Is he watching you?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swwave24

Is he watching you?

Unread postby swwave24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:34 am

Was talking to a guy at work about his son’s target buck.

Kind of an interesting story. My coworker was telling me, when his kid left the stand, the target buck would come by the stand 5-10 minutes after he would leave from hunting.

His kid had trail camera in the tree stand location.

I’m thinking to myself, that buck is watching your kid every time he comes and goes from the stand.

Just another story of how mature bucks can pattern people. I told him your son needs to get mobile. Possibly hunt the downwind side of that stand, find a spot just out of vision, or if he doesn’t kill him find that bed!

So in anyone else’s situation. Is he watching you?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Is he watching you?

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:56 am

That or the deer can hear him.

Sounds like a good situation for a 2-man attack. Both guys go in for morning hunt, 1 guy leaves at given time, other gets to shoot buck who comes in to check things out. Deer probably scent checks spot on way in.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 am

Rich M wrote:That or the deer can hear him.

Sounds like a good situation for a 2-man attack. Both guys go in for morning hunt, 1 guy leaves at given time, other gets to shoot buck who comes in to check things out. Deer probably scent checks spot on way in.

Was going to post this as well, two guys walk in and hunt it, one leaves and the other stays to shoot the buck. I would have the kid setup somewhere else other than the stand, the buck would know if he stayed in the same tree.
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:18 am

Yep, that’s an idea I gave him. Hopefully they try and pull it off.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 am

I’ve heard of guys using that tactic with bait piles. One guy would make noise leaving. Dan had a similar story when he guided about a guy he dropped off at a stand. He didn’t get far and the guy killed the buck
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 am

Yep! As many have stated the answer to there prob is right between there ears. Found many ways to attack the situation but I'm a curious person
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:52 pm

Back in 2015 my Dad killed an 8 pointer on public about 15 minutes after I went to speak with him and left during his hunt. I must have walked past this buck, then stood there and spoke to Dad, then walked past the buck again to leave. The buck then stood right where I had walked looking around when Dad killed him with his crossbow at 10 yards.

Last year I walked dad to his spot in the dark before sunrise when we jumped a deer in our headlamps. I told him that I was going to wait and get him very situated and comfortable so that when I walked away he wouldn't need to make any more noise. The deer came right back 20 minutes after I left.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm

I think they see us way more than we know. Even when we sneaking into stand.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:34 pm

im going too have too start bringing a bag full of rocks and throw them from my tree so it sounds like im walking away. i have killed a couple meat deer with a cargo pocket full of acorns ill just throw them under my tree all afternoon :lol:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”