Scent control

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Paca

Scent control

Unread postby Paca » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:33 am

I had a recent chat with a guy who owns a police k9 training facility in Indiana. Apparently his kennel is a top kennel for law enforcement dogs in the world. We got talking about scent. He said the only think that actually eliminates scent is uv light. Different surfaces retain scent differently. Similar to a deer, attempting to mask or eliminate scent is a complete waste of time.
His analogy on how dogs smell is a stew. When we cook a stew, we just smell stew. A dog, or deer, smells individual ingredients in that stew.
I’ve read that about deer, as well. They are able to smell multiple things at the same time, where we just smell the strongest odor, and nothing more.
I have almost given up on scent control, and play the wind.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Scent control

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:40 am

Ozone works... Of course, high-intensity exposure has been sort of liked to cancer as well.... So there's that. I don't know about UV light. Certain kinds of high-intensity UV can kill some strains of bacteria, but if you were slow cooking some BBQ in your hunting clothes they're still going to smell like brisket no matter how much UV you hit them with.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Mmmm.... brisket.
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself." - Groucho Marx
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Paca wrote:I had a recent chat with a guy who owns a police k9 training facility in Indiana. Apparently his kennel is a top kennel for law enforcement dogs in the world. We got talking about scent. He said the only think that actually eliminates scent is uv light. Different surfaces retain scent differently. Similar to a deer, attempting to mask or eliminate scent is a complete waste of time.
His analogy on how dogs smell is a stew. When we cook a stew, we just smell stew. A dog, or deer, smells individual ingredients in that stew.
I’ve read that about deer, as well. They are able to smell multiple things at the same time, where we just smell the strongest odor, and nothing more.
I havealmost given up on scent control, and play the wind.

Then you are almost there :lol: :lol:

Return to “Deer Hunting”