Always deer hunting.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Itchy Bones

Always deer hunting.

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:04 pm

I am always deer hunting. When I pass through the front door of my house and anticipate the wind direction and how it might act at certain spots I am deciding on a spot or which buck to go after. I try to leave the house plenty early so I can drive slowly to my parking destination, deliberately chosen to not alert deer that may be watching access or bedded in the open during pre dawn hours. When I'm climbing a tree, I do it silent AND hidden by the tree trunk. I do not draw my bow once I'm sitting in the stand and I try not to glass too much because I don't want to be busted moving around. I am defiantly not looking at my phone or a book. On my way to and from work I'll choose routes that take me past places that I need to learn from. The same applies for weekend errands, I will leave the house at dusk or dawn and take whatever route allows me the opportunity to observe. I scout with boots on the ground winter, summer, spring, fall and even in season. Turkey hunting = scouting, walk in the park with kiddos = scouting, walk with pregnant girlfriend= scouting, interesting job site= scouting. I've let friendships, girlfriends, jobs, and other hobbies die or walk away because I couldn't afford less time invested in all things deer related. Christ I don't even fish anymore, I'm working on that! I have left a trail of new archers in my wake anticipating a phone call to shoot, scout, or of their first success. I have struck up casual friendships with rich farmers, poor widows, rich widows, greedy game hogs, and good Ol' boys, just stopping by to ask to bow hunt and staying in touch. For all of this I don't have much to show for a payoff, its not really about a payoff, Its just how I choose to spend my time. I got a nice buck this year (Sept) and shot a great big mature doe dec. 22 this year, it was pretty good. My youngest boy turns 4 on new years eve and he wants fresh venison tenderloins cooked by Dad for his birthday dinner. With a little luck It could be a running tradition.

Lockdown

Re: Always deer hunting.

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:21 pm

It is an addiction, no doubt. I constantly find myself looking for bedding while driving down the road.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:10 am

I think it has been brought up jokingly a few times that some of scout from air planes on are way to and from vacation destinations or business travel. Not that I plan to ever hunt these areas but sometimes you just can't help but look out that window and pick out potential bedding areas. 8-)
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:35 am

My wife always says speed up why are you driving so slow on the backroads... it’s because I want to see a buck lurking somewhere lol
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:06 am

What the OP describes is a way of life. Not a passing hobby. This forum probably has more people who actually LIVE deer hunting than see it as a sport or hobby. This is the best group of deer hunters on the web, IMHO. That is one of the things that drew me here. :romance-grouphug:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:50 am

headgear wrote:I think it has been brought up jokingly a few times that some of scout from air planes on are way to and from vacation destinations or business travel. Not that I plan to ever hunt these areas but sometimes you just can't help but look out that window and pick out potential bedding areas. 8-)

I did this in Canada by float plane. Didn’t see any deer but did see a bedded moose in the middle of a huge swamp about 150 miles from civilization. Easy to see when your skimming the tops of trees. :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Lockdown wrote:It is an addiction, no doubt. I constantly find myself looking for bedding while driving down the road.

This ^
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:55 pm

I sitting here right now with small ambers burning in me to walk out two 40 acres thickets. They are about 15 year old cut overs. I know deer are bedding in there but they are just now getting big enough to hunt. I am going to grid walk them to end to see what is there. Just waiting on deer season to end. I know there is some good info in those thickets. Will help with some missing links that I need to answer some questions.

Funny thing is nobody at farm will go with me. But, they sure will want to trail along behind me when its game time. I be quiet now. Don't want to get started. :oops:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Mossyhorns wrote:My wife always says speed up why are you driving so slow on the backroads... it’s because I want to see a buck lurking somewhere lol

:lol: :lol: My wife always asks if I want her to drive so I can window scout :lol: :lol: So I (jokingly) reply, "HECK NO! I cant see anything at your rate of speed!!"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:52 pm

backstraps wrote:
Mossyhorns wrote:My wife always says speed up why are you driving so slow on the backroads... it’s because I want to see a buck lurking somewhere lol

:lol: :lol: My wife always asks if I want her to drive so I can window scout :lol: :lol: So I (jokingly) reply, "HECK NO! I cant see anything at your rate of speed!!"

I'm always getting yelled at to get back on my side of the road because my eyes are everywhere but on the road. Also been told I drive like an old farmer checking his crops. :lol:
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:06 am

I can totally relate to this. OnX is always up on my computer. I'm constantly driving different back roads when going places. I literally think about it every day all year round.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:17 pm

I live 1.5 hrs from where I work. It is the true Vermont definition of you can't get there from here. It doesn't matter which way you go back roads, mountains, highways....the time is all the same. So I pick the best deer routes and leave just pre dawn. On the way home I have dozens of places to pop off for a cam or a quick scout...........and that is just the ride to and from work................
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:34 pm

There are many dirt roads and gravel roads in my area and I will stop , back up, and get out to look at tracks. I never see anyone else in my area do this.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm

There is no other hunting.

No turkey, not ducks or geese, not small game.

The whitetail deer has everything.

I would probably enjoy an archery elk hunt and I will admit a kodiak bear with my bow is atop my bucket list but I am in love with deer. I am just like you. Always on my mind.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Dewey wrote:
backstraps wrote:

I'm always getting yelled at to get back on my side of the road because my eyes are everywhere but on the road. Also been told I drive like an old farmer checking his crops. :lol:

Ditto! I hear the farmer thing all the time!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”