Hill Country, Rut. When to hunt low vs high?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hill Country, Rut. When to hunt low vs high?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Im hunting the end of a E/W ridge. Ill be hunting high on the ridge at the 1/3 or higher on the downwind side. As far as I know im supposed to be high enough that the wind from across the ridge keeps my scent going across the valley. Any lower and ill be swirling in the thermal tunnel. Is that correct or no?

I have 2 spots down lower, about 1/2 way down, that have good spots at the top of a draw. The draw only goes up to midhill and there is a good bench type feature there to hunt. My question is, when should you hunt these low spots at the top of a draw? Im guessing evening, the last hour or so. What about morning? Im guessing the thermal wont start going until 1-1.5 hours after daylight. This is on the north facing slope so less sun. A sidehill wind should make this good, especially in the evening, since the draw angles down.

I plan on hunting high during cruising time, with a plan to go lower the last 2 hours. The first light hour and a half I not sure how to hunt it best.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Hill Country, Rut. When to hunt low vs high?

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am

Do what makes you confident or hunt the sign. I personally dont and wouldnt move that much. Id setup lower for a AM hunt maybe but I sure wouldnt adjust a set twice in same day. Thats lack of confidence imo. Hunt the mature buck sign or hunt tight to the does. I have sat at the top of a draw watching young bucks push does at lower elevations thinking I should move but big rubs were higher up. End of the night bigger buck traveled his rubline at higher elevations.

If you are that worried just setup splitting the distance so you can possible shoot the 1/3 and 1/2 points OR just ground hunt man and adjust accordingly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”