Ice is coming- what effect does it have on marsh hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Muktown19

Ice is coming- what effect does it have on marsh hunting?

Unread postby Muktown19 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 am

Looking at the forecast, we should have ice here in the next couple days, and it looks like it will stay near, or below freezing for the next ten days. When it starts to freeze, how will this affect the deer travel and bedding in the marshes? Do the deer avoid the marshes more when it's first ice? I thought that I heard Dan say that the deer don't like traveling through the marsh when the ice first forms, and they break through it when walking, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong? I want to keep hunting the marshes, but don't want to be wasting my time if the deer are shying away from them due to the new ice. Are the bucks running the transition lines still, but more on solid ground than along the edges with ice? The bucks will be locked down soon, but so far, they are still seeking/chasing from what I have seen. So how do you think that the first ice of the year affects their travel/bedding? Any ideas, opinions, and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

Edcyclopedia

Re: Ice is coming- what effect does it have on marsh hunting?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:04 am

It makes water hard... :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am

I see your from WI so I don’t need to tell you bedding has already been greatly affected by high water in the marshes so don’t see ice changing things too much initially this year. I agree most years that first shell ice gets the deer a bit skittish and they avoid it mainly because they know how much noise they make plus footing is pretty hard for them without snow on the ice for traction. Once the ice is good it opens up the entire marsh to bedding and things can get really tough then because they can bed literally anywhere.

I’m chomping at the bit for walkable ice to reach some of my favorite islands. Water is just too deep to reach them right now but I know the bucks are still out there. I would prefer the ice stays away until after the gun and muzzleloader seasons otherwise the bucks really get slaughtered.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 am

A question I had been wondering about as well. I will probably try to make the small private with a couple bucks on it (2 and 3 years old) pay off, but I was still interested in hitting the recesses of a swamp on the ground. Might not do that now as I don't think crunchy surface ice will help in a silent approach.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:It makes water hard... :mrgreen:

You beat me to it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 pm

tgreeno wrote:

You beat me to it!

The right answer is it makes big bucks much more accessible. ;)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

You beat me to it!

Only if the ice is thick enough to walk on. I'm usually pretty nervous walking on new ice in deep water cattails. It's a recipe for getting really wet with little to no warning!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

You beat me to it!

Only if the ice is thick enough to walk on. I'm usually pretty nervous walking on new ice in deep water cattails. It's a recipe for getting really wet with little to no warning!

All part of the adventure. I don’t feel right until I get my first dunking in freezing weather. :lol:
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:01 pm

We never get thick ice here but will get thin layers for a day or two. And the deer dont seem to start moving until the sun starts melting it. Soon as it starts melting is good movement. Not sure if it's the noise or it hurts thier feel on that sharp thin ice. But I'm sure its different once ice is thick enough to walk on.
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”