Thermal question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KYBow

Thermal question

Unread postby KYBow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:50 am

This weekend I will be hunting a bluff facing east, with a projected west wind. The top of the bluff is a paved road which is where I plan to access and walk straight down to the tree I plan to hunt. I know the thermals will rise as the sun comes up, but should I wait until the sun comes up to get setup? Also there is another bluff on the other side of the valley facing west, with the valley running north to south, will the sun need to cress the trees on the other side of the bluff before my thermals start to rise rather then being pulled down the bluff. Thanks a lot for all the help in advance.

Jay

Re: Thermal question

Unread postby Jay » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:37 pm

How far down the hill is the tree you plan to hunt?
KYBow

Unread postby KYBow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:15 am

Right around the military crest, there's a shelf about 40 yards wide and I plan on hunting a tree closest to my entry along that shelf.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Your thermals will typically fall off the bluff and into the valley during the early morning. If the deer are feeding down low then you’ll run the risk of blowing them out before they come up to bed. If you expect them to be feeding on top and heading along the bluff then it could be a great setup as long as you’re closer to the bluff than the trail.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”