Logging impact on travel routes?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Logging impact on travel routes?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 am

For anyone who has hunted properties that have been logged, how did that impact the deer. One area I hunt that is 1600 acres that is actually about 400 acres of various wood lots interconnected with around 1200 acres of ag fields is being logged. This apparently something they do every 20 years.

Should I expect major dislocations of deer or just changed in travel routes for new food sources that should open up?

Or...is it just one of those wait and see what happens type deals?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Re: Logging impact on travel routes?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:28 am

I hunt a property that had at least 20 acres completely logged about 5 years ago. The first year was rough. Barely any cover for any animal. The second year up until now have been very good. Its amazing how nature bounces back. There is tons of cover now. Alot of super thick briar patches and the new growth has created a sweet edge along the uncut hardwoods where deer are traveling along. This has been a go-to spot for me during the rut because bucks have been cruising along that edge scent checking the thickets. Basically the 20 acre section is a massive bedding area now. I hope this gives you an idea.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:49 am

The portion of my land that is woods is 39 acres. I had it select harvest a while back during those couple years it was business as usual for the Deer. I even had a 190” buck living on my property and it didn’t phase him he stuck around and moved at night. If anything it probably helps especially in following years. But if there are Deer runs that get blocked by tops that could be an issue but it could also help. After the flooding this summer I had some monster trees fall in my valley. The deer we’re using multiple trails before now they have one option and it’s obvious. So something like that could narrow Deer down to a man made funnel and benefit you also
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 am

FWIW - I've only been involved with 2 folks who have hunted land stripped clear of trees.

First was a guy about 15 yrs back. He was amazed to see shooter-sized bucks just walking the same trail they did before the trees were cut. Assume 120-30 class deer.

2nd is a lady I work with - they had some nice bucks on cam this summer. Then the lumber co shows up and logs for about 2 months. 2nd hunt she shot a whopper. 3rd hunt her hubby shot a big one with extremely long tines - made a bad shot and lost the buck. The deer came from the neighbor's and crossed open ground, following old trails. 130-140 class deer.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:27 pm

I guess its a mixed bag. But putting the hair covered computer to work should uncover an advantage or two.

For example, a new logging road was in a hunting area this season. First hunt, I had deer movement crossing the road but I was far enough away to not see exact cross. Now, second hunt I stood on that road and really LOOKED. What is an advantage? Where will they cross? Are there any tracks showing a preference?

Most of the downed trees were on one side of road and limited the crossing spots SIGNIFICANTLY. I was able to hunt that location strategically, in the best spot by thinking it through. Next season that advantage will probably be gone. But I was happy with doing the best I could at the time.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:04 pm

When our hunting property was logged we were devastated. We were wrong, 2 years later deer absolutely love it. Travel routes were definitely changed but new ones were established and they treat it like a food plot. The only negative is lack of trees to hunt from...
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Depending on the logging operation it may be good now or take several years to regen growth deer are confortable in year round...if you know deer that is easy to assess based on sign.

Depending on about 500 different factors logging is never bad but will the benefit will peak sometime in the next decade and a half. It's a long term play for sure but especially with clear cuts when they go cold, they go very cold.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:49 am

I've shot mature bucks in clearcuts before, but as mentioned lots of factors come into play but they will be out in the open if they really want to be in that area. I have far more luck with remote/hard to access clearcuts vs the pressured kind off a road or trail.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:45 am

As alot of guys have said the regen will draw them in for food and cover. Depending on how substantial the cut was the deer will move off for a few years.

My neighbor just did a "wildlife cut" this summer. they left all the mature oaks and hemlocks and seemingly random swaths of younger trees (small pine thickets and maple whips) What I saw this year was fewer deer. I do see deer right in the middle of the cut from time to time but less in the adjacent fields at night. I would say next year will probably normalize and the following years will see a boost in population when the softwoods start growing.
Too bad I cant hunt there...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:52 am

At this property, they have started cutting already, has anyone ever had his happen and found that it helped to stack other areas with the deer from the area they started in?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:08 am

Just a thought, but if they're cutting now, when those saws stoot in the evening, it's like someone ringing a dinner bell. At least in bifwoods scenarios. All those tops on the ground represent easy pickens. :whistle:
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Where my cabin is , the county is cutting like crazy. The deer walk the same trails as always.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:34 pm

The buck I killed last year they were actively logging about 150 to the north of where I hunt. I went back in there this year and saw another shooter in the same spot.

It really grew up this year and there were big trails skirting it. And I'm sure all the new growth was a good food source Since this spot I would say is big woods with some oaks. And by next year I'm sure it will be great bedding cover.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”