Trail Camera + Silicone

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whi52873

Trail Camera + Silicone

Unread postby whi52873 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Has anyone used silicone to plug the external power jack port, tv out port, USB port, microphone (if no intentions on using video mode), etc. on your trail cameras? And maybe the crack where the two halves of the camera meet? I know cameras come with rubber seals but for added protection.

I’ve read some people use the silica gel packets around the batteries and it got me thinking about the other areas moisture could get in. Just trying to figure out a way to make my cameras last longer when I let them soak for months at a time in changing weather....especially when it starts getting hot and humid this offseason. Any advice is appreciated!

EllieTheChubb

Re: Trail Camera + Silicone

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Silica gel could work but I would avoid putting any true sealant on your camera. You are more likely to trap moisture in than keep it out considering most USB, A/V charging ports are located on the underside of the body. If any moisture does penetrate the body it has nowhere to escape.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”