Bedding observations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Bedding observations

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:09 am

Buddy and I were hog hunting this weekend
We drive around some and scan the woods and then times we’ll get out in the swamp, woods etc and try to sneak in on them them, whatever we can do.

So we are doing our thing and in this one area we find a massive rub on a pine tree(largest I’ve ever seen in FL) just off into the woods(maybe 30 yards off a two-track). A place I’d never expect to see one or to even look. It stood out so much you couldn’t miss it. It was fresh and well rubbed , even oozing sap

We go into investigate and find 5 others all within 20-30 yards of each other. Then the rest of the pieces come together.

He was laying in a few diff beds that depending on the wind I suppose that put his back right up to a thick watery swamp.
Since his beds were in the pines he had clear view out to the lane and either side. Coupled with thick scrub surrounding the two other sides of the swamp he could get up well before you see him and slink away and you'd be none the wiser.

It was perfect setup

Later on in the day we are working down to another area, and this time (since we were stalking quietly for the hogs) we got writhin 60 yards of another buck and actually saw him rise and slink away.
Inspection found the exact same set up sans the pines. This guy had a few oaks he was bedding under(saw 3 diff beds) instead of pines.

What got me was these were everything I’ve read about on here. And the ‘interesting’ part was these were not in the deepest darkest parts of the swamp. Both place were where humans fairly regularly enter/walk; essentially almost on the trail.
Reminds me of one of Dans story’s where he said he knew the buck was near a parking lot and would watch the hunters walk right by (Dan walked by then doubled backed to kill him). That’ll the key for these spots next year; how to get near them and not be seen or heard

Oh, we didn’t kill any pigs.

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Bedding observations

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:Buddy and I were hog hunting this weekend
We drive around some and scan the woods and then times we’ll get out in the swamp, woods etc and try to sneak in on them them, whatever we can do.

So we are doing our thing and in this one area we find a massive rub on a pine tree(largest I’ve ever seen in FL) just off into the woods(maybe 30 yards off a two-track). A place I’d never expect to see one or to even look. It stood out so much you couldn’t miss it. It was fresh and well rubbed , even oozing sap

We go into investigate and find 5 others all within 20-30 yards of each other. Then the rest of the pieces come together.

He was laying in a few diff beds that depending on the wind I suppose that put his back right up to a thick watery swamp.
Since his beds were in the pines he had clear view out to the lane and either side. Coupled with thick scrub surrounding the two other sides of the swamp he could get up well before you see him and slink away and you'd be none the wiser.

It was perfect setup

Later on in the day we are working down to another area, and this time (since we were stalking quietly for the hogs) we got writhin 60 yards of another buck and actually saw him rise and slink away.
Inspection found the exact same set up sans the pines. This guy had a few oaks he was bedding under(saw 3 diff beds) instead of pines.

What got me was these were everything I’ve read about on here. And the ‘interesting’ part was these were not in the deepest darkest parts of the swamp. Both place were where humans fairly regularly enter/walk; essentially almost on the trail.
Reminds me of one of Dans story’s where he said he knew the buck was near a parking lot and would watch the hunters walk right by (Dan walked by then doubled backed to kill him). That’ll the key for these spots next year; how to get near them and not be seen or heard

Oh, we didn’t kill any pigs.

Sounds like some typical buck bedding, thick to back and open in front. When you throw in the local factors at the site it always makes it interesting, especially if the bedding location is "overlooked."
Divergent
500 Club

Re: Bedding observations

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Being from the south myself, you’ll usually hear everyone say they’re bedding in the middle of the thickets. They actually bed on the edge most of the time. They’ll position themselves close to access routes like atv trails, hiking trails, logging roads etc. I typically find them approximately 20-40 yds off, so they can either visually monitor the trail or use their nose depending on wind and thermals. Me and a buddy have also noticed they tend to bed on the open side in windy weather and inside the thicket(10-20yds)on calmer days. You can find them deep inside a thicket if there’s a terrain feature or opening they can use to their advantage, but typically the pines are too thick until they’re thinned.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”