How Long to Wait?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

How Long to Wait?

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 am

Did some in season scouting and found a buck bed in some really thick brush. Knocked him out before I saw him and pretty sure he didn't see me either. Looks like a primary spot with doe bedding close by. My question is how long I should wait before hunting it? I know some say that with a soft bump you can hunt it sooner rather than later, but I am guessing when he returns he will smell my ground scent? Would it be best to lay off of it for a week or so?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: How Long to Wait?

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:02 am

Do a search on here for bump & dump.

A lot of guys would have hunted that buck immediately - there is a chance he came back after you left. The next day is not too soon either - if the weather is gonna be similar. Buck likes that area for whatever the weather was.

I had a buck that bedded in a patch of dog fennel - bumped him, hunted him the next day - never saw him. A week later we tried a push thru there and he had come back and bedded about 20 feet from the original bed during the 5 days between visits...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:09 am

This time of year id hunt it immediately
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:44 am

Ya, I've read some of the bump and dump posts, it is just a hard mentality to embrace for the first time. As I am thinking about it more, I may need to hunt it when the ground is wet, as it is super thick with crunchy leaves and no real trees to set up on. It is about 200 yds away from where I believe he goes to get water, is it possible that he will travel this far in daylight? There is a perfect tree set up for this but otherwise it would mean ground hunting.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 am

If he has a rub line nearby, I like your idea of ground hunting that area when the leaves are wet.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”