Transporting A Deer Without A Truck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tamerdistress

Transporting A Deer Without A Truck

Unread postby tamerdistress » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:32 am

I’m sure this topic gets asked at least 3850274 times a month. I’ve looked through all kinds of forums about this and I’m getting answers, but to me some answers are also useless. The coming 2019 season, I will be hunting for the first time. The issue: I don’t own a truck or have access to one via family or friends. I own a 2013 Honda Fit that’s NOT rated to tow anything. I’ve thought about layering down tarps in my hatch and wrapping the deer up and shoving it in there. If it doesn’t fit that way, I can lay my back seats down completely flat. My fiancé insists that a deer would not fit in my hatch back and accommodate our bows, backpacks, a 3 person blind and a 2 person blind. (I know we won’t get our tree stands in there). I’ve seen people with Nissan Rogues, Explorers, Edges and the equivalent shove a deer in the hatch, but has anyone used a Honda Fit or equivalent? My hatchback offers 20.6 cubic feet (in inches the measurements are 165”L x 67”W x 60”H) with the backseats up and 57.3 cubic feet with the back seats down. I’d be interested to hear opinions on if I could fit a deer or if I should explore other options. I’ve seen hunters come up with some crazy ways to transport their kill.

mag1
500 Club

Re: Transporting A Deer Without A Truck

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:39 am

I just did a quick search, there is a hitch for the fit. I’m not sure if the year, so I put in a 2016. Tounge weight is only 200lbs, so a hitch haul and small deer might work, or one of those small 4’x4’ harbor freight trailers could possibly work.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2016_Honda_Fit.htm

Can you put the rear seats down, use a tarp. Maybe a rack system on top, strap bow cases to that? Just brainstorming here.

Sorry I didn’t pay as good attention to your post the first tome I read it.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 am

If it's a smaller deer, you can do it. I got a 1.5 yr old spike in the trunk of a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix with a subwoofer box in it. Just layed down a layer of plastic and not blood was spilled.

Other options are to use the gutless method to quarter up the deer and pack just the meat out.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 am

Just went back to recheck for the 2013. 3 options, one hitch is a 2” so you could use most bike racks/hitch hauls.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2013_Honda_Fit.htm

I went with the 2” on my cr-v. Hitch haul works great.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 am

Honda fit with the seats down would be spacious for all but a buck with some serious headgear. My 1st car was a dodge neon and it hauled quite a few deer to the tagging station.

Its a little tough some times if they stiffen up but still very doable
Just make sure you wrap that tarp up around the deer dont lay it flat
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:17 am

i saw a 300 pound bear in the trunk of a honda civic at the check station one year it was quite the sight too see.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:17 am

I’m sure a deer will fit but think the hitch with a rack is a better option. You can find luggage/ cooler racks fairly cheap. Plus you won’t ruin anything in the car. My buddy used to hunt elk in a Fit. It was awesome. Good luck to you.
tamerdistress

Unread postby tamerdistress » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:34 am

mag1 wrote:Can you put the rear seats down, use a tarp. Maybe a rack system on top, strap bow cases to that? Just brainstorming here.

I though about putting a cargo rack on top with a Cabela’s soft rooftop carrier (37”W x 45”L x 14”H-ish) and stuffing some of our gear in there. I have a Plano bulky case for my bow, my fiancé doesn’t have a case at all. I could try to get at least one of our bows in that somehow. I’ll look more into a lift gate, I know my max load is 850 lbs. Worst case scenario is he has to take the bows in his BMW 335i and my car can take everything else and do the dirty work lol
tamerdistress

Unread postby tamerdistress » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 am

camelcluch wrote:I’m sure a deer will fit but think the hitch with a rack is a better option. You can find luggage/ cooler racks fairly cheap. Plus you won’t ruin anything in the car. My buddy used to hunt elk in a Fit. It was awesome. Good luck to you.

Wow I never thought a Fit could take on elk hunting! Racks I’m definitely considering, my big thing was not ruining my car. I’ve had it for 6 years and just had my first issue where a caliper seized and dug into my rotor.
tamerdistress

Unread postby tamerdistress » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 am

Ladykiller wrote:If it's a smaller deer, you can do it. I got a 1.5 yr old spike in the trunk of a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix with a subwoofer box in it. Just layed down a layer of plastic and not blood was spilled.

Other options are to use the gutless method to quarter up the deer and pack just the meat out.

The tarp is going to always be an option, even if I decide to get a rack. I just hope when we both go out only one of us get a deer at a time. I’d end up deep cleaning my hatch afterwards for blood or bits of meat and hair.
tamerdistress

Unread postby tamerdistress » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:43 am

ghoasthunter wrote:i saw a 300 pound bear in the trunk of a honda civic at the check station one year it was quite the sight too see.

I told my family if all else fails, we will strap the deer to the roof lol I bet that sight gave everyone a good laugh
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:24 am

Tie to roof and drive by the Peta building real slow. :lol:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:40 am

adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 am

I hauled a 215lb dressed buck with 160 inches of antler on his head in the backseat of a 2010 Hyundai elantra with a bunch of drop clothes. Anything is possible.

Nobody thinks "bowhunter" when they see a little Hyundai parked along the side of the road.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 am

Just make it work!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”