Deer sign in draws

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bub30

Deer sign in draws

Unread postby Bub30 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:08 am

I been out doing some looking I’m finding most of my buck sign in draws that are running from lower ground to higher also finding beds at the high points of the draws this is rolling hills an farm land mix is this normal

KPnorthdakota

Re: Deer sign in draws

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm

This is my experience, as well. However, those traveling lanes could be used at 2am. The beds at the top of the draws...are they back or doe?

My experience is that is where the does bed. The bucks will be bedding close (possibly) but maybe around the bin a bit...a little lower than the top.

Find the buck beds and hunt as close as you can without getting busted by the buck or the does.

This is all based on what I've learned here and what I am learning as I put to use in the field what I have learned here.

Hope this helps.

**To those more experienced than me, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Bub30

Unread postby Bub30 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm

I’m no expert an new to the hole finding an identifying deer beds but one for sure is a buck bed it’s up under an low over hanging branch an has two huge rubs 10 feet from them the others are all one lone bed but there all to where it is looking out in an open field with thick stuff to its back these beds ant just wore to the dirt but did have hair in them with rub lines going to them like I said this style of hunting is new to me just trying to make sure my thinking is right
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:52 pm

If it's a buck bed, as Dan says, get in it and see what he sees. In particularly, look to see where a good tree is that you can get in and not get busted.

Then, hunt that spot with a wind that is best for the buck. Then place yourself will you will get a shot before he hits your scent trail.

I hope that makes sense.
Bub30

Unread postby Bub30 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:32 pm

If it was doe bedding there should be more than one bed Wright
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Yes. Usually does bed in groups facing different directions.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm

You will kill more mature bucks in draws than timber any day in my opinion. West wind they travel on the east side, north wind they will be on the south side.
Bub30

Unread postby Bub30 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:11 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:You will kill more mature bucks in draws than timber any day in my opinion. West wind they travel on the east side, north wind they will be on the south side.

I sure can believe it I mean all my big buck signs (rubs) are mostly in them draws going into thick what I call doe bedding
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:56 am

I hunted fragmented farmland and woodlots for a while.

What you're seeing is pretty similar to what I saw.

Some of the draws came to a point in the fields. Lots of times the tip was brushy and held bedding. Buck and doe.

Really depends on the ditch on how it's used. I had some that bucks bedded in that I simply couldn't hunt. There was no way to do anything without him knowing.

Others were good rut spots. Others were bigger and used more. Just really depended on the size of the ditch, location of it and what was there and around it.

Some of the ditches are so thick and nasty with brush and blow downs and people using them as trash pits that it really limited deer travel....killer funnels. I look for those even in the big woods. Just found one last week. The deer trails came from every direction on each side and cut the top of the ditch because crossing it was a nightmare even for a deer....I have a feeling I will be killing bucks from that spot.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:15 am

Bub30 wrote:I been out doing some looking I’m finding most of my buck sign in draws that are running from lower ground to higher also finding beds at the high points of the draws this is rolling hills an farm land mix is this normal

I'm not seeing bedding much on top of draws it's on points or fingers sticking off ridges.

As far as sign above and in draws in almost every area I hunt yes bucks like draws because the falling thermal goes down into it from multiple directions letting the buck smell multiple directions at once and creates alot of wind swirl which is very difficult to hunt.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bub30

Unread postby Bub30 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Lots of good info never thought of the thermals an all the different wind swirls! An some of these beds there’s no way to get to them with out a deer knowing if they don’t smell you they see you !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”