Camo patterns. Does it make a difference?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WiWhitetail

Re: Camo patterns. Does it make a difference?

Unread postby WiWhitetail » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:47 pm

I just try to break up my outline. No need to match the color. Lots of big bucks a killed by guys in solid orange. My personal favorite is real tree tree bark from the late 90s.

Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:58 am

don't think it matters much at all. I have everything under the sun and rotate based on weather conditions. I was in my 20 year old jacket last night that's been washed so much its now purple in color. didn't get seen. sitting still is the most important thing.

I love to window shop the net every year for new stuff but never buy. Then I get in the tree and realize I don't need to waste money on new stuff. the old stuff still gets the job done.

have fun and wear whatever makes you happy.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:00 am

MDSikajunkie wrote:
Dewey wrote:
headgear wrote:I'd say 90% of the time you might not need it so I understand people passing it off as "confidence" but if you spend a lot of time hunting you will get picked off at some point and that is when the open patterns shine. We talk a lot of about focusing on the smallest details, camo can be one of them.

Exactly. I would never tell anybody else what to do but this is one of those small details that can make or break a hunt. I totally understand those who believe it doesn't make a difference and won't argue that point. Just passing on my experience over the years that proved to me it does make a huge difference.

This a an almost perfect answer. My only addition is:
Bow hunting or gun? Reasoning is that it matters most when you will be close proximity without front/back cover. Even when motionless a large blob that wasn’t there yesterday WILL get noticed. So I use ASAT exclusively because that’s what I bought but Predator, FL Fusion and a few from Sitka all achieve a similar thing. Almost 100% of the time I’ve gotten busted is when I move because I was not staying in the moment and consciously thinking about very slow deliberate movements.

But, as stated earlier, Plaid has killed a ton of deer and many from very close with a recurve. So camo is optional and a personal preference in the grand scheme of things.

Where Im from deer are usually running away for the their lives from other hunters during the gun season so camo, IMO, is kinda pointless.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 am

I personally don' think it matters anymore. In my younger years I though the camo pattern matter but not anymore. I've killed as many deer within 40 yards with my gun in solid blaze orange jacket and hat as I have with camo. Deer don't see like humans and I think that came patterns change because of marketing, companies need to sell more product and they won't do it (or do it as rapidly) if they have the same pattern year after year.

A guy that hunts near me has MANY big mature bucks on the wall. He doesn't wear the latest or greatest camo but his trick has always been to find either a tree wider than he is or has great cover (cedars behind you, oaks with leaves still, etc) and that will increase your chances. His best luck has always been to find the largest, oldest oaks and if its in a good location for deer movement, thats your spot. I've put permanent stands on spots like that done pretty well hunting them just once or twice a year.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:20 am

Looking over a lot of these responses got my wheels turning. I'm on the record many times saying any Camo doesnt make a darn. The more I think of it I'm wrong, there's just numerous ways to go about it with each individual's hunting style and weaponry. I mean nobody is going out early season decked out in all white!

For myself, I rely on ample cover and hidding in the shadows. For me anything dark works much like the blackout effect from a ground blinde. When I transitioned to traditional tackle this is what I found works best for me when having to draw down on a animal up close and personnel. That said I've never tried a open pattern and hung a stand on a telephone pole. My fear is even if I disappear from a distance, if I'm in the wide open and have to make all the movements to get off a shot up close and personal I'm gonna be screwed.

But I still wear Camo a lot of the time. I get so much of it for gifts and such. Sometimes it just puts me in the mood, heck sometimes I paint my face so I feel like John Rambo.

Still boils down to me about blending into something, being still and having confidence in whatever the heck u deem necessary.

Cheers!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:52 am

My go-to is whatever smelly camo top I have laying in the back of the truck and blue jeans lol... my top half is usually a cattail, “duck hunter” pattern tho. I’ve seen guys wearing standard mossy oak or realtree camo in the edges of marsh and boy do they stick out. Almost looks like a black bear from a distance because of how dark it is. What you see in these pics is what I was actually wearing. Now I have to say that I almost exclusively hunt from the ground...as in I kneel on the ground and crouch down in whatever cover I can hide in. Which is wear I wear the ultimate warrior paint a lot lol. I wear ghille suits sometimes also. 90% of my hunts occur straight after work and I keep my work pants on. Heck, opening night I actually sat in a stand, 1 stick high, and I wasn’t even wearing a shirt (side bet that I couldn’t handle the mosquitoes lol) and had 4 different deer within 15 yds. Staying still is the best camo. Most of my camo is 10+ years old.

All depends on the terrain you’re in and whether you’re in a tree or not. Just need to break up your pattern. I don’t think it matters a whole heck of a lot tho

How bad do you want it?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:48 pm

yes
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:24 am

Ack wrote:Have someone put on your Sitka and climb a tree, then look at them from 20 yards away....I think you'll be surprised at how effective the pattern is.....I know I was. Great pattern for stand hunting.

This is exactly right.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:35 am

Not necessary isn't the same thing as not helpful.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:49 am

Drenalin wrote:Not necessary isn't the same thing as not helpful.

Like we always say nothing is 100%, I would never say I need camo 100% on every hunt, not even close. On the flip side you can't say camo is 100% pixie dust or you are selling yourself short by speaking in absolutes, there are times when it can be critical.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 am

headgear wrote:
Drenalin wrote:Not necessary isn't the same thing as not helpful.

Like we always say nothing is 100%, I would never say I need camo 100% on every hunt, not even close. On the flip side you can't say camo is 100% pixie dust or you are selling yourself short by speaking in absolutes, there are times when it can be critical.

Agreed.
gcronin

Unread postby gcronin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:08 am

wolfie729 wrote:Always ran realtree xtra but recently bought some sitka and feel like I stand out like a sore thumb. What do you guys think does camo pattern make a difference?

I made the switch to Sitka last season, mainly for the warmth. For deer, I have noticed that they have been getting closer in range to me. This probably has more to do with using beast tactics, but when they do look up they often look away quickly with little no concern. Probably won't be the best choice for turkey season though unless you went with their subalpine pattern. Overall though, I love mine!
Graham C.
Social Media - Vortex Optics
gcronin@vortexoptics.com
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 am

Do I think camo is extreme over rated? Yes.

Do I think there is a time and place for it? Yes.

Should you try to match your clothing to the type of terrain you will be in (tree, ground, what type of tree, will you be skylines?). Yes.

No camo is perfect for every situation. Good to have some options, and when in doubt, just different shades of brown would probably suffice.

Just don’t overspend on camo would be my advice. Now, Sitka (and others) have other great things (warmth, quietness, efficiency), so doesn’t mean don’t buy. I bought a fanatic jacket, not because of camo at all tho, because of all the other stuff.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
westmichigander

Unread postby westmichigander » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:39 am

beating a dead horse but I've had them "look right through me" with solids on. Just don't move. I think it helps to have different shades so you aren't just one giant blob but yeah don't move.
I've never seen someone decked out in RealTree in the store and thought, oh dang a tree standing there.. Deer don't either I assume
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:52 am

westmichigander wrote:beating a dead horse but I've had them "look right through me" with solids on. Just don't move. I think it helps to have different shades so you aren't just one giant blob but yeah don't move.
I've never seen someone decked out in RealTree in the store and thought, oh dang a tree standing there.. Deer don't either I assume

Exactly
How bad do you want it?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”