Beds and Overhead Cover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Beds and Overhead Cover

Unread postby Octang » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 am

Do mature bucks, younger bucks and/or does care about overhead cover when bedding? If two spots are equal in every other way will they choose the spot that provides overhead cover? Does this differ depending on whether you are discussing bucks, does, or mature bucks?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Beds and Overhead Cover

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:32 pm

I believe based on observation that bucks prefer overhead cover. I don't think they like laying in the open sun. I think does are kinda the same, but, I notice doe groups laying in grass or open cover more. I have noticed that beds are sometimes positioned when in more open areas against some brush that casts a shadow. We are seeing a die off of ash trees and most of the cattail points in the marshs are ash. The bedding in those spots where the ash has died has reduced greatly as soon as the leaf cover was gone.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:49 am

dan wrote:I believe based on observation that bucks prefer overhead cover. I don't think they like laying in the open sun. I think does are kinda the same, but, I notice doe groups laying in grass or open cover more. I have noticed that beds are sometimes positioned when in more open areas against some brush that casts a shadow. We are seeing a die off of ash trees and most of the cattail points in the marshs are ash. The bedding in those spots where the ash has died has reduced greatly as soon as the leaf cover was gone.

Thanks, your input is always appreciated.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:55 am

Years ago the first buck bed I ever found was on a ridge point under a beech sapling, looked kind of like an umbrella. Today I would guess at least 2/3rds of the beds I find have some low cover over them. Thanks to the Beast I now know where to search and those saplings and other bits of cover are a dead giveaway. Referring generally to areas with a mix of hill country, farm country, and blocks of timber.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”