What makes for a good oxbow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

What makes for a good oxbow?

Unread postby JonNc » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:25 am

As I'm planning my post season scouting via maps, I'm trying to narrow down where my focus should be. Some spots I have picked out to scout are oxbows, but what makes for a good oxbow where they feel safe and comfortable vs feeling trapped with water on 3 sides? How deep the water is, how wide the oxbow is, etc?

Thanks!

KPnorthdakota

Re: What makes for a good oxbow?

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:45 am

I’m planning on hunting a spur above an oxbow and then moving to the oxbow if there is no activity on the spur. My understanding of a good oxbow is that it has water and clearing on three sides with good cover on the oxbow for the deer to bed.

The one I’m hunting has water on three sides and the oxbow is decent size with CRP type brush, etc. on it. This specific oxbow would be great for Southerly winds. It also has another oxbow immediately next to it that would cover for Northerly winds and is similarly sized with the same type of cover.

I’m waiting for the fog to lift before I go out there as I’ve never had good hunting in heavy fog.
Swampmonsters

Unread postby Swampmonsters » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:23 pm

This is the first year I've hunted an oxbow. I sat there twice not wanting to apply to much pressure and seen numerous bucks come off it, one nice buck. It is a sizable oxbow in that it is 100 yards deep and probably 80 yards wide. It is wooded with grassy patches that opens up into marsh. Some of the reading I've done makes it sound like the more narrow the oxbow the better in that it's easier to see predators enter. So I'm not exactly sure if it's the better bedding around or the oxbow holding the deer. Who knows probably both :D. Definitly plan on scouting a few more like spots.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:14 pm

I only know of 2. Both have: shallow river crossings as escape routes (1-2’ deep), habitat edge within them, mixed between open and thick, and vantage points. Seen bucks bed, back to river with a crosswind coming from typical access, and facing river with wind to back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”