Best Time Period For Buck Movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Greenlee865

Best Time Period For Buck Movement

Unread postby Greenlee865 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 am

I’ve wanted to discuss this for a while, so why not now while I’m perched in the tree. So, when I was still in grade school and had less responsibilities and more time to hunt, I seemed to notice something on the private ground we hunt. I grew up hunting the usual 4-5 hours in the morning and 3-4 in the evening. Well back then I spent far more days in a tree than now. From the experience I gathered in the woods I noticed most does I would see and shoot would be on the morning hunts, while most of the bucks I would see or shoot (younger ones still yet to shoot a 3yr+) would be early evenings. I knew the area I was hunting was good, I seen deer, old sign, and fresh sign. Back then I would tell my dad all the time we needed to hunt the middle of the day more. Well, we never really got into to trying that much. Recently though I have started staying later. This year we set out a trail camera that we’ve constantly monitored the same place over several months. The info this camera captured only helped to prove my theory. Now you still have your stragglers, and the does tend to move all throughout the day, but of the buck photos, a high majority are between 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. So, here there seems to be a magic 5 hour window from late morning into the afternoon. From what y’all have gathered and studied in your areas. What time of day do you find your peak buck movement?

Jdw

Re: Best Time Period For Buck Movement

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:40 am

IMO it has a lot to do with the time of year and amount of pressure.
I see the most mid morning through early afternoon movement when bucks are cruising between bedding areas looking for does.

The mature bucks around here are the last deer out and the first ones back to the bedding area the rest of the year.
With the exception that cold snowy weather will get them out early.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:12 am

My observations are bucks are on their feet the most from 0830-1130, at least during the rut.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 am

It probably depends on a lot of factors but during the rut, 8-noon has been my most experience. All other times the last hour seems to be the most action I've seen... in person and on camera. During daylight hours anyway lol
Make It Happen
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:59 am

Last time I saw the buck I was chasing this year he was bedded at dawn then got up at 7:45AM following a doe.
December 8th
Greenlee865

Unread postby Greenlee865 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:03 am

No doubt there will always be many variables in a noncontrolled environment. Even something as little as the specific location of the observations taking place. I went through about 9000 photos all together (does,bucks,other wildlife) from August through the end of November. When the bucks did move through this location it was a pretty consistent 4 hour time frame from late morning to early afternoon from the late summer velvet stages through the rut. I thought it was pretty neat to find that location stay so consistent most of the season.

Return to “Deer Hunting”