Early snow natural browse

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wildland Outsider

Early snow natural browse

Unread postby Wildland Outsider » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 am

With this snowfall from yesterday-this morning what kinds of natural browse do you think the deer will be adjusting towards? The crop fields where I hunt have been picked for about a month now and I’m assuming the deer will be hitting some natural browse. I have a spot where oaks, a maple swamp with some 6-8” shoots, and a natural opening with green browse all meet together with some buckthorn kinda seperating them. I’m going to hunt it tonight and update this with my findings.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Early snow natural browse

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:00 am

Been wondering that myself. One field I hunt near was just cut last week, but another I hit for the first time on Saturday looks like it had been down for weeks and was picked over like you said. We were anticipating a huge snow dump that didn't materialize, but it would have made your question very timely indeed.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Wildland Outsider

Re: Early snow natural browse

Unread postby Wildland Outsider » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:31 pm

I wasn’t able to get the exact information I needed. I got into the woods late and wasn’t able to get back as far as I needed to. From what I saw, they are still back in the transitions I mentioned earlier. These transitions are either surrounded by swamp or part of the swamp. I think they will remain there until the ice gets thick enough to travel. But for now they have everything they need without having to travel.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”