Tree saddle?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zman

Tree saddle?

Unread postby Zman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:32 am

Does anyone around the Manitowoc, WI area hunt with a tree saddle? I’m interested to try it out/have someone show me how to use it before I buy one...

sir_tob

Re: Tree saddle?

Unread postby sir_tob » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 am

Visit saddle hunter.com it's a really good site for saddle related hunting.

I hunt with a saddle and I wouldn't trade it, but for many it's not an option. I'd say you have to be somewhat athletic at a minimum, and you can get as specific about your gear as you want to be such as weight and how you climb. I feel the saddle allows me more freedom to hunt where ever and gives me more tree options while carrying a little less weight most of the time depending on your climbing method and after you get used to it. I would say to start out with there's not much way to get around carrying a backpack and about 22 lbs of gear whether that's a climbing stand, a lone wolf hang on, or a saddle with various climbing methods. But if you are highly athletic you can choose several climbing methods and get your gear weight down to less than 10lbs. Maybe a little better (not including bow, just climbing gear). You see all these notes about this saddle or that saddle is only two pounds etc etc. but you've got ropes, carabiners, hangers for your bow and gear, foot platforms, the back pack and what ever climbing method you choose to add to the carry weight. So unless you decide to 'one stick climb', or use 'tree spurs' then you're going to be looking at about 20lbs in a back pack no matter what stand you use. I started with lone wolf sticks as a climbing method and went to a one stick climbing method.. basically i'm a squirrel. I'm down to about 6lbs using a combined one stick with platform. it's very inefficient to climb that way but I'd rather have the lite weight and portability to go as deep as I want to go and have more tree options. You still can't go too big as you have to be able to get the rope to the other hand so trees are still limited to less than 30" ish large and if you can hang a rope on it you can climb it. I've hunted out of some 5" trees that a regular stand wouldn't hang on. Tree still has to have a near vertical section or be able to hang something on the side of that that is vertical but thats precarious. Last year I hunted a marsh edge and due to the wind and cover selected a 5 inch sapling that I barely got above the grass, I was 5' off the ground, a young buck walked 7 yards away from me. I've had shots at a couple 125 to 130 class bucks that I've passed on. Oh, I would also say that you're probably not going to be able to shoot 360 degrees either, but that's probably more about how fast things happen and whiltetails ability to detect, but if you were straight up on top of one I guess you could move around, I wouldn't count on that tho. With all of that, I still wouldn't trade it.. my favorite way to hunt so far.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 pm

I live in north CENTRAL wi but will be in Green Bay for the holidays. I'd be happy to give you a demo of the full Tethrd system. I help guys every day get fitted in the Tethrd system.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 pm

sir_tob wrote:Visit saddle hunter.com it's a really good site for saddle related hunting.

I hunt with a saddle and I wouldn't trade it, but for many it's not an option. I'd say you have to be somewhat athletic at a minimum, and you can get as specific about your gear as you want to be such as weight and how you climb. I feel the saddle allows me more freedom to hunt where ever and gives me more tree options while carrying a little less weight most of the time depending on your climbing method and after you get used to it. I would say to start out with there's not much way to get around carrying a backpack and about 22 lbs of gear whether that's a climbing stand, a lone wolf hang on, or a saddle with various climbing methods. But if you are highly athletic you can choose several climbing methods and get your gear weight down to less than 10lbs. Maybe a little better (not including bow, just climbing gear). You see all these notes about this saddle or that saddle is only two pounds etc etc. but you've got ropes, carabiners, hangers for your bow and gear, foot platforms, the back pack and what ever climbing method you choose to add to the carry weight. So unless you decide to 'one stick climb', or use 'tree spurs' then you're going to be looking at about 20lbs in a back pack no matter what stand you use. I started with lone wolf sticks as a climbing method and went to a one stick climbing method.. basically i'm a squirrel. I'm down to about 6lbs using a combined one stick with platform. it's very inefficient to climb that way but I'd rather have the lite weight and portability to go as deep as I want to go and have more tree options. You still can't go too big as you have to be able to get the rope to the other hand so trees are still limited to less than 30" ish large and if you can hang a rope on it you can climb it. I've hunted out of some 5" trees that a regular stand wouldn't hang on. Tree still has to have a near vertical section or be able to hang something on the side of that that is vertical but thats precarious. Last year I hunted a marsh edge and due to the wind and cover selected a 5 inch sapling that I barely got above the grass, I was 5' off the ground, a young buck walked 7 yards away from me. I've had shots at a couple 125 to 130 class bucks that I've passed on. Oh, I would also say that you're probably not going to be able to shoot 360 degrees either, but that's probably more about how fast things happen and whiltetails ability to detect, but if you were straight up on top of one I guess you could move around, I wouldn't count on that tho. With all of that, I still wouldn't trade it.. my favorite way to hunt so far.

