Time spent walking back in the dark?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tundra

Re: Time spent walking back in the dark?

Unread postby tundra » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:06 pm

I have some long walk ins' when I hunt the UP, at my cabin. I use the clip on reflector tags, on the way in, and remove the tag, as I come out,,,, helps me navigate in the dark well, especially because I hunt along drainages up here, etc....... I am going to try and learn a GPS this year, now in my down time......

In SW Wis, not needed so much, country is easy to navigate, even in the dark...... IN the UP I usually shoot my deer mid afternoon etc, so lots of times I am very late coming out.... since I break my deer down, I might be awhile.... what I can not take out in the first trip I will hang with para cord in the trees, to come for in the am,,,,, I am in wolf country, and some coyote, and lots of cat.......

SE Wis, nothing is really, since my spots, even back in the swamps, are not that difficult to navigate, I know them so well......................

In the UP, I only spent the night, once. shot a nice 10, was dead tired, and no way, was I going to leave it,,,,, build a big fire, some hot tea, and a space blanket, etc, it was a cool night...... love watching them stars, my crackling fire, and my satisfaction, that even I, a mediocre hunter can find one, once in awhile

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:16 pm

tundra wrote:I have some long walk ins' when I hunt the UP, at my cabin. I use the clip on reflector tags, on the way in, and remove the tag, as I come out,,,, helps me navigate in the dark well, especially because I hunt along drainages up here, etc....... I am going to try and learn a GPS this year, now in my down time......

In SW Wis, not needed so much, country is easy to navigate, even in the dark...... IN the UP I usually shoot my deer mid afternoon etc, so lots of times I am very late coming out.... since I break my deer down, I might be awhile.... what I can not take out in the first trip I will hang with para cord in the trees, to come for in the am,,,,, I am in wolf country, and some coyote, and lots of cat.......

SE Wis, nothing is really, since my spots, even back in the swamps, are not that difficult to navigate, I know them so well......................

In the UP, I only spent the night, once. shot a nice 10, was dead tired, and no way, was I going to leave it,,,,, build a big fire, some hot tea, and a space blanket, etc, it was a cool night...... love watching them stars, my crackling fire, and my satisfaction, that even I, a mediocre hunter can find one, once in awhile

That overnighter with a big buck sounds like an awesome experience
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 pm

There's nothing in the woods at night that isn't there during the day.... I honestly don't pay attention to the time. I hunt to the buzzer and then pack up and head out.
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Never really got the whole “don’t use a flashlight” deal. I’d agree with the 5min - 2hr window. Always a light on as I like to see where I’m walking. Will turn it off to catch my bearing at times - basically looking for a land mark in the skyline/treetops.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 pm

365all_out wrote:Never really got the whole “don’t use a flashlight” deal. I’d agree with the 5min - 2hr window. Always a light on as I like to see where I’m walking. Will turn it off to catch my bearing at times - basically looking for a land mark in the skyline/treetops.

Agree.....unless it's a bright moon night or you are walking on a well used trail/two track, how in the world are these guys not tripping up on stuff.

Now, if I know there are others in the woods I will try not to use my light until I know they are gone as not to attract attention to where I'm sitting.

I also use the red light and don't wave it all around to attract attention.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:13 am

I guess however long it takes. Also, just got a reminder the other night about climbing down before the very last minute. 3 hour sit, with 2 minutes of legal light left. Lowering my bow and it tings a climbing stick. Forky bounds across the opening at 10 yards.... Glad it wasn’t the buck I was after, but he could have been behind the forky. Never again.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:57 am

I've not had much more then 45 minutes out. Our spots around here just aren't that big. Some are very thick, though. I use two lights on the way out. A head lamp aims at the ground just in front of me so I don't trip, and a bright hand held searches routes around blow downs and thickets...as well a for fresh sign.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Bowmet

Unread postby Bowmet » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:25 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:I've not had much more then 45 minutes out. Our spots around here just aren't that big. Some are very thick, though. I use two lights on the way out. A head lamp aims at the ground just in front of me so I don't trip, and a bright hand held searches routes around blow downs and thickets...as well a for fresh sign.

Exact same for me, and my handheld is a green light. Having this cuts down on the time it takes to get out and helps me be quieter on the way in. From truck to set up in the tree on morning hunts, it probably takes an average of a little over an hour. This is the case even with short walks because stealth is the priority. Exiting in the evening just changes based on location.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 am

365all_out wrote:Never really got the whole “don’t use a flashlight” deal. I’d agree with the 5min - 2hr window. Always a light on as I like to see where I’m walking. Will turn it off to catch my bearing at times - basically looking for a land mark in the skyline/treetops.

I'm always scared some outlaw will shoot me if I dont have the light on
Make It Happen
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Try not to be in the woods to much after dark. Too spooky for me.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
oldrank wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
oldrank wrote:I use my scouting app to plot my exact path in and out. I also carry a back up compass. I get out quickly.

I use a simple trick if I'm going in somewhere that I can get redirected and end up in a situation where I can walk through briars or water. Toilet paper. It's fast to through a piece up in a tree. I can take it down when I'm coming out. If I miss a piece it biodegrades quickly.

TP is great for those tough blood trails. Drop a piece on a branch over the blood. Easily shows direction of travel and no lost time re-finding last blood.

My time walking out of the woods varies alot but I usually sit on stand until its pitch dark. It seems like I spook less deer then just climbing out of stand at end of legal. If there's a particular spot where I need to make a 90* turn or some specific way to go around an obstacle I'll use a reflective thumbtack at head height on a tree. Those things are super bright in the dark and have saved me alot of heartache over the years.

it sure can save your but in more ways than one

My problem with thumb tacks are they are everywhere. Years ago I used to love them but so many guys have been using them I can't trust my trail.

I always keep one roll of TP in my pack... Way better than dried up oak leafs in an emergency taco purge. Hahaha !!

paper towel folded up in zip lock is even better you can split the sheets for a trail and you get more miles per sheet for other things saves a lot of bulk

https://youtu.be/dP9U7cuzpuY
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am

It's always interesting to hear people say they stay until legal. Here in NY that's sunset. In dark timber that's fine, cant see with a bow anyway, however in swamps or open timber or during rifle season it's basically still broad daylight at "sunset".
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:12 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:It's always interesting to hear people say they stay until legal. Here in NY that's sunset. In dark timber that's fine, cant see with a bow anyway, however in swamps or open timber or during rifle season it's basically still broad daylight at "sunset".

from the amount of shooting i hear after that point you would think that rule never applies.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:23 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:It's always interesting to hear people say they stay until legal. Here in NY that's sunset. In dark timber that's fine, cant see with a bow anyway, however in swamps or open timber or during rifle season it's basically still broad daylight at "sunset".

Interesting, in maine legal is 1/2hr after sunset
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm

EllieTheChubb wrote:

Interesting, in maine legal is 1/2hr after sunset

As it should be, with a decent $150 scope you can see as if it were broad daylight at sunset.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”