a known buck bed on the perfect wind, could you get away with walking through crunchy leaves by using a turkey mouth call using little clucks here and there?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
adudeuknow

Re: Turkey Sounds for Stalking Bucks

Unread postby adudeuknow » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:28 am

I believe in it. I use both turkey mouth call and deer grunt when walking in crunchy leaves.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 am

I would, but only if you make a loud noise. No sense in drawing unnecessary attention. Deer will still be looking even if they think you’re a turkey.
rff

Unread postby rff » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:40 am

I've used it while creeping around corn fields.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:54 am

SamPotter wrote:I would, but only if you make a loud noise. No sense in drawing unnecessary attention. Deer will still be looking even if they think you’re a turkey.

hit that nail why draw attention make a noise give it time. deer will stand frozen for a while if they hear something. you have too camp them out at that point and wait. calling is last resort when the jig is up. ive even settled deer down buy simply turning around and running back fifty yards. animals occasionally spook each other. simply doing this settles them down. moving in and getting closer is very difficult flowing with nature is the best way when going blind moving threw areas with more squirrels and using there movement ahead of you too mask your movement. a wood pecker dropping bark from a tree will cover your footsteps. geese flying over birds moving threw the forest brush the wind picking up for a moment.deer need a visual with the sound or a familiar noise that they see as no attention needed. walking strait threw a forest is one animal a human no matter how quiet you are. when your in the woods moving act natural take a couple steps act like a animal and walk with no real purpose other than living and eating. ive killed deer on the ground many times buy making noise and waiting sometimes deer will start walking over too smell what they herd. and during the rut ive been close too ran over buy other deer. once a hunter learns too move with the flow of the woods you will find yourself shooting more and more deer walking in.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:10 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
SamPotter wrote:I would, but only if you make a loud noise. No sense in drawing unnecessary attention. Deer will still be looking even if they think you’re a turkey.

hit that nail why draw attention make a noise give it time. deer will stand frozen for a while if they hear something. you have too camp them out at that point and wait. calling is last resort when the jig is up. ive even settled deer down buy simply turning around and running back fifty yards. animals occasionally spook each other. simply doing this settles them down. moving in and getting closer is very difficult flowing with nature is the best way when going blind moving threw areas with more squirrels and using there movement ahead of you too mask your movement. a wood pecker dropping bark from a tree will cover your footsteps. geese flying over birds moving threw the forest brush the wind picking up for a moment.deer need a visual with the sound or a familiar noise that they see as no attention needed. walking strait threw a forest is one animal a human no matter how quiet you are. when your in the woods moving act natural take a couple steps act like a animal and walk with no real purpose other than living and eating. ive killed deer on the ground many times buy making noise and waiting sometimes deer will start walking over too smell what they herd. and during the rut ive been close too ran over buy other deer. once a hunter learns too move with the flow of the woods you will find yourself shooting more and more deer walking in.

one of the best calls too use if you bump deer is a fawn bleat. fawns are stupid and move without a care in the world. they are not really a animal deer focus on simply because deer are used too there shenanigans. a buck grunts because hes asserting dominance and every deer in the woods will be looking your way too see what your up too. if using a turkey call witch is not a bad choice as long as you have turkeys around dont just call scratch the ground make it believable. i think this is why most people dont have success calling or rattling two deer fighting make alot more noise than just antlers you need ground noise too finish the illusion.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:17 am

If the leaves are crunchy and odds are against you.........maybe. i could see trying this with a gun in hand, cover some ground and catch something off guard juat long enough. Ive been known to try trick plays like this before. That said if i had a good bed scouted i would be as careful as i could.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:20 am

This being said, I fondly remember my granddad taking me on a deer hunt when I was 10 or so. We’d take a few steps and then he’d scratch around in the leaves a bit. “Why are you going that Granddad?” “I’m trying to sound like we’re turkeys feeding.”
Definite A-ha moment for 10 year old me. Ever since, I have kept a turkey diaphragm in my pack, and when conditions don’t allow for quiet entry, I let out a few purrs, soft yelps, and scratch around in the leaves a bit. It really does work, it’s just better if you aren’t able to be seen when you do it.
I’m also trying to perfect my coon squall for when I accidentally make noise getting set up in a tree in the dark.

At the end of the day, deer really aren’t “smart”. Sure, they have an amazing sense of smell and are extremely wary, but there’s not that much brain power between their ears. It is not difficult to paint an audible picture for them that convinces them of a false reality, especially if it is something they don’t care about, like a turkey.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:14 am

SamPotter wrote:

This being said, I fondly remember my granddad taking me on a deer hunt when I was 10 or so. We’d take a few steps and then he’d scratch around in the leaves a bit. “Why are you going that Granddad?” “I’m trying to sound like we’re turkeys feeding.”
Definite A-ha moment for 10 year old me. Ever since, I have kept a turkey diaphragm in my pack, and when conditions don’t allow for quiet entry, I let out a few purrs, soft yelps, and scratch around in the leaves a bit. It really does work, it’s just better if you aren’t able to be seen when you do it.
I’m also trying to perfect my coon squall for when I accidentally make noise getting set up in a tree in the dark.

At the end of the day, deer really aren’t “smart”. Sure, they have an amazing sense of smell and are extremely wary, but there’s not that much brain power between their ears. It is not difficult to paint an audible picture for them that convinces them of a false reality, especially if it is something they don’t care about, like a turkey.

That’s what I needed to hear! Speaking of getting up a tree in the dark, I wonder if an owl hoot would convince them it’s nothing more than a bird..??
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:27 pm

funderburk wrote:
SamPotter wrote:

That’s what I needed to hear! Speaking of getting up a tree in the dark, I wonder if an owl hoot would convince them it’s nothing more than a bird..??

i can tell you this from experience when the sun brightens up the woods you will be surrounded buy owls :lol:
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
funderburk wrote:
SamPotter wrote:

i can tell you this from experience when the sun brightens up the woods you will be surrounded buy owls :lol:

Ha! That could be terrifying.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”