I finally did it!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

I finally did it!!

Unread postby BowHusker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 pm

No I didn't kill a slob...but I did finally get in clean and set up without any detection. That is a huge accomplishment for me at this stage in my beast learning. I have a horrible habit of going to fast and screwing up my hunt before I even get to my tree most of the time.

Tonight I went into some very heavily pressured public river bottom close to where I live. I know most of this area gets pounded hard but there are a few islands that 90% of hunters aren't willing to get wet for. The river channel was way deeper than I anticipated and all of my gear was soaked but today, I was staying focused and nothing was going to stop me from doing it right. I had never set foot on this island before but it had an ox bow (if islands can have ox bows lol) that the south wind was blowing straight into. I knew bucks would be bedding in there.

After crossing to the island I knew I made the right decision instantly. There was deer poop everywhere and as I pushed slowly forward, I came across a very big set of tracks that led to a scrape. Usually this is when I screw things up and go to fast, but not today. I actually took my stand off my back and just sat down for a bit and tried to pick the best path going forward.

I finally found a suitable tree and got set up the quietest I have ever set up thus far. About an hour into the sit I had a doe come by. Followed very shortly by a unicorn buck, followed immediately by a 2.5 yr old 10 point that I caught a glimpse of getting out of his bed. I was estatic!! Seriously!! I was just smiling from ear to ear that I actually did it right, got close to bedding and saw the buck get out of his bed 70 yds away. I almost took the 20 yd shot just to get my first beast kill but I just couldn't do it. I've been very fortunate to have harvested some great deer in my young hunting career and I just can't take those youngster's who have such great potential!

Sorry for the long post over nothing more than a sighting and a good setup but this was a big deal for me. I was really frustrated with not being "good" at this beast style of hunting after a couple of seasons but I finally get it. The answers are in the details, all of them. And that's the recipe I will continue follow. Trust the process!

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
BorealBushMN

Re: I finally did it!!

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Awesome man! I bet that felt great! Cheers!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:48 pm

BowHusker wrote:No I didn't kill a slob...but I did finally get in clean and set up without any detection. That is a huge accomplishment for me at this stage in my beast learning. I have a horrible habit of going to fast and screwing up my hunt before I even get to my tree most of the time.

Tonight I went into some very heavily pressured public river bottom close to where I live. I know most of this area gets pounded hard but there are a few islands that 90% of hunters aren't willing to get wet for. The river channel was way deeper than I anticipated and all of my gear was soaked but today, I was staying focused and nothing was going to stop me from doing it right. I had never set foot on this island before but it had an ox bow (if islands can have ox bows lol) that the south wind was blowing straight into. I knew bucks would be bedding in there.

After crossing to the island I knew I made the right decision instantly. There was deer poop everywhere and as I pushed slowly forward, I came across a very big set of tracks that led to a scrape. Usually this is when I screw things up and go to fast, but not today. I actually took my stand off my back and just sat down for a bit and tried to pick the best path going forward.

I finally found a suitable tree and got set up the quietest I have ever set up thus far. About an hour into the sit I had a doe come by. Followed very shortly by a unicorn buck, followed immediately by a 2.5 yr old 10 point that I caught a glimpse of getting out of his bed. I was estatic!! Seriously!! I was just smiling from ear to ear that I actually did it right, got close to bedding and saw the buck get out of his bed 70 yds away. I almost took the 20 yd shot just to get my first beast kill but I just couldn't do it. I've been very fortunate to have harvested some great deer in my young hunting career and I just can't take those youngster's who have such great potential!

Sorry for the long post over nothing more than a sighting and a good setup but this was a big deal for me. I was really frustrated with not being "good" at this beast style of hunting after a couple of seasons but I finally get it. The answers are in the details, all of them. And that's the recipe I will continue follow. Trust the process!

I can appreciate that as a fellow newb. Nice. Satisfying, even if it doesn’t end in a trophy kill. Thanks for sharing and continued good luck!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Congrats!!

I think that's one of the most important thing is to deer hunting in general...more so hunting bedding areas...but, access and stealth is huge.

You have to visualize everything before you do it. Where the deer are...where the deer are going to travel..where the wind is blowing...how to access without your wind going to the deer or where they are going...getting there quietly and setting up quietly.

For my first 10 years I never considered any of it. I knew where I wanted to hunt because there was deer sign or a food source and I just walked there. I tried not to sound like an elephant..but I wasn't super stealthy...and wind? Ha. I had no idea where deer we're or where they'd be coming from really..I just knew they might show up and kept the wind in my face and the scrapes or food source or whatever upwind of me...

The importance of those little details are huge.

Sounds like it won't be long before you start dropping slobs regularly! Once it starts to click it seems to get "easier" in terms of understanding what you're looking at and how to hunt it...to the point you can do like you did today and go in with a stand and get on deer you've never scouted.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Really cool story and way to keep after it. Even though there wasn't a kill I'd still say your hard work paid off. Always nice to see proof your getting better at something.
SD_Bowhunter

Unread postby SD_Bowhunter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:33 am

Way to go! I found myself doing the same thing a couple of times this year. For some reason no matter how early I head in I always feels this sense of urgency to get set up in the stand. I always have to remind myself to stop sometimes and let myself calm down then continue on.
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:41 am

I look forward to the day I get to write a post like this. Congrats man, that is a great achievement. Especially mapping with that accuracy, you didn’t even have to put boots on the ground and you got it right the first time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:47 am

Way to go! There is certainly a steeper learning curve to this style of hunting, it take a lot of practice and repetition to be really stealthy.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:38 am

Awesome! I am working on being able to do this consistently. It is definitely tough!
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the positive responses guys! I honestly can't believe how hard it is for me to just slow down and go slow, I always feel this undeniable sense of urgency to hurry up and get in a tree. It's definitely a work in progress but I will get there.

I think the hunting God's gave me a very big piece of humble pie tonight as I wrapped up my week long hunting trip. I went into another unscouted area tonight and while I thought I had a great access... I bumped deer all the way in. I saw one 1.5 yr old a two does the entire sit. It just goes to prove I HAVE to do my due diligence in regards to off season scouting. Pretty sure I've said that for 3 seasons now lol...next season will be the year I do an awesome job at that.

In 7 days I saw zero mature bucks. That's on me for not having proper Intel though and maximizing my time in the field. If you look at the historically successful hunters, or any successful person for that matter...they do all the little things well which naturally leads to success. Success leaves clues, follow the habits of success! Fail early, fail often, but fail forward!
AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

That’s good to hear.
Congrats!!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 am

BowHusker wrote:Sorry for the long post over nothing more than a sighting and a good setup but this was a big deal for me. I was really frustrated with not being "good" at this beast style of hunting after a couple of seasons but I finally get it. The answers are in the details, all of them. And that's the recipe I will continue follow. Trust the process!

Don't downplay your success or apologize for it! Sounds to me like a giant leap in your evolution as a hunter. Congratulations and keep at it man.
HudsonBay

Unread postby HudsonBay » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:01 am

Congrats BowHusker! Keep up the good work.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 am

:dance:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:29 am

Sweet! Sounds like you found yourself a honey hole.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”