More of an Archery Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

revfox27
Facebook: Brett Alan Fox

More of an Archery Question

Unread postby revfox27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 am

Question for my more experienced archers out there. I am pretty new when it comes to the compound bow. We took a class and I try to shoot regularly, but not nearly enough.

This weekend I had an issue. I put on all my gear that I will be wearing in the tree stand, jacket, binos, range finder, etc. When I started shooting, I was shooting consistently about 8 inches to the left of center. Up and down was fine.

I was super confused at first, but adjusted my sight and was fine.

I then took off my jacket and wore just my light shirt and gear that I will be wearing this tuesday evening, when it will be in the 60's and my stand will be in the sun...then I was like 8 inches to the right (since my sight had been changed.)

Clearly, I am holding differently or something when I have all my gear on. Any suggestions? I am fine with adjusting the sight depending on situation, but also want to make sure that I am consistently holding the same way and want to make sure I can be confident in the stand.

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks!

AfootTrack56

Re: More of an Archery Question

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 am

Something changed in your form. Is the string making contact with your jacket? Are you using thick gloves? Wearing a beanie could have some affect as well. Lots of things. I can’t shoot with a glove on my release hand or wearing a winter hat over my ears when I anchor. Things just don’t line up correctly if I do. Your grip pressure may have changed with gloves on. Some gloves have grippy stuff on the palms and fingers, that could cause problems too. Sight in like normal. Then put all your gear on. Shoot that way. You’ll probably be off the mark like you stated. Then just take your gloves off. Try again. Don’t adjust your sight at all. If no change, try something else. You’ll find what’s giving you issues. You can have someone film you shoot too. That can show you things you’re overlooking. Big jacket collars can hit the string as well. That may be worth a look.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:28 am

I'd say you're getting string contact with your sleeve.

Having your draw length correctly set is a key to not fighting this. String stoppers and an arm guard to compress your coat can also help.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:09 am

When I started I had a similar issue but once I started using a peep sight everything really tightyup.
revfox27
Facebook: Brett Alan Fox

Unread postby revfox27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:01 am

Thanks.

I was not using gloves and try not to even with rifles. Usually can keep my hands warm enough in my pockets until go time.

My string was not hitting my bow arm. The jacket is Firstlite and the arms are cut pretty nice. I do think I am possibly canting the bow and the collar may be the culprit. Not sure.

I do use a peepsight, which makes me think that it is something the string is pushing off of or making my push the bow in a certain way thats different than when I'm just wearing a light shirt. Will try to get my wife to film me the next time we shoot together.

whatever I was doing though, I was consistent, and able to still have a tight group, just not in the same place.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 pm

8" left with jacket on.

Back to zero with jacket off.

It may not be the sleeve but clothing contact sure seems like the first place to look.

What distance are you shooting? You mentioned possibly canting the bow but at 20 yards you'd have to cant the bow at a 45 to move point of impact 8".
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Guide2Gear
Facebook: Trey Arentz

Unread postby Guide2Gear » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm

I would maybe check for cam lean. When bow is full drawn look up at the cam and see if the string is in line with the center of the cam. Your grip may change due to compensating for the jacket. I had a problem with this for years. Sounds like a grip problem to me. Also, make sure your sight is centered in your pep.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”