Late season Central Ohio

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck-2725

Late season Central Ohio

Unread postby Chuck-2725 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Im in farmland country and haven't hunted the late season too much yet. This year I've still got a buck tag and was wondering if you central Ohio or farmland guys got any tips on how to get on those hard to get late season brutes?

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Late season Central Ohio

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:28 pm

Here is my .02 Find an area where a buck feels secure after gun season. Find a good consistent food source. Wait for snow and the coldest temperatures. Hunt it from mid day until dark and try not to scare anything on the way in. Does May be bedding on the edge of the food source.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:05 am

Jdw wrote:Here is my .02 Find an area where a buck feels secure after gun season. Find a good consistent food source. Wait for snow and the coldest temperatures. Hunt it from mid day until dark and try not to scare anything on the way in. Does May be bedding on the edge of the food source.

Exactly my thoughts! Those secure pockets after gun season are not that hard to locate, just look for the thickest nastiest mess you wouldnt want to go in (or cant go through hahaha)

Last year in Jan, when temps were zero and a few degrees lower, my food source cams cam alive! Had three shooters on cams in three days, but I was 6 hours away :lol:
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:20 am

backstraps wrote:
Jdw wrote:Here is my .02 Find an area where a buck feels secure after gun season. Find a good consistent food source. Wait for snow and the coldest temperatures. Hunt it from mid day until dark and try not to scare anything on the way in. Does May be bedding on the edge of the food source.

Exactly my thoughts! Those secure pockets after gun season are not that hard to locate, just look for the thickest nastiest mess you wouldnt want to go in (or cant go through hahaha)

Last year in Jan, when temps were zero and a few degrees lower, my food source cams cam alive! Had three shooters on cams in three days, but I was 6 hours away :lol:

IMO it is the easiest time of year to get on a daylight pattern but they don’t tolerate much pressure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”