Back tension for hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Back tension for hunting?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:55 am

When I shot a compound I tried a back tension release and couldn't stand it. Worked fine in the backyard shooting stationary targets but in a hunting situation when I needed to get off a quick shot I found it to slow or I would end up punching that. For me a consistent rythym helps me the most. Holding for 20 seconds one shot then 5 the next was bad for me. I try to only be at full draw for 2 seconds I pick my spot b4 I ever draw then through repetition everything just works out with no thought involved. Times when I have thoughts in head while at full draw I no I'm going to have problems

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:15 am

Boogieman1 wrote:When I shot a compound I tried a back tension release and couldn't stand it. Worked fine in the backyard shooting stationary targets but in a hunting situation when I needed to get off a quick shot I found it to slow or I would end up punching that. For me a consistent rythym helps me the most. Holding for 20 seconds one shot then 5 the next was bad for me. I try to only be at full draw for 2 seconds I pick my spot b4 I ever draw then through repetition everything just works out with no thought involved. Times when I have thoughts in head while at full draw I no I'm going to have problems

If your having timing issues there's something wrong form wise. Once you set up and anchor it should always go off in a timely manner. Backyard flat ground vs treestand bending only from the waist to keep your form. If you just drop your arm your done trying to get a back tension to fire.
Just some thoughts for ya
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:51 am

Generally what I have seen from guys with target panic, first hand observations, is they are over bowed. Either too heavy draw weight or too long draw length. They can't get their bow arm up and steady on target and rather settle the pin below the impact point and yank it up at the shot. I don't have any experience with back tension releases, but from the videos I've seen, I feel like for me I would have major anxiety waiting on the thing to go off. From what I've learned and read, my shot process is not the norm, but it's very efficient and has worked for me without fail.
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 am

I'm no expert but if your having trouble getting the release to fire your more than likely collapsing on the front arm letting the arm push back into the shoulder, I know that I suffered with this it feels like your pulling the limb bolts out but the thing will not fire. Watch the nock on videos on YouTube as some of the other guys recommended, you just need to put some time in
RiverRun

Unread postby RiverRun » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 am

Man, I love a hinge release for deer hunting. The main reason i made the switch to solely a hinge release is as soon as I see brown in my sight picture, I want to release the arrow (target panic.) This only happens on deer. As soon as I switched over from the handheld thumb release, my angst fell and my confidence rose! My good shots rose immediately, and I have not looked back since. With this said, I see problems shooting with moving targets or deer during the rut. I can still make the shot go off if needed, but have only done so very few times. Besides that I love it!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”