Deer field travel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Deer field travel

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:18 am

Yesterday I watched some 14 different deer over the course of an hour...I was totally undetected btw...these does travelled like they were on a string across the field staying consistently 30-40 yards from the field edge and then walked perpendicular into the next woodlot but they entered that woodlot rather spread out.

Any ideas why they would avoid the parallel field edge? I’m thinking coyotes but not being able to read a deer’s mind it’s all guesswork. They always seem to travel this particular field the same way, stay away from the edge until entering the woods.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
street28ss

Re: Deer field travel

Unread postby street28ss » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:08 am

Probably don't like the smell of humans from the hunters that have been in the wood lots the past few weeks?
muddy

Re: Deer field travel

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:12 am

I'd think there was some sort of danger associated with the tree line and once they made a safe beeline a few days in a row they just stick with the pattern, and will continue to do so until it gets disrupted.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

Return to “Deer Hunting”