How do you build you deer arrow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Scratchman

Re: How do you build you deer arrow?

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 am

bowkill00 wrote:Ideally a heavy arrow is prefered. But the #1 reason hunters miss deer is misjudging the range. I ate my illinois tag this year bc I misjudged my range TWICE. Off 5 yards and bc I was shooting a 500 grain arrow It looked like a rainbow coming outa my bow. I'm going back to a faster, flatter shooting arrow. 400 grain max. Good luck

I have thought this too, but I rarely shoot over 20 yards. I guess the range finder could be pretty important over that.

"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 am

Update on a cane arrow build I have been working on for my traditional bow. I went through Dr. Ashby's literature recently and decided to make a EFOC arrow above 650 grains with a COC broad head. Additional goals was to get near perfect arrow flight with bh. I tuned as Dr. Ashby suggested and used the funny looking A & A pattern. My arrow ended up 950 grains with 27% FOC. I shoot instinctive and have shot that arrow from 50 yards. Fly's like a dart. Can't wait to try it on a critter.

As Dr. Ashby suggests, aboriginal people didn't know or care what FOC stands for. They did know how to be effective killers. Lots of evidence suggest that our ancestors used high FOC arrows that were heavy by our standards. It was enlightening to read about the Papa Guinea natives that shot arrows ranging in weight from 1000 to 4000 grains and 40% FOC. Even more interesting when you consider they did so without using fletchings.

Is my arrow set up overkill for deer? Perhaps. The number one factor influencing game being lost is poor penetration. This is either from bh or shaft damage, poor arrow flight or encountering bone. I look at it like the Beast style of hunting. You scout and address as many variables as you can. Especially the handful that you feel like are the most important. How successful would you be if you ignored playing the wind or scouted recreational?

I have had a good amount of success with a good compound, gold tip arrows and a 100 grain slick trick. Once I swapped to traditional tackle I feel like this heavy arrow high FOC really comes into its own. You trad guys play around with it if you are interested. Raises confidence level when you can shoot bare shaft from 40 yards. Very interesting project.
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:04 am

Scratchman wrote:
bowkill00 wrote:Ideally a heavy arrow is prefered. But the #1 reason hunters miss deer is misjudging the range. I ate my illinois tag this year bc I misjudged my range TWICE. Off 5 yards and bc I was shooting a 500 grain arrow It looked like a rainbow coming outa my bow. I'm going back to a faster, flatter shooting arrow. 400 grain max. Good luck

I have thought this too, but I rarely shoot over 20 yards. I guess the range finder could be pretty important over that.

yes, range finder for sure. how many times are you actually hunting and area where you get 40+ yd shots? for me, I mainly hunt whitetails and public land and 40yds or less I can confidently say is 95% of my set-ups. I range everything when I get in my stand that I can effectively shoot. I just make a mental note. You will still have gaps in your pins whether you shoot 400 or 500 grns. so that really doesn't solve the problem. I really enjoy building my own arrows, and will always error on the side of adding more weight than less. it's science and proven.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am

gunner24 wrote:
Scratchman wrote:

yes, range finder for sure. how many times are you actually hunting and area where you get 40+ yd shots? for me, I mainly hunt whitetails and public land and 40yds or less I can confidently say is 95% of my set-ups. I range everything when I get in my stand that I can effectively shoot. I just make a mental note. You will still have gaps in your pins whether you shoot 400 or 500 grns. so that really doesn't solve the problem. I really enjoy building my own arrows, and will always error on the side of adding more weight than less. it's science and proven.

a light arrow and a heavy arrow at 40 yards are maybe 3 inches apart. i would say a missed shot is a lot of other factors combined. the only thing we can blame a miss on is ourselves. i miss maybe 2 deer out of 4 or 5 i take every year. it happens we put ourselves in a difficult situation with every shot no matter how easy things happen. just like shooting targets some days you will shoot better than others. its threw practice and repetition we get better. i shoot my bow 3 or 4 times a week year round. without all the shooting i do i definitely would have lost alot of opportunities every year had i not been so dialed. and even with all that practice your still shooting a bow and things happen its all just part of the game.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Brand doesn't matter to me, when I get low on shafts I get whatever is onsale. Straightness is also of no concern to me .003 or .006 can't tell no diff. I get a light spined shaft put a 2" footer with a brass insert to both stiffen the spine and make a bomb proof arrow. I then bareshaft and start cutting and adding weight. I like the shaft about 3/4" longer than my draw and usually end up with bout 275-300 gr upfront. Then I put 3x4" shields on it and call it a wrap. Been playing recently with some 5575 2016 game getters with good results and there dirt cheap.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”