Two hour hunts... worth it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Two hour hunts... worth it?

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Can't kill one sitting on the couch!!!!

Since your not being fussy. Any edge habitats will work. May pay to quick scout 1 day, looking for hot fresh sign. Go in and sit over it the next.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
GrantHenderson

Unread postby GrantHenderson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Kraftd wrote:100%, I’ve also killed on short midday hunts working around kids schedules. Bonus is the kids love when you show up at daycare in bloody camo!

LMAO!!!! I'm leaning towards the happy meal on the way back... maybe a red bull and tie a harness to the kids. Pull!!!
BuffaloBill

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm

I've been out twice this week on public land just for a couple of hours in a section that I've never scouted. I went in the afternoon to try to avoid others. One day scouting and the second day hunting/ scouting. I've seen a doe and a six pointer. Quite a bit of deer sign. Going to try to get in early tomorrow and hopefully get something on the ground. My strategy is going to set up near a trail that I've seen a lot of tracks and some buck sign.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Most of my sits are 2 hours or less
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:59 pm

I was just talking to a guy about the 9-10 am hour. We both agree that's when we see the most deer.
GrantHenderson

Unread postby GrantHenderson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Rich M wrote:I was just talking to a guy about the 9-10 am hour. We both agree that's when we see the most deer.

Rich I wish I were having that problem...lol. I've sat from 9-11am every day since Monday. Im finding a bunch of fresh buck sign. Shapes and rubs. They've actually increased since I found the first sign on Monday. This dude just laid down a fresh rub line and the trees have gotten bigger. He's beating up on some 6" diameter trees. I have a feeling he's coming in as the sun's going down, which would make sense with all the hunters showing up for rut time. Early in the season ... Sept to mid October I had the whole 1200 acres to myself almost . Everything I'm learning will be applied to early season next year for sure.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:23 am

Sounds like you are in a great area.

Have you got a game camera you can set - see when he's making the sign and go from there?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:31 am

1st sit of the year = 90 minutes, Dead Doe
3rd sit of the year = 35 minutes, Dead Doe

So I think so :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
GrantHenderson

Unread postby GrantHenderson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:05 am

Rich M wrote:Sounds like you are in a great area.

Have you got a game camera you can set - see when he's making the sign and go from there?

Rich I did have a game cam . Set it up in August this year on a very heavy trail to see what was moving and in what directions. Well I didn't even make it to see a single pic. Popped out a week later to find it had some how liberated itself :? . I did get to glass some very large bucks running in bachelor groups in August. They were hanging out in the bean fields that back up to the public area.
But yes, I would love to put a cam out and see just what is cruising this area. I just hesitant because of dirty people.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:08 am

Understood - I have 2 cams with cable locks that I hang. Really helps understand the magical "when" times.

I do carry a stick and hang the cams about 8 ft up.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 am

Any time in the woods beats no time in the woods. A buck can't be killed if you don't hunt.

The deer I've seen recently are midday.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
GrantHenderson

Unread postby GrantHenderson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:58 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Any time in the woods beats no time in the woods. A buck can't be killed if you don't hunt.

The deer I've seen recently are midday.

Agree Tenn ,

I think the concern was shorter consecutive sits blowing out areas vs. Knowing you can allow yourself 4+ hours or an all day sit less frequently. The time in the woods would be almost the same, but which is the more productive of the two? Not sure if there is a correct answer on this just because it's so variable. I can say I've gained more Intel on multiple consecutive sits at different locations each time around the general area. I would not have gotten that from a single longer sit.

Love the input on the topic... keeping our deer brains fresh. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”