In the maple forest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Alexhei

In the maple forest

Unread postby Alexhei » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 am

Was out hunting and found a ton of tracks and pawing of the ground in a maple bush. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before? Don’t know what they were eating..

EllieTheChubb

Re: In the maple forest

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:21 am

Not sure why they would be pawing the ground but deer love to browse on maple tips.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:22 am

Should be pretty obvious what they were eating. Go back and look what was browsed. My guess would be grass/forbs or ferns. I see all those a lot in maple woods.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:45 am

I would say they are eating the Maple leaves. This time of year, around here, they seem to prefer leaves from Maples, Hedge and bush Honeysuckle.
gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:19 am

My guess is what others have said. some kind of browse or possibly even the maple leaves. I've thought I read somewhere Dan talks about when the deer go through a maple leaf phase. My guess is this is when they first start dropping off the trees in the fall when they are fresh off the tree. Not sure if they go for them when they have been on the ground for months? Dan any insight on this? I guess I'm curious to hear more on the maple leaves as well as I have a maple grove tucked along side a bedding area I like to hunt. When is the best time to hunt maples?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 am

my area deer are digging fern roots mushrooms and way myrtle. they are browsing on maple buds and rhododendron buds and eating there leaves along with mountain laurel leaves.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Alexhei

Unread postby Alexhei » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info.. guess I’ll go back and have a look!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 am

I agree with them eating maple leaves. I've watched them with my own eyes eat the leaves. This year in north east ohio we had really warm temps late into the fall, later than normal anyway. Also we have had lots of rain that is way above average. Most of the trees including maple held their leaves much later into the year. They really didnt go through the bright color phase for several weeks then fall off. They started to change then all fell off in a big wind storm. Trees that normally let their leaves off in October were still holding on in the beginning of december. So in my neck of the woods there was lots of natural browse late into the season.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”