Have you ever had success on one of these dates?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Have you ever had success on one of these dates?

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 am

I've been archery hunting and spending time in the woods for over 20 years now and something I've noticed is that every so often, there will be a day where animals just seemed to be moving like crazy. Over the years, I can think back to 3 specific dates where I saw bucks and other critters moving like crazy in the evenings;

October 8, 2010 (saw a ton of deer including a mature buck I couldn't get a shot at and also shot a coyote)
October 9, 2014 (saw a ton of deer and shot a mature buck at 6:30pm)
October 8, 2016 (shot a mature buck at 6:15pm)

It wasn't just me though either. After the hunt when talking with my buddies, multiple different people in different areas saw lots of movement & got shots on those dates. It's making me wonder if there's a common denominator that can be identified and maybe used to predict days that should be awesome in the future. The only thing I can think of that may have some type of universal influence would be the moon.

Does anyone have old moon guides that they could look to see what position the moon was in on those dates? Can anyone else recall having excellent movements on those particular dates?

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Have you ever had success on one of these dates?

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 am

I killed my best WV bow buck on Oct 7th 2014.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 am

People that SELL moon calendars will tell you it’s the moon every time. I would say it’s a confluence of factors including weather (past, present, future), food, etc.

I have noticed the same things as you where some days just seem magical in the woods. For me those days are so few and far between, not sure I could ever predict them.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:54 am

Early Oct is a sweet time

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”