Climber vs Sticks and Lock-on

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Climber vs Sticks and Lock-on

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Dewey wrote:I hunted out of a Summit Viper for many years and killed a lot of deer out of it. It's absolutely the most comfortable stand out there but a climber really limits how and where you hunt. I went to a hang on and sticks about 10 years ago and recently graduated to saddle hunting the last few years. It's amazing how much more versatile you can be when getting away from a climber. I also have LW climbers and use them from time to time but sticks/stand/saddle combination is used about 90% of the time.

I just packed my Summit Viper up to take along rifle hunting in the northwoods. I had to chuckle a bit at how enormous and bulky that set up is. Can't believe I hauled that monstrosity around on my back for so many years. :lol:

Do you like the saddle better than the hang on? What’s the differences?

A saddle is more comfortable, lighter, quieter, much less bulky and just plain fun to hunt out of.

I prefer my saddle over everything in warmer temps above 30 degrees but still haven’t found a way to hunt in real cold temps with my IWOM or HBS. It’s a little tough with the saddle so I switch to my other stands once the temps drop.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:12 am

Dewey wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
Dewey wrote:I hunted out of a Summit Viper for many years and killed a lot of deer out of it. It's absolutely the most comfortable stand out there but a climber really limits how and where you hunt. I went to a hang on and sticks about 10 years ago and recently graduated to saddle hunting the last few years. It's amazing how much more versatile you can be when getting away from a climber. I also have LW climbers and use them from time to time but sticks/stand/saddle combination is used about 90% of the time.

I just packed my Summit Viper up to take along rifle hunting in the northwoods. I had to chuckle a bit at how enormous and bulky that set up is. Can't believe I hauled that monstrosity around on my back for so many years. :lol:

A saddle is more comfortable, lighter, quieter, much less bulky and just plain fun to hunt out of.

I prefer my saddle over everything in warmer temps above 30 degrees but still haven’t found a way to hunt in real cold temps with my IWOM or HBS. It’s a little tough with the saddle so I switch to my other stands once the temps drop.

Thanks. What’s the biggest negatives about the saddle. I’m on the fence right now between a saddle vs dans stand and sticks.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:19 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Dewey wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

Thanks. What’s the biggest negatives about the saddle. I’m on the fence right now between a saddle vs dans stand and sticks.

Only negative I see is what I mentioned about cold weather but eventually I will figure that out. I think the perfect combination is Dan’s sticks and a saddle but that doesn’t mean I won’t buy Dan’s stand when it’s available. It will more than likely replace my LW Alpha.

I gotta say the Summit Viper sure makes a good lunch table. :lol:

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:01 am

Dewey wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
Dewey wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

Only negative I see is what I mentioned about cold weather but eventually I will figure that out. I think the perfect combination is Dan’s sticks and a saddle but that doesn’t mean I won’t buy Dan’s stand when it’s available. It will more than likely replace my LW Alpha.

I gotta say the Summit Viper sure makes a good lunch table. :lol:

Indeed!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
toughluck

Unread postby toughluck » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 am

briar wrote:
toughluck wrote:I will let you know how the switch goes. I've used a Summit Viper for years. My LW Assault ll just arrived yesterday, I went ahead and ordered the Hunt Comfort seat for it because I do all day sits during the rut. My Hawk Helium sticks came in last week and I already performed the rope mod on them. I also order the CMI 3 step etriers to use for aiders. I only ordered 2 so I will see how high in a tree I can get with 3 sticks and 2 aiders. I may end up ordered another for the 3rd stick. I am forcing myself to use this setup the rest of the season to get proficient with it. My first hunt in it will be Saturday morning, I will report back with my initial impressions.

How was it?

Firsr time out went fairly well. Setting up in the dark will take some getting used to but all in all, I can really see the benefits of a mobile hang-on set up. Yes, it takes longer than getting up a tree with a climber but it is much quieter. I did a 5 hour sit and while not as comfortable as my Summit, an all day sit wouldn't be horrible. Two things I need to do is get a stick quiver and better shoulder straps for the stand. Right now, I just have the sticks strapped together and then strapped to the stand. The shoulder straps that come with the stand are definitely lacking in the comfort department. But other than that, I'm glad I made the switch. You cannot beat the versatility.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 am

Good to hear. I also highly recommend getting one of those molle kidney belts that someone posted pictures of in this thread. It does such a good job of distributing the load and keeping the stand stable while walking through terrain. There’s a thread about people showing their mobile setups and there are some great examples of packing things on the stand.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:51 am

greenhorndave wrote:Good to hear. I also highly recommend getting one of those molle kidney belts that someone posted pictures of in this thread. It does such a good job of distributing the load and keeping the stand stable while walking through terrain. There’s a thread about people showing their mobile setups and there are some great examples of packing things on the stand.

I also highly recommend the molle belt. When set up right all the weight is distributed to your hips with nothing on the shoulders. All the shoulder straps do is balance the load. Makes packing stands so much more enjoyable.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Glad to hear it wasn't that bad. It gets easier every time. The benefits are huge and with practice it's very smooth. Keep at it and stay safe!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Dewey wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

You can do it in an iwom. Kinda. Need a second detachable bridge, or you can use your lineman’s belt. Hook onto your loops where your main bridge hooks in, and make sure to hook through the hip pockets on the iwom. So your bridge will look normal but will run through your pockets.

Doubt you will want to use it as a saddle since the iwom makes your feet into a big sausage, but if you want to use your saddle on a treestand and with the iwom, it’s the best way I’ve found to do it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Shockwave

Unread postby Shockwave » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:42 am

Reading these post, I'm wondering what I'm missing with the Summit!! LOL! The Alpha 2 and climbing sticks is all I've ever had so it's all I know. I also added the Molle straps, and Hunt Comfort seat. An all day sit is a breeze with that seat! I also have my method down well enough that I leave the ground once, have the stand set up in about 5-10 minutes and dont come down until I'm done hunting. You really can't get more mobile and versatile than a hang on setup like the LW or Muddy hang ons.
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:28 am

I made the switch after last season. I used a viper as well for years and it is a comfortable stand. What really drove me to making a decision was ditching my rifle for a bow. As a bow hunter hunting pressured public land I knew had to stay mobile. I have the lone wolf alpha II. It does take some time to get used to but well worth it. The light weight, quietness, and the low profile make it easy to pack, like others have said if you are doing an all day sit you may want an aftermarket seat.

In my opinion the biggest part for me was learning to use the lineman’s rope. When I would climb my sticks I tried to do it like climbing a ladder, instead I just use my rope and my hands rarely touch my sticks.
Scott/IL

Unread postby Scott/IL » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:39 pm

I spent a year hunting with my Summit climber, and it was amazingly comfortable. It was also bulky and noisy and I never killed a deer from it.

I went to a Lone Wolf and sticks in 2010 and haven’t looked back. I’ve killed about 80% of my deer out of this setup over the years. Just feels like much more of a killer setup as you’re slipping into a tree. I killed a buck this year swaying in an 8” tree with limbs going everywhere. No way a climber is getting in that sucker.

It does take some practice to do it put up, or take down in the dark though, but you get the hang of it after some practice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”