peeing in a mock scrape???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adudeuknow

Re: peeing in a mock scrape???

Unread postby adudeuknow » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:22 pm

I never bought into scents. Watched "wind pro" which is now called scrape fix work on mature booner midwest bucks. With my own eyes.

Good stuff in my opinion. Never thought I'd say that about anything synthetic.

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Guess my question is to anyone who opens a scrape and peed in it and claims it the cats meow. have u ever tried it without doing squat other than kicking back the dirt? I Once thought gel scent was the bees knees until I did the exact samething without jack squat. Sometimes we reach conclusions for the wrong reasons IMO. Same thing with scent control, a man drops some serious coin on a Harry Houdini magic suit and sees a deer downwind and says to himself yes sir deff worth it. Meanwhile a guy wearing some sweat starched clothes hes worn everyday for the past month unwashed gets the same results. Sometimes we just see what we want to.

This right here! You get an A + lol. I couldn’t have said it any better
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:30 pm

I joked about it last year saying I could hang a Barbie from the overhanging branch of one of my mock scrapes and all the bucks would hit it. I forgot I said that till later in the season but I did do it around mid nov. I said the first buck to hit it is getting named Ken. I now have a big wide 8 named Ken if he made it through gun season. I took it down cause it was within sight of neighbors lol for gun season. Next year if I don’t forget il hang it at start of season. Point is you don’t need fancy scents or anything. One of my mock scrapes this year I needed an over hanging branch in a certain spot and didn’t have my rope with so I gut off a piece of my cord from what I use to pull my weapon up the tree and tied a branch that dangles from a higher branch on the tree and they have been killing it since. No scents below on anything ever. I makevthem for constant inventory throughout season
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Peeing in scrapes is just a waste of good squirrel ammo... I have never seen human urine spook deer, but they do successfully use wolf urine to keep deer away from gardens and such. Which tells me they can smell the difference. Meat eater urine does smell different than vegetarian urine. Any trapper can tell you how strong coyote and fox urine smells. Same with us if we have a lot of meat in our diet. But with that said, I have seen deer around spots I urinated at and never saw negative actions from the deer cause of the urine. In most cases the human scent of you being there is 100 times more alarming. As far as it attracting deer to scrapes. I think it makes no difference. They will come work the scrape if you just make it bare dirt.

I do think the whole "mock scrape" thing is a lot like hunting over rubs or other hunter traps that generate you just enough action with small bucks and night time that you keep going back and suddenly its the end of the season and your deerless or shooting small animals. Want to get the big boys? go hunt them down instead of trying to trick them. Mature bucks know better.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:57 pm

dan wrote:Peeing in scrapes is just a waste of good squirrel ammo... I have never seen human urine spook deer, but they do successfully use wolf urine to keep deer away from gardens and such. Which tells me they can smell the difference. Meat eater urine does smell different than vegetarian urine. Any trapper can tell you how strong coyote and fox urine smells. Same with us if we have a lot of meat in our diet. But with that said, I have seen deer around spots I urinated at and never saw negative actions from the deer cause of the urine. In most cases the human scent of you being there is 100 times more alarming. As far as it attracting deer to scrapes. I think it makes no difference. They will come work the scrape if you just make it bare dirt.

I do think the whole "mock scrape" thing is a lot like hunting over rubs or other hunter traps that generate you just enough action with small bucks and night time that you keep going back and suddenly its the end of the season and your deerless or shooting small animals. Want to get the big boys? go hunt them down instead of trying to trick them. Mature bucks know better.
I agree, that’s why I use em for inventory. Stuff like that strings a hunter along
adudeuknow

Unread postby adudeuknow » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 am

i rarely hunt scrapes but like a few have mentioned, they are great for the trail camera and taking inventory.
"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me."

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”