Let talk WIND

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Let talk WIND

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 am

I would love to hear how you guys hunt the wind.

I mean I have so many thoughts on the subject and don’t want to bog the topic down all at once

So let me start with a scenario. Lets assume youre out of state hunting public. Last several days have had very inconsistent wind patterns. No two days the same.

Forecast is calling for winds to change throughout the day several times. For example
Noon: west winds
3pm sw winds
6pm south winds
Dark se winds

How do you guys try to build a plan around that?

I am also curious, do you feel like several days on end of changing wind patterns effect mature buck movement?

Crazinamatese

Re: Let talk WIND

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:22 am

With those kind of erratic wind shifts I would assume some sort of weather system is quickly vacating the area or a warm front is rising from the south since winds are shifting from westerly to south easterly. I would wait for the wind to become predominate then decide from there. Maybe wait for the cold front to push thru then set up on the northwest wind that follows.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:25 am

I feel the more days I can get in a row of the same wind the better I can line up on em. In the example u mentioned if it's a sunny day in hill country I would say screw the wind in the morning and just hunt the thermal. If I didn't connect by late morning and didn't see good movement I would try to get ahead of the next wind switch and try to catch em relocating. Would position myself in a way at all possible to hunt both the new wind and the late eve thermal and sit the remainder of day.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 pm

I have grown to like a website that supports wind surfers and sailors called Windfinder. The reason I like it is you can view wind flow via animated arrows. These arrows show over a map that can be zoomed in or out. Also, you can forward the time line ahead in three hour increments. This is important because it allows you to see the entire weather system and see where it is moving through the area.

I did a hunt four days ago and all the Apps I checked said "light and variable". I went on Windfinder and I saw that at the end of the afternoon the wind would settle into an easterly flow because of the way the whole system was moving. Well, turns out that is exactly what happened.

I still cross check multiple sources, but windfinder helps me understand better because it is more dynamic than most Apps.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:46 pm

If the wind is 8-10 or less I would set up for the thermals and make at least one move during the day.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Thaks for the replies guy

Yalls plams of attack sounds like what I have been attempting to do. The winds locally have been terrible this entire season

Crazy thing is, it seems like we now have the wind of another state or something

We are typically in a pattern of w-nw and n winds by now

Sure makes hunting hard when I have scouted immensely for the wind based beds over the last few years

We are now looking like to be settling into a westly wind pattern for the next several days...i cannot remember even a 3 day stretch of consistent wind pattern since season began in late Sept

Just odd having all these off winds, even when cooler temps are coming in

Also I use windfinder and like it a lot. I bat about 50% accuracy here locally

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”