Good honest write up. I don’t saddle hunt yet, but I think a huge advantage is being about to potentially carry all of your gear in a backpack. Not all 20 pounds are equal. 20 lbs compact against your back in a comfortable pack is not the same as carrying a 20lbs tree stand. My biggest gripe with my lone wolf is that it catches every low hanging vine, snaps every branch, barbed wire, given that it is 8” wider than my torso.
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:05 am

yes, i'd agree, stands and climbing sticks will extend and catch stuff both horizontally and vertically; the saddle is definitely an improvement over the width of most stands . That said there are still some smaller ones and the sticks can still catch stuff. ... have to play with how the pack is set up for best carry but eventually you can get it fairly compact for your height. Mine is hardly noticeable any more how I have it packed and due to my climbing method. That is in stark comparison to when I started with climbing sticks and walking the edge of a blowdown area, I almost didn't get back out of the blowdowns, I was exhausted and getting stuck every 15' LOL.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:42 am

Cant help w/proximity, but a saddle is becoming another tool that I'm really liking this year. The truth is that a saddle adds some really cool things while causing new "situations". This year I'm having to wear a pack to haul neccessities and bungee sticks to, where everything was strapped to the stand last year. You can get around the tree , but you'll need a platform or other means. There is probably more noise sources because of carabiners, ropemen.....Overall, they are nice and everyone's set-ups are all different. Agree on the saddlehunter forum, too.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Ontariofarmer

Unread postby Ontariofarmer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:52 am

I have used the mantis, kestrel and the JX3 hybrid this year.

Weight breakdown.

Mantis with ropes - approx 3 pounds... Dan's sticks plus aiders and rope modification 6.5 pounds .... pack variable... 4.5 pounds for me tenzig turkey pack no frame. Ameristeps or a platform 3-4 pounds plus other gear.
Kestrel add 1.5 pounds to above
JX 3 hybrid 9.5 pounds plus rope... full frame pack and stand ropes... approx 2 pounds.... sticks 6.5 pounds. Platform is not necessary but is still a good option and really does improve the shooting flexibility. The JX 3 carries very well on the back. It carries Dan's sticks perfectly horizontally on the outside of the pack. They were made for that pack/stand.
NO knee pads are necessary with the JX 3 and no pack. It is super comfortable. I put a link to it below because it is another option.

https://www.jx3outdoors.com/shop/x3-hybrid/

Personally I use them all. I have not decided whether I like the mantis or kestrel better. I switched to a large kestrel this year and the comfort went way up. I wonder if I should have ordered an XL mantis which I find less comfortable than the kestrel so far. The weight of the mantis is such that I keep trying to like it.
The predator platform is great. I have used ameristep's up until now.
Zman

Unread postby Zman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:48 am

Thanks for the responses!

BassBoysLLP wrote:I live in north CENTRAL wi but will be in Green Bay for the holidays. I'd be happy to give you a demo of the full Tethrd system. I help guys every day get fitted in the Tethrd system.

Where about in Central WI are you located? Stevens Point is my old stomping grounds, and I occasionally go back there to visit a buddy that still lives in Point. Otherwise, I'm only about 30 mins from GB - I could definitely drive up if you will be in the area.

What about ALL DAY sits in a saddle? Is it do-able? I gut it out with a hang on stands (whether my Lone Wolf, or cheap hang ons with tiny seats and platforms) on a regular basis; but, I generally need to switch from standing/sitting every few hours to give my knees a break. An all day sit in a Summit climber, that's luxury (but it's big and bulky)! Since I'm looking to be even more mobile (potentially switching to a saddle), what is the REALITY of doing an all day sit in a saddle?
Benny

Unread postby Benny » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:48 am

Zman wrote:Thanks for the responses!

BassBoysLLP wrote:I live in north CENTRAL wi but will be in Green Bay for the holidays. I'd be happy to give you a demo of the full Tethrd system. I help guys every day get fitted in the Tethrd system.

Where about in Central WI are you located? Stevens Point is my old stomping grounds, and I occasionally go back there to visit a buddy that still lives in Point. Otherwise, I'm only about 30 mins from GB - I could definitely drive up if you will be in the area.

