Bedding use question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BraveHawg

Bedding use question

Unread postby BraveHawg » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:42 pm

New to the board, looked for this subject but didn't see this exact discussion.

I would like to discuss how/when a deer uses a bed. I see a lot of discussion about a buck returning to his "bed" sometimes around daylight, does this mean he's fed all night?? How difficult it is some mornings to get in quiet before they return to bed. How to come in and setup early afternoon and catch them before dark getting out of bed and moving toward food. General statements like these. My question is really how does a deer (buck) use a bed or beds in a 24 hr period of time. If we start with the premise that it gets daylight at 6AM and dark at 6PM (non-rut) how/when will a buck use his bed or beds. I would enjoy reading your thoughts and see if there is a consensus on this use.

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Bedding use question

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:58 pm

My observations are that deer rarely spend more than a few hours laying in the same exact spot but keep their movement confined to the area that they feel secure during daylight.
I see them alternate between browsing and chewing their cud both during the day and night.
Night beds are sometimes closer to the food source in less secure locations than daytime bedding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 am

If we are talking outside of rut, a buck arrives at his 1st bed between 2 hours before daylight to an hour after, most of the time prior from my observations. He comes into his bed from down wind. Then he shifts around during the day based on wind / thermal changes. Most of the time its little movements of a few yards, occasionally its bigger movements. In the evening he gets up between 3 hours before dark and dark and heads out on the heavy trails leading from bedding. He moves very slow and stays near the bedding area till dark.
Northbound

Unread postby Northbound » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:41 am

So is there a way to determine night time cud chewing beds from daytime beds? I'm brand new here maybe this is covered elsewhere.
This mostly relates to big woods hunting as farm land I shine cud chewing beds in wide open at night. Big woods however where I struggle to determine food sources in first place makes extra difficult to narrow down daylight beds

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”