Post-Season Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Post-Season Bedding

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:29 am

Already planning my post-season scouting trips. As I’m new to beast-style hunting, I was wondering what do I do when I find more active buck beds? Do I remember those for next late season or will they be there early season, as well? I’m hunting hill country.

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
KPnorthdakota

Re: Post-Season Bedding

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:19 am

funderburk wrote:Already planning my post-season scouting trips. As I’m new to beast-style hunting, I was wondering what do I do when I find more active buck beds? Do I remember those for next late season or will they be there early season, as well? I’m hunting hill country.

I’m doing the same thing and will be marking them down for next year late season. The lack of seeing bucks right now in their normal places makes me think they’ve moved to different beds. It could be that they’re just moving less. I’m not sure, yet.
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:34 pm

I've been finding beds (both buck and doe) closer to food sources than normal. Almost like early season when there is no pressure and they bed close to food.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:13 pm

timberninja wrote:I've been finding beds (both buck and doe) closer to food sources than normal. Almost like early season when there is no pressure and they bed close to food.

What food sources do you have there? All my known food sources are at crops and they’re gone. I can only assume they’re traveling long distances or moved to those food sources rather there’s some natural browse that I’m unaware of.

What are you seeing where you are?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:31 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:
funderburk wrote:Already planning my post-season scouting trips. As I’m new to beast-style hunting, I was wondering what do I do when I find more active buck beds? Do I remember those for next late season or will they be there early season, as well? I’m hunting hill country.

I’m doing the same thing and will be marking them down for next year late season. The lack of seeing bucks right now in their normal places makes me think they’ve moved to different beds. It could be that they’re just moving less. I’m not sure, yet.

In SC, I’m finding them more in the thick, nasty stuff rather than their leeward ridge bedding. So, I’m wondering if the beds I’m still finding on the ridges that may be abandoned currently might be my 2019 Oct-Nov sets??
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:33 am

timberninja wrote:I've been finding beds (both buck and doe) closer to food sources than normal. Almost like early season when there is no pressure and they bed close to food.

Same. Seems more concentrated in the thick stuff.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:30 am

funderburk wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

In SC, I’m finding them more in the thick, nasty stuff rather than their leeward ridge bedding. So, I’m wondering if the beds I’m still finding on the ridges that may be abandoned currently might be my 2019 Oct-Nov sets??

That’s what I would think.
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:46 pm

The Minnesota DNR was nice enough to plant soy beans on some public land and leave them for the winter. It's a gold mine for deer right now with the cold temps and snow cover. The most recent beds I have been finding are actually right on the edge of the bean field where they can look out across the entire field with woods to their back. The beds are wind dependent but all along the perimeter of the field.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:55 pm

They can be there early but there is no one answer for that question. There is a lot of factors that influence whether or not they will be there. Best advice I can give ya on that is do mark them and then look at the rubs coming out of those bedding areas. Slip back through there checking on either those rub lines or areas where they cross aya a ditch or creek that you can read their tracks, when you see that sign hunt it. That’s why so much more goes into scouting for beds. There is a much bigger process or at least to me there is.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:

They can be there early but there is no one answer for that question. There is a lot of factors that influence whether or not they will be there. Best advice I can give ya on that is do mark them and then look at the rubs coming out of those bedding areas. Slip back through there checking on either those rub lines or areas where they cross aya a ditch or creek that you can read their tracks, when you see that sign hunt it. That’s why so much more goes into scouting for beds. There is a much bigger process or at least to me there is.

Solid advice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”