What about ALL DAY sits in a saddle? Is it do-able? I gut it out with a hang on stands (whether my Lone Wolf, or cheap hang ons with tiny seats and platforms) on a regular basis; but, I generally need to switch from standing/sitting every few hours to give my knees a break. An all day sit in a Summit climber, that's luxury (but it's big and bulky)! Since I'm looking to be even more mobile (potentially switching to a saddle), what is the REALITY of doing an all day sit in a saddle?

I’ve done multiple all day sits this year in the saddle. It does take practice getting everything set up the way you’d like. I recommend sitting in it for a few hours before the season starts. Because you may feel comfortable for a half hour in the back yard but that doesn’t translate well to the field but it’s a great starting point nonetheless. I suggest making your bridge adjustable with a prusik knot that way you can adjust on the fly. Then also buying 2 ropeman’s, 1 for linesman belt and 1 for your tether. If none of this makes sense yet to you, it will after you dive in to saddle hunting. Depends on my set up and tree whether I sit or lean that particular day but i’m Partial to sitting. Either way, I switch between the 2 for comfort during the sit. Twice this year i’ve been leaning and hear a deer come in and slowly transitioned to sitting. I was able to shoot both deer undected. Knee pads are a must too. I also recommend practicing all shot angles so you’re ready for anything. I recommend refreshing your senses on the shot positions too when you get set up because each tree is slightly different. Now i’m just rambling
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Zman wrote:Thanks for the responses!

All day sits are no problem. I actually prefer a saddle over a lone wolf hang on for all day comfort. Tough to beat a guido's web or a summit climber with the recliner seat though if comfort is #1.

As for location I live in the sticks NW of Wausau and work in Rothschild so close to Point
sir_tob

Unread postby sir_tob » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Zman wrote:
What about ALL DAY sits in a saddle? Is it do-able? I gut it out with a hang on stands (whether my Lone Wolf, or cheap hang ons with tiny seats and platforms) on a regular basis; but, I generally need to switch from standing/sitting every few hours to give my knees a break. ... what is the REALITY of doing an all day sit in a saddle?

You'll likely still have to do a little shifting between standing, leaning, and sitting to do an all day sit. It's still not quite a hammock but it's better for long sits than a seat of some sort. The saddles do spread out the weight better over a larger area.
Zman

Unread postby Zman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:31 am

Thanks again for the responses, much appreciated! Sorry, just a few more questions:

1) Is it possible to use a heater body suit with a saddle? (I’ve personally found the HBS to be a game changer for staying warm on all day sits later in the season in WI)
2) What about filming with a camera arm - is that feasible, or does it interfere with your bridge?
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 am

This is my first year hunting from a fleece saddle. I have been saddle hunting from some form or another of saddle for nearly 25 years. On private, climbing spikes are my way up in the tree. On public, I put on the RC harness, saddle and tether at the vehicle. I hang 6 WE Stepps from my pack handle with a carabiner, and bungee the stack onto my pack. Using the 'Cain Method', 4 steps have been getting me up high enough. Sometimes in the bottoms where I do most of my public hunting, 2 or 3 steps is all I need to stay below the skyline. I use two steps as a platform on public. On private I use a Lone Wolf Asssasin. I prefer a platform, just not the weight of the LW. I am interested in obtaining a TEHRD Predator platform for public, sometime down the road. Greg @ G2 Outdoors just put out a YouTube video today, that has piqued my interest. I plan on trying this method, soon. If I am comfortable with it, I may only need a step or two for climbing. The good old days of saddle hunting are now!
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:38 am

Has anyone tried the bullman outdoor silent approach steps ? They look like they would save some weight over other options
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Pse wrote:Has anyone tried the bullman outdoor silent approach steps ? They look like they would save some weight over other options

i have a set after trying hard too like them for over a year i went with sticks and platform. i think the platform is the way too go you can stand on it and adjust your saddle. you can stand on it and shoot your weak side better. everything about a platform is better and it gives you a place too carry your sticks too. just makes life better if you ask me and id say most guys end up going that way eventually. the way i pack in right now is four home made sticks with aiders a home made platform and i simply wear my saddle i use the linesmen belt like a pair of suspenders. i carry my tether in a bag on the mole web along with a strap on bow hanger i made with 3 hooks bow on left pack center quiver right. everything fits tight together and there is nothing too snag on brush. total weight with all gear is around 17 pounds but carrys like way less because i keep all the weight in line with my back. always pack your pack with the heavy stuff close and weight will be less.ImageImage
